guys, I know there is supposed to be a gap around the screen so it can move easier. I just got my storm. im not gonna be too anal about it but there seems to be a slight bit more of a gap at the top of the screen than bottom, so when using the device is can see like the backlight shine thru that gap area a bit. has anyone experienced this. maybe its normal.

its like you can see the the screen sitting on those tiny anchors they rest on when looking at the screen head on. in other words the screen probably sits a tiny bit lower so the bottom gap is slightly less than the gap on the top so the backlight shines thru a bit near the top.

the thing clicks perfect though.

is this normal?
    12-18-08 07:00 PM
    I can see light through my gaps too, but the gap all the way around is small enough that I cant slip a credit card through. The screen does move a tiny bit too, so you may find after you handle it a bit that the screen shifts toward the other end. I think the important thing is that your screen clicks well...I wouldn't worry about the gap.
    12-18-08 07:10 PM
    this is the image while playing the video it came with. see the light at top. yet its not big enough to get a credit card in there. its thin but its more than the other edges. this isnt a defect right?

Last edited by rockstar76; 12-18-08 at 07:14 PM.
    12-18-08 07:11 PM
    My first storm and replacement have the same gap spacing as yours so I guess it's normal.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-18-08 07:12 PM
    Im getting mine replaced tomorrow for the same thing but my screen moved in all 4 directions and touches the sides.
    12-18-08 07:22 PM
    is this something that warrants a return? I just wanted to know how many people experience this and if it is nornal ( not a defect). chances are that a replacement but not be a "fresh" unit. id hate to return it. id feel a lot better if knew this was common/normal.
    12-18-08 07:34 PM
    The rep didnt say it was common or not but said it shouldnt move around that much. Im getting a brand new "fresh" unit with all the stuff in the box. I asked about the 30 day replacement and she said it will be brand new in the box.
    12-18-08 07:40 PM
    That appears to be a larger gap than I have, but it doesn't look abnormal. If the light bothers you then you might try turning down the backlighting. I found that I not only found it more pleasant, but it also increases your battery time. Personally, I wouldn't even think of returning the phone because of a slightly larger gap. You risk the chance of getting a phone with a real problem. If the phone is working correctly and everything I'd keep it!

Last edited by ChuckH0308; 12-18-08 at 07:53 PM. Reason: additional comment
    12-18-08 07:51 PM
    I had a huge gap problem. You could physically see that the chrome part on the end button side had a larger gap. not only where the screen touches it, but where it meets the mute button. My screen moved around a lot more than normal. Anyways got my replacement monday and the screen just moves the right amount. Also, I never thought that my old unit had speed issues but compared to my new unit it was a turtle. I am so happy i got my replacement.

I would do the shake test and compare it to other units. My old one, when shaken, would rattle around. My new one moves but no clanking around. IF it too lose get a new one.
    12-18-08 08:04 PM
    Thats the same with mine the gap at the top and bottom I can see the chrome behind it. Mine rattles like crazy when i shake and even picking it up it does it.
    12-18-08 08:08 PM
    the screen has a little play in it but no shake problem. also, all 4 corners of screen click good with no paper under batter needed. it is also running fast as ****. i hate to return it but not sure if I should maybe have the verizon store just take a peek. oh by the way, that picture i posted is with backlight all the way down!
    12-18-08 08:46 PM
    I took it to the Verizon Store, the said it was way off center so they gave me a brand new one in the box ( not refurbed ) This new one is perfect!
    12-19-08 11:36 AM
    Im getting confused.....The shifting of the screen is normal and having a little bit of a gap all around is also normal?

So Im not sure what the issue is? Im just asking as I can move mine in all directions and have little gaps here and there as well so Im lost.
    12-19-08 11:48 AM
    yesh, that is normal. the problem with mine was a huge gap at the top and nowhere else. it was very tight at the bottom but the top had alll the space. it wouldnt not move around correctly. Jey, for the guys at the store to say right away it is a defect must mean it is. they didnt argue in the elast bit. the guy said " yeah, this phone is defective"
    12-19-08 12:28 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD