So I have a few random Storm questions I've had a bit of a hard time finding answers to despite searches (also lost manual after moving)...

What are 'Hover Period' and 'Key Rate' under screen/keyboard options? I've heard some mixed things...

Does a Desktop Manager Backup backup your custom dictionary, Autotext, and Options?

I've heard that one should set the 'Network Technology' under 'Mobile Network' in Options to IEV instead of Global to save battery life. Is there any downside to this? What does this do?

What are 'Content Compression' and 'Content Protection' under Security-General Settings? I've also heard they should be turned off to promote battery life, is this true? Again, any downside?

Under Security->General Setting There is a list of 'services.' It only lists "Desktop[oudated email] (3DES)." Because this email is outdated and I no longer use it, how can I delete this?

I want to wipe my handheld and reinstall everything because of a serious memory leak issue. I hear a lot of people saying to use external programs, but why can one not simply go to Security->General->Settings->Menu->Wipe Handheld?

I'm sorry this is a long of questions, and I appreciate everyone's time and help in answering them. Thanks!
    06-24-09 11:47 AM
    1) dunno how to explain
    2) yes -
    3) global means if ur network cannot find signal, it will try to find a gsm tower, in which vzw does not, so keeping it 1XEV, it will just try to find cdma, not gsm
    4) dunno how to explain
    5) dunno
    6) u can do the following
    security > general settings > bbmenu > wipe handheld > sync contacts > manually dl 3rd party apps (do not use backups to backup the 3rd party apps, sometimes backups can corrupt files and such)
    06-24-09 11:52 AM
    I'll try to help with the basic stuff...

So I have a few random Storm questions I've had a bit of a hard time finding answers to despite searches (also lost manual after moving)...
    Go to Verizonwireless.com, sign into your account and you can find your manual there.

What are 'Hover Period' and 'Key Rate' under screen/keyboard options? I've heard some mixed things...
    Hover interval is the amount of time that is required before a hover event is triggered. A hover event is like holding your finger on a key of the keyboard in landscape mode to bring up alternate symbols under that letter. So a shorter hover period means that pops up faster, whereas a longer one means it takes more time before it pops up. (thanks to rab05 here: http://forums.crackberry.com/f86/wha...terval-141684/)

Key Rate is how fast a key will repeat being pushed. i.e. push and hold the s key, and it will type m, pause a second, and then keep entering more m's. The faster the rate, the faster it will type more m's for you.

Does a Desktop Manager Backup backup your custom dictionary, Autotext, and Options?
    Yes, if you do a BACKUP, but not just a sync. Backup saves a copy of all of this plus much more in a file on your computer in case you lose your phone or want to transfer everything to a new phone.

I want to wipe my handheld and reinstall everything because of a serious memory leak issue. I hear a lot of people saying to use external programs, but why can one not simply go to Security->General->Settings->Menu->Wipe Handheld?
    I think this is right....
    You generally won't get your programs off of the phone that way. It keeps a record of them, and just deletes cache, cookies, contacts, calendar entries, music, etc. Programs will remain.
    06-24-09 11:58 AM

I've heard that one should set the 'Network Technology' under 'Mobile Network' in Options to IEV instead of Global to save battery life. Is there any downside to this? What does this do?

What are 'Content Compression' and 'Content Protection' under Security-General Settings? I've also heard they should be turned off to promote battery life, is this true? Again, any downside?

Under Security->General Setting There is a list of 'services.' It only lists "Desktop[oudated email] (3DES)." Because this email is outdated and I no longer use it, how can I delete this?

I'm sorry this is a long of questions, and I appreciate everyone's time and help in answering them. Thanks!
    1. These settings refer to how your screen detects hovering and keystrokes. The higher the number, the more sensitive it will be.

2. YES

3. This will conserve battery life if you are constantly going in and out of data service. Setting to 1XEV will set your device to look for an EV connection, and continue to search until one is found.

4. Content Compression compresses the data to limit the space it will take up. Content protection encrypts the files for security. I can understand the throry behind the battery life suggestion, as it will use more power to access the files.

5. There is no reason to delete that, I would suggest leaving it alone.

6. The "Wipe Handheld" function on the device will restore it to factory settings. You will lose all data, and any 3rd party apps installed. External programs are available which will wipe the OS off the device as well. I would not suggest wiping the handheld until all other options have been exhausted in troubleshooting the issues you are having.

Hope that helped.
    06-24-09 12:00 PM
    Wow, thank you for the very quick help. Most of my questions have been answered; the only thing I am still confused on is 'key rate' because no matter how long I hold a key, it does not type more...I think the only noticeable thing is the backspace; should this be the case?

Also, it was mentioned after wiping I would need to resync contacts; do backups not include contacts? How can I back contacts up? I do not keep a record of contacts on my computer...
    Last edited by Strakerc; 06-24-09 at 12:11 PM.
    06-24-09 12:09 PM
    Wow, thank you for the very quick help. Most of my questions have been answered; the only thing I am still confused on is 'key rate' because no matter how long I hold a key, it does not type more...I think the only noticeable thing is the backspace; should this be the case?

Also, it was mentioned after wiping I would need to resync contacts; do backups not include contacts? How can I back contacts up? I do not keep a record of contacts on my computer...
    backups DO backup contacts

my way was just a way to reduce memory leaks

if u cant sync (if u dont have outlook or address book set up in gmail) i suggest not to do what i suggested and just use a backup to backup ur contacts
    06-24-09 12:15 PM
    I have outlook, suppose I could create my first sync as the whole point of me wiping is to get rid of these memory leaks...

Sorry for another rookie question, but how do you sync with outlook then? It seems DM isn't offering an option for 'contacts'...
    06-24-09 12:23 PM
    I have outlook, suppose I could create my first sync as the whole point of me wiping is to get rid of these memory leaks...

Sorry for another rookie question, but how do you sync with outlook then? It seems DM isn't offering an option for 'contacts'...
    not sure if this will help (since i dont use outlook) but...
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f134/ho...utlook-165416/
    06-24-09 12:45 PM
    Thanks so much, all of that was great help!
    06-24-09 01:43 PM
    I can't remember if this was part of the discussion, but here's notes that show you can delete 3rd party apps along with the "wipe" function.

From the main screen, press Blackberry Key
    In the device options, tap and press on Options.
    Tap and press screen for Security Options
    Tap and press screen for General Settings.
    Press the Blackberry key.
    Tap and press screen for Wipe Handheld.
    Select Include third party applications if you wish to reset to default.
    Tap and press screen to select Continue on screen.
    Type the word blackberry to continue and press enter on screen
    Device will power cycle - restart may take 1 - 5 minutes to complete.
    06-24-09 03:33 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD