I apologize if this has been answered already.

I've heard about the multi-touch to select a portion of text, but has there been any news about gestures to do things like zoom in and out of web pages and google maps or copy and paste?
    10-09-08 10:36 AM
    I apologize if this has been answered already.

I've heard about the multi-touch to select a portion of text, but has there been any news about gestures to do things like zoom in and out of web pages and google maps or copy and paste?
    Here's an article on all that:
    BlackBerry Storm: ClickThrough based on Synaptics technology - infoSync World

To sum up:
    The BlackBerry Storm also takes advantage of Synaptics' Enhanced Gesture Recognition (EGR), enabling single-finger gestures - Tap, Double Tap, Press, and Flick - as well as a multi-finger gesture, Pinch.

A flick can be used to scroll through photos or playlists.
    A pinch can be used to zoom-in on or zoom-out of items such as photos, maps or documents.
    A press can be used to display pop-up information (the finger remains down until the information displays).
    A tap can be used to launch an application or to close a window.
    A tap-and-slide gesture can be used for moving items such as icons or files, or for instance used to select a name from a contacts list to add someone to a conference call.
    A double-tap can be used to launch an application.

Combined with BlackBerry OS 4.7 found in the BlackBerry Storm, these gestures have also been applied to several other scenarios, such as marking text for copying and double-tap for writing.
    10-09-08 12:56 PM
    Here's an article on all that:
    BlackBerry Storm: ClickThrough based on Synaptics technology - infoSync World

To sum up:
    The BlackBerry Storm also takes advantage of Synaptics' Enhanced Gesture Recognition (EGR), enabling single-finger gestures - Tap, Double Tap, Press, and Flick - as well as a multi-finger gesture, Pinch.

A pinch can be used to zoom-in on or zoom-out of items such as photos, maps or documents.
    A press can be used to display pop-up information (the finger remains down until the information displays).
    A tap-and-slide gesture can be used for moving items such as icons or files, or for instance used to select a name from a contacts list to add someone to a conference call.

Combined with BlackBerry OS 4.7 found in the BlackBerry Storm, these gestures have also been applied to several other scenarios, such as marking text for copying and double-tap for writing.

perfect, thanks for pulling this up
    10-09-08 03:13 PM
    I personally want a "middle-finger" gesture recognition that automatically replies to emails/messages with a STFU.
    10-09-08 03:36 PM
    I personally want a "middle-finger" gesture recognition that automatically replies to emails/messages with a STFU.
    ...........lol
    10-09-08 04:02 PM
    I will be very happy if the storm utilizes the pinch gesture, but everything else I have seen or read about this phone has not mentioned this gesture at all. I find that odd since it's one of the big gestures touted on the iphone.
    10-09-08 05:21 PM

^^ RIM certainly better get their skates on sorting all that out, because the Storm I played on the other day lacked most of it. Though capacitive, the screen isn't anywhere near as responsive or 'organic' in feel as the iPhone. I'm still getting one though
    10-10-08 04:18 AM
    if I'm not mistaken, I believe apple� owns the patent for multitouch�

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-10-08 04:31 AM
    if I'm not mistaken, I believe apple� owns the patent for multitouch�

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    I think your mistaken just based on the fact when you consider the fact that Microsoft has their own multitouch device called the Surface. Perhaps Apple has a patent on the way the technology behind their iteration of multitouch but it's definitely not something of which only they are capable.
    10-10-08 08:16 AM
    ROFL that's perfect!!!!
    10-10-08 08:41 AM
    HAHA no kidding. But then they will REALLY have to ban texting while driving...you might have a wrong message go out when someone cuts you off. lol
    10-10-08 11:46 AM
    I think your mistaken just based on the fact when you consider the fact that Microsoft has their own multitouch device called the Surface. Perhaps Apple has a patent on the way the technology behind their iteration of multitouch but it's definitely not something of which only they are capable.
    I don't know if Apple owns capacitive multitouch patent, but Microsoft's Surface uses infrared technology and not capacitive technology like the iPhone. See page three of the PhoneArena.com article (page 3 talks about MS Surface).

--Sorry, I can't create hyperlinks until I get more posts...just copy, paste, edit the DOT's, then hit enter--

wwwDOTphonearenaDOTcom/htmls/Touchscreen-technologies-in-phones-article-a_3067.html
    (replace the 2 DOT's with a period)

Also, someone has made it so that the Surface can detect how much pressure is being applied with each touch using a Wii balance board...check out this short article from Engadget.com

wwwDOTengadgetDOTcom/2008/10/03/microsoft-surface-made-pressure-sensitive-with-wii-balance-board/
    (replace the 2 DOT's with periods)

Now they just need to add the "click" from the Storm, and it'll be totally awesome!!!!!!
    10-10-08 12:03 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD