I just got a new blackberry storm Tuesday. Before, i had the same one but had to get a new one bc mine kept shutting down on its own.

So anyways. i always get a new ringtone every other day. after saving it, i go back and rename it. When i explore On my media card, it shows once. but when i go to choose my ringtone for, lets say, SMS, i see it twice or however many times it took me to renamed it.
    I was hoping with my phone being new, it would probably go away... but it didnt.
    Ive looked on here for an hour but couldn't find any help.
    So if someone can, please help!

Thanks.
    03-13-09 02:54 AM
    stop renaming your ringtones?! KIDDING!

i have no idea...

*BUMP*
    03-13-09 07:25 AM
    I am having the same problem. I keep my tones on the media card in the ring tone file and even some of the files I have deleted are still listed.
    This is becoming annoying because some of the re-listed names don't ring and they are not in any kind of order so I have to test each one as I set it to make sure my default tone doesn't play instead.
    Any ideas on how to remove these?
    Thanks!
    04-04-09 09:51 PM
    I was having the same problem and found a thread on the forums that fixes it...

Go into your Media app... press BB/Menu button... click "Explore"... click "Media Card" (or "Device Memory"--whichever place you have your ringtones stored)... click into your "Ringtones" folder... press BB/Menu button... click "Show Hidden"... this should show you a file called "BBThumbs.dat"... highlight this file (don't click)... press BB/Menu button, then "Delete"... finally, do a battery pull. This will reload the media card, and should take care of the duplicate ringtones you are seeing. (It will put a new BBThumbs.dat file in the folder that represents what you actually have in that folder.)

It was suggested that you delete the BBThumbs.dat file whenever you add new media to your phone (if it is music, you would do all of the above in the "Music" folder instead of the "Ringtones" folder, etc...).
    04-04-09 10:00 PM
    it worked!!!! thanks so much!
    04-04-09 10:30 PM
    Glad I could help!
    04-04-09 10:34 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD