New to BB with the storm, and like quite a few of you out there, I am not entirely impressed. I purchased my BB running .75 and ran it for a few weeks without any 3rd party apps. I had random restarts at least twice a day amongst other common problems. Immediately upon finding crackberry.com I upgraded my OS to .109, and noticed positive changes, but continued to add apps to my phone as well. I am now running .133 with the following apps.
    AOL im
    AP Mobile News
    Blackberry 4.7 Core Apps
    Blackberry 4.7 System Software
    Blackberry App World
    Blackberry Application Center
    Blackberry Attachment Service
    Blackberry Messenger
    Brick Breaker
    Browser
    com_plazmic_theme_Simple...
    Email Setup Application
    Facebook
    Flight Path
    Google Maps
    Light Saber
    LightsOut
    My Space
    Nav4All
    Phone
    Quickpull
    Slacker Mobile for Blackberry
    Solytare
    Talk Lock
    Viigo
    Where_9500
    Word Mole

After using any app I close it. 34.6 MB is the most Application memory I have ever noted having, and that is right after a pull. I am sure there are things I can get rid of, but it doesnt seem like I should be pushing the Storm past its capabilities. I still get a restart once a day, and the phone is just so f-ing slow. Other than getting flamed about what a newbie I am... could I get some advice? Do I have some sort of a hardware issue, or am I just having terrible luck?

-considering selling on ebay my brand shiny new Verizon Paperweight [TM]
    04-11-09 04:00 PM
    What's funny is I usually do a battery pull once a day but recently went three day without one. My memory was at 4.3 or somethunh and my phone was running just fine. I think this wholt "memoret leak makes my phone slow" business is all in our heads.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-11-09 04:12 PM
    Every program, theme, email, go to the app memory. Maybe one day if they can, they will give us more to play with. Until that time, I suggest being move conservative on what you put on your phone. This is a problem we all deal with. Most of time you see people saying, they have let's say 50 megs of app memory they usually strip something away. Either only putting apps on the cell they really use. Or use one of the slimmed down leaked os. The smaller the Os is the more app memory they will have.
    04-11-09 04:13 PM
    For one thing, you're running .122, not .133

Secondly, 34.5mb is just fine.

Before I upped to a hybrid, I would be settling at around 18mb. Now I'm between 35-45 during a day.

Stop your ******** and enjoy your phone
    04-11-09 04:25 PM
    pardon me... I am running .113
    04-11-09 04:34 PM
    New to BB with the storm, and like quite a few of you out there, I am not entirely impressed. I purchased my BB running .75 and ran it for a few weeks without any 3rd party apps. I had random restarts at least twice a day amongst other common problems. Immediately upon finding crackberry.com I upgraded my OS to .109, and noticed positive changes, but continued to add apps to my phone as well. I am now running .133 with the following apps.
    AOL im
    AP Mobile News
    Blackberry 4.7 Core Apps
    Blackberry App World
    Blackberry Messenger
    Brick Breaker
    Browser
    Email Setup Application
    Facebook
    Flight Path
    Google Maps
    Light Saber
    LightsOut
    My Space
    Nav4All
    Phone
    Quickpull
    Solytare
    Talk Lock
    Viigo
    Where_9500
    Word Mole

After using any app I close it. 34.6 MB is the most Application memory I have ever noted having, and that is right after a pull. I am sure there are things I can get rid of, but it doesnt seem like I should be pushing the Storm past its capabilities. I still get a restart once a day, and the phone is just so f-ing slow. Other than getting flamed about what a newbie I am... could I get some advice? Do I have some sort of a hardware issue, or am I just having terrible luck?

To be honest with you I have never had a random reboot since leaving .75, your app memory is what I used to be at before using Shrink My OS and I never had a problem. Here is what I would do and yes it is time consuming I would delete all your 3rd party apps and reload one at a time till you find what is causing this problem. To give you an example for me the following programs where horrible on my storm

Google maps
    Slacker
    weather bug
    Talk lock

All the above caused slowness or memory leaks for me. Keep in mind that everyones phone acts differently with programs. Also it could be two 3rd party apps conflicting with each other. Honestly your phone shouldn't be slow on .113 since that is what I was running until yesterday.

Hope this helps
    04-11-09 04:49 PM
    You have more memory to spare than most and about 5x what you need to run smoothly.

04-11-09 04:49 PM
    I've found that Themes really affect my memory... and seemed to cause my phone to freeze up at times. I've delete all but the orginal Zen, and have noticed that the phone is running much smoother.

But not sure that it was all due to memory leaks, even with 32MB of memory I'd have problems.

I'm running 122 w/ 109 Radio Codes. Have just the basic application that came with the phone plus Gmail, Google Maps, Doc to Go and Quick-Pull. Last Quick-Pull was at 6AM and I'm at 48MB right now and no problems.
    04-11-09 05:18 PM
    AOL im
    AP Mobile News
    Blackberry 4.7 Core Apps
    Blackberry App World
    Blackberry Messenger
    Brick Breaker
    Browser
    Email Setup Application
    Facebook
    Flight Path
    Google Maps
    Light Saber
    LightsOut
    My Space
    Nav4All
    Phone
    Quickpull
    Solytare
    Talk Lock
    Viigo
    Where_9500
    Word Mole

3rd party themes are notorious for memory leaks which lead to sluggish performance and reboots. Also, try loading Shrink-A-OS. It is located on these forums and it helps get rid of unnecessary programs on your storm, such as the help program, event log, extra languages, etc... Getting rid of all those extra unneeded things will help speed up your storm.
    04-11-09 06:03 PM
    im n da same situation i guess. i deleted sum themes and things i dont need. i had about 34mb of memory but as da days and hours pass it gets lower. yesterday wuz at da 33mb and now 2day im at 23mb. jus wonderin if sumone could tell me also what 2do to keep it steady in the 30's atleast or more. meanwhile ima try some of the options already mentioned
    04-11-09 08:06 PM
    is shrinking the OS with another 3rd party program actually efficient? I have already deleted native programs such as "help" with the desktop manager...
    04-11-09 08:20 PM
    is shrinking the OS with another 3rd party program actually efficient? I have already deleted native programs such as "help" with the desktop manager...
    Shrink-a-os isn't actually loaded on the phone. The .exe file is copied into the java folder on your computer(instructions provided on the installation thread). When you open the program, it brings up a GUI that allows you to choose what common applications/languages that you want removed. Once you finish checking off the things you want removed, you click a button to execute the program. The program essentially moves the.cod files associated with the programs you want removed into a new folder called "removed files" in case you want to move it back. When you update your OS, ut will remove the .cod files off you storm, thus clearing up memory...
    04-11-09 09:40 PM
    Are you referring to working memory (i.e. RAM) or storage space? How do you see stats of working memory?
    04-11-09 09:53 PM
    Are you referring to working memory (i.e. RAM) or storage space? How do you see stats of working memory?
    The memory can be checked by going to Options > Memory

04-11-09 10:00 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD