Does anyone know if there is a way you can convert MP3's to a certain setting like the bitrate to make them sound better? My MP3's distort when turned up all the way yet the sample songs that came preloaded sound crystal clear and loud when turned all the way up..

Thanks in advance
    03-15-09 08:58 PM
    If you take a poor sounding MP3 and try to increase the bit rate, it's not gonna sound better. Goes with the old adage of "you can't polish a turd".

What bitrate are they now? I wouldn't use less than 192 if I were you. (I personally wouldn't even listen to something lower than a 320 though)
    03-15-09 09:00 PM
    Most of my mp3s are 128kbps and sound good in my car. I can't turn up the storm all the way but I turn up the car stereo to my liking. I'm using a cassette car kit to play it through my speakers. Just make sure they aren't variable bitrate.
    Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by Raditude; 03-16-09 at 01:45 AM.
    03-16-09 01:42 AM
    First, This all depends on what you think sounds good. And what type of music you listen to.

I have never had a sound issue with my storm and most of my mp3 are 128kbps.
    THe larger the kpbs the more space the file will take up and will take more battery power to play.

Also, what are you listening to the music through? The stock headphones? Car? If so how it is connected to your car stereo will make a difference.

I have also heard that AAC files are superior to MP3's. the storm supports mp3's and AAC.
    I recommend trying AAC file type at 128 kbps.
    Remember the only way to get the quality is to import from a CD which is 1140kbps native to a format like aac or mp3 into the bitrate you want. If you try to turn a 128 kbps mp3 into a 789 kbps AAC you will not gain any quality and just waste power playing it.

So in review.
    1. Rap might sound good at low bitrates while jazz or classical may need a higher bitrate due to a higher degree of musical complexity.
    BUT higher bitrates put more stress on the player.
    2. What kind of connections are you using? Some are better than others
    3. what speakers/ headphones or system are you listening to the music through? this can make a huge difference.
    4. Remember you are obviously not an audiophile. and very few people actually have the hearing ability to be one. So whatever sounds good to you is what you should base your final decision on.
    Last edited by slav22; 03-16-09 at 02:34 AM.
    03-16-09 02:27 AM
    If you take a poor sounding MP3 and try to increase the bit rate, it's not gonna sound better. Goes with the old adage of "you can't polish a turd".

What bitrate are they now? I wouldn't use less than 192 if I were you. (I personally wouldn't even listen to something lower than a 320 though)

I laughed soo hard at this one.....I'm gonna have to find a way to use it in conversation. "can't polish a turd". Too funny!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-16-09 03:05 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD