I would like to post my observations on mp3 files and the Blackberry Storm. I'm sure, however, that they also apply to other Blackberrys as well.
    From what I see, the file name of the song means absolutely nothing. Blackberrys react to the ID tag. Therefore, if the ID tags are not written properly, it might be difficult or impossible to access a particular song.

I have over 1400 songs on a 16 gb memory card. I made each mp3 file myself, writing all of the ID tags myself. No downloads.
    My observations are the following:

1) I added one song without any ID tags. I just wanted to hear how it sounded. It was impossible to access this song on the Storm. Once I added ID tags I had no trouble accessing the song, either by title or by album name.

2) I recently constructed an album of nine songs. I wrote the ID tags but neglected to assign each song track numbers, even though the file names were preceded by 01, 02, etc. The Storm listed each song alphabetically. Once I gave track numbers through the ID tags the songs were played in proper order.

3) To test my theory, I constructed an album of 4 songs, all with properly written ID tags, including track numbers. However, I changed the file names to gibberish titles (aaaaaaaaaa.mp3, bbbbbbbbbbb.mp3, ccccccccccc.mp3, dddddddddddd.mp3). The Storm played the songs properly, in correct sequence and showed the true titles of the songs, as written in the ID tags.

I believe this shows that if someone does not know how to write ID tags, he or she will have a very difficult time with the Blackberrys.

Any comments, suggestions or observations on my posting? Thank you very much.

Alan Silberlight
    06-17-09 06:14 AM
    I'd agree with that, I don't know how to change th ID tags, I think I've just been lucky only a couple of my songs have had issues where my storm doesn't know who the song is by but at least displays the file name as the song name.
    06-17-09 12:10 PM
    I believe this isn't only with BBs but with most mp3 players. I have a creative zen (2008 model) and this is also how songs are structured, through ID tags.

I don't have any issues with this setup since my OCD forces me to have all parts of the ID tags filled out correctly. For me the easiest way to organize my songs are through albums. I only search for songs via albums.
    06-17-09 02:24 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD