I am by no stretch an advanced BlackBerry expert, however I do know how to use the device to my advantage, and I�ve had one attached to my hip for the better part of 2 years now. So I know a thing or two about the CrackBerry.

I started off with the 7250, moved to the Curve 8330, and now I own the Storm.

This thread isn�t me bashing the Storm. Just stating some things I�ve noticed.

Lately, I�ve noticed that RIM/BlackBerry has begun marketing towards everyone, not just business people. You can walk down the street, drive by a school, visit a College or University, everyone has a BlackBerry now. I�m pretty sure not everyone who has a BlackBerry is using it because of its QWERTY keyboard, or its push email services.

One thing I really appreciated about the 7250, and the Curve, was the real keyboard. I�ve had the Storm for a few days now, and I still haven�t gotten the least bit used to the virtual keyboard. The phone in general says �BlackBerry� but it feels like the original idea behind BlackBerry has been lost in this multimedia, personal entertainment device.

I mean, yeah the Storm still have those small things that only BlackBerries have, such as the PIN messaging, push email, and the familiarity of the BB its self, but I still feel that something is lost on this device.

Here�s a small list of things I�ve noticed:

The accelerometer sucks, I can�t seem to use the device in any position except the proper up right, or landscape position without it flipping to the other, if I use it up right, and slightly turn it to the right, boom, landscape mode.

The software is buggy, I can�t play a song and let the screen fade out, because when I go to tap the screen, the device reboots, every time.
    The camera takes 8 seconds to snap a picture, a picture of poor quality that is.

I miss the real keyboard -- I had wanted to upgrade Blackberries, but also wanted to handicap my texting ability, sounds stupid but I had a texting issue, I texted way too much, I needed something to slow me down and make it more difficult to text. On the storm, I can�t do it at all; it takes me 7 minutes to output a single message. I can�t text without both hands, where I could with the real keyboard.

I think I�m going to switch to the 8830 World Edition?
    03-28-09 08:37 AM
    Hmmm... I also have a Storm from Telus and love it, however, most of the problems you speak of have been fixed in the newest leaked OS's. I am currently running BBcrackmans .113/.114 Hybrid V2 and my phone is amazingly fast everything works great, however, I heard V3 is coming out in the next couple of days maybe even today which I'm gonna give a try as well. Accelerometer issue you speak of is gone, the screens switch almost instantly.

The keyboard is hard to get used to but after 2 or 3 weeks you really start getting the hang of it. I actually really like the Suretype keyboard now. I type at about 70 words per minute at the moment and there is no lag in the typing on this OS build.

I also agree that a lot of kids are getting BB's now cause it's the cool thing at the moment but I have no problem with that, as long as BB doesn't ditch us Business Clients not that they ever would but I love it for my business.

Btw BB should be releasing some new phones around May/June if you still don't like the storm maybe they'll roll out something that will feel more comfortable for you. I personally love the huge screen, just wish the OS was as good as the phone. Would like to see a specific OS for the Storm that actually utilizes this devices capabilities.
    Last edited by StevenG; 03-28-09 at 08:58 AM.
    03-28-09 08:53 AM
    +1 on everything steven just said!

And this thing will only get better with time. Feels to me like RIM just dressed up a standard BB OS to "work" with the storm in time for Christmas (probably due to VSW pressures). Updates will probably continue to make this phone better, if the last 4 months are any indication.
    03-28-09 09:53 AM
    -The accelerometer is much faster in the newer leaked operating systems
    -Yes its still buggy but much much much faster
    -you'll get used to the typing, give it time and practice.
    -if the screen is difficult to press try the torn screw fix, it works wonders. After applying this fix, I can fly when typing on the keyboard
    - if you need memory try completely wiping the phone with JL cmdr, but only if your comfortable doing so
    (search for the tutorial). On average I have 50mb of space.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-28-09 10:03 AM
    Thanks for the input guys, what OS should I go to? I'm not sure about running hybrids, but I would like to run something stable. I've had to pull the battery 3 times today, and it restarted by its self twice today when I tried to activate the screen.

.113? .114?

I'm running 4.7.0.76 right now, how old is this?
    Last edited by wxmancanada; 03-28-09 at 05:11 PM.
    03-28-09 05:08 PM
    .113 is the way to go (.109 is better for stability and battery life, but it's also slower). .114 has issues.
    03-28-09 05:14 PM
    Thanks for the input guys, what OS should I go to? I'm not sure about running hybrids, but I would like to run something stable. I've had to pull the battery 3 times today, and it restarted by its self twice today when I tried to activate the screen.

.113? .114?

I'm running 4.7.0.76 right now, how old is this?
    Yeah if you don't want a hybrid either the legit .113 or the .114 release for the 9530 but I've been hearing good things about the .113 as well people have said it is better then .114, however, results do vary from BB to BB as you will find in the threads.

Check out the beta OS discussion section and you will find a guide on how to do it so you know what to expect and grab a copy of .113 from one of the threads they should be near the top, if not just try a search should come right up.

Just make sure you get the 9530 version as there are two, Telus has the 9530 you could find this in the Options>About section I believe just to confirm before you download.
    Last edited by StevenG; 03-28-09 at 06:18 PM.
    03-28-09 06:16 PM
    0.02? Did you mean two cents?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-28-09 06:33 PM
    Yes, update your software and speed up your keyboard response options.
    03-28-09 10:22 PM
    I know you stated you don't like hybrid builds, however, I had installed the .114 Hybrid V3 from BBCrackman and it is a great OS better then .113. Might wanna try it out just to see what you think, if you don't like it you can always downgrade.

Just thought I'd let you know =)
    03-29-09 02:11 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD