Good to know. I retract what I said earlier.
    04-12-09 03:21 AM
    hey all, this is not a phone or verizon issue... its universal.... be sure to read this article. SMS should really be free while its still limited to 160 char.

google " What Carriers Aren�t Eager to Tell You About Texting" and read the article from the NY Times...
    04-12-09 08:00 AM
    04-12-09 08:12 AM
    Is there any card that allows you to connect to Verizon and any other carrier in the US at the same time?
    04-12-09 10:27 AM
    Is there any card that allows you to connect to Verizon and any other carrier in the US at the same time?
    I really don't think this would be possible since carriers want to lock you on their service.
    04-12-09 10:33 AM
    Yea that's what I was thinking. Thanks
    04-12-09 10:37 AM
    I have noticed.. I can recieve SMS messages larger than 160 on my Storm.. in seperate messages like i used to be able to send on my Voyager.
    04-12-09 02:33 PM
    Yes the voyager has better SMS than the Storm. That just sounds ridiculous, and it is. But sadly, it is true
    04-12-09 03:11 PM
    I have no idea if you can. If its not apart of verizon than you probably wont be able to. It does sound as though thats a provider option.
    I have been trying to find the same thing...
    I KNOW for a fact VZW does that on other phones (my wife has a Voyager that does it, and her previous Env2 also did it on VZW)... I thought the BB was completely unable, but if its doing it on another provider, it sounds like VZW has something turned off on us (again)...
    04-12-09 03:57 PM
    yes and no. i use both on my storm. but i have to switch back and forth whenever i need to use at&t. so if you are ok with switching to use different services its totally possible.
    04-12-09 05:34 PM
    yeah this whole situation is complete horsehit. there is absolutely no reason why the software cant automatically split the messages up into 160/each and then send them. am i right? its just verizon screwing us over like always.

Here is my idea: take one of the .cod's from a 9500 GSM firmware file or something cause i think those split them up and then implement it into a 9530 firmware file.

maybe?
    04-12-09 06:38 PM
    yeah this whole situation is complete horsehit. there is absolutely no reason why the software cant automatically split the messages up into 160/each and then send them. am i right? its just verizon screwing us over like always.

Here is my idea: take one of the .cod's from a 9500 GSM firmware file or something cause i think those split them up and then implement it into a 9530 firmware file.

maybe?
    dont think this will work. its been established that its a carrier thing and not a phone thing. when the 9530 storm is in gsm mode the sms gets split into 6. its something we should all get together and yell at verizon for.
    04-12-09 11:01 PM
    so can you keep your number when you switch between Verizon and AT&T? and do you have to sign up for an account with AT&T also?
    04-12-09 11:07 PM
    I honestly don't believe it is a carrier thing. There is no reason why the operating system can't be modified to allow this.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-12-09 11:07 PM
    so can you keep your number when you switch between Verizon and AT&T? and do you have to sign up for an account with AT&T also?
    you will have two numbers. one for at&t and one for verizon. and yes, you need to pay in order to use their services.

I honestly don't believe it is a carrier thing. There is no reason why the operating system can't be modified to allow this.

then why does my storm allow me to use more than 160 char sms when im on at&t but go to the normal 160 sms when on verizon? there is a pic on page 2 of this thread that shows my storm in sms menu on at&t with the ability to use more than 160 char.
    04-13-09 12:53 AM
    Someone needs to find the code that limits it on CDMA and change it.
    04-13-09 07:10 AM
    I posted 3 links to threads that contain answers to questions asked AFTER my post.

If you read them you may find the answers you seek.
    04-13-09 11:07 AM
    MP Methods LMS
    its a link to the app lms. its pretty good.
    if im replying to a text and hit the 160 character cap. i copy it and the paste it in this app. finish my text and send it.
    04-13-09 11:29 AM
    are the networks accepting of switching cards. Like if I were to buy a Bold and unlock it in order to get Verizon service on it would Verizon help me or would I have to go to some special cell phone store that would do that for me
    04-13-09 12:14 PM
    It's not a Verizon thing... since other Dumb Phones on Verizon will do this already (ala eNV and eNV2 and many others). BB phones simply do not split greater than 160 characters into multiple SMS messages.
    I don't have the screen caps to show, but a few months ago somebody did show captures of the SMS screen using VZW and AT&T. The AT&T screen said 160/6. Looked legit to me. I'd have to find the post to prove it though.

04-13-09 12:49 PM
    It may not be a Carrier thing.. BUT as has been posted already... it IS a CDMA thing.

The Pearl, Curve and 8830 from Sprint and Verizon do NOT split longer than 160 character messages.

The Storm on VZW's network, in CDMA mode does NOT split them.

However, the Storm in GSM mode DOES give you 1/6. ANd when using my storm with T-Mobile, it gives me the 1/6 at the top, and auto splits for me.

My T-Mobile and AT&T BB's do auto split them... and gives me 1/6...

So its definately a BB on CDMA thing. Maybe something in the SMS/MMS service books pushed down by the CDMA carriers??
    04-13-09 03:01 PM
    If everyone posting after page 2 would have read the thread, your questions would have been answered.

The BlackBerry on CDMA service cannot by default split text messages up, but the Storm on GSM networks will split them up.

Thats the end of that
    04-13-09 04:33 PM
    If everyone posting after page 2 would have read the thread, your questions would have been answered.

The BlackBerry on CDMA service cannot by default split text messages up, but the Storm on GSM networks will split them up.

Thats the end of that
    im sorry but it literally just does not make sense to me AT ALL......

i dont see what is stopping the phone from sending messages one after another in a row........ thats all i want it to do!!! is that too much to ask for?!?!?!
    04-18-09 12:29 AM
48 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD