I am traveling to London and have an unlocked Storm with Verizon global data plan. Verizon told me text messages will be $0.50 to send which seems really expensive. Does any one know if I use MMS will that avoid the charge by using my Data plan and not text plan?
    07-28-09 02:57 PM
    i think data involved in sending them would be alot more then the 50 for a regular sms....i always get a prepaid sim when im over there and just send sms messages it works out to about 10 pence per message...and i think thats around 17-20 cents
    07-28-09 03:07 PM
    My company is paying the $20/ month for Global unlimited Data plan, so I was thinking that way MMS would be free.
    07-28-09 03:15 PM
    I would check with Verizon. I would assume that MMS would be a separate charge like SMS though since that's the way it's billed normally. And yes it is expensive.

Here's a tip though. Create a gmail account (or use one that you have, but one that pushes e-mail instantly works best) and text everyone through that. Note: This ONLY works if they are also on VERIZON!!!

When sending someone a text, send it as an e-mail to their phone number @ vtext.com (example: [email protected]) They will receive it normally as an SMS message on their phone.

Now, since it still costs 5 cents to receive a text, make sure they send the reply to your E-MAIL address. On Verizon, you can text an e-mail address. This is why you want to be using an address that will push e-mails through instantly like gmail. (I know some don't. One of mine pushes e-mails through once every 10 minutes.) This way, you can still technically text people but avoid verizon's outrageous charges.

I think that if you want to send a picture or something, the above method won't work quite as well. I haven't tried it because I've only needed to text while abroad, not send photo's, but I'd bet that the person receiving it would just receive instructions on how to get to the picture when using a computer.

Hope that helps!
    07-28-09 03:35 PM
    i second the email suggestion, since you have unlimited global data, just abuse the **** out of it. disable sms/mms while you're gone, and BBM and EMAIL!!!

wave of the future...
    07-28-09 03:51 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD