Hey CBer's. I've been searching for some info for a while, and have been somewhat successful. These forums are great for browsing and getting answers you need, but I've got a few questions maybe some of you that are smarter than I can answer.

Running .75 (for now), and I'm still trying to free as much memory as possible. After a battery pull, I've got 31-32mb free. I've got 8 programs running after bp;

1. Messages
    2. Phone
    3. Home Screen
    4. Browser
    5. BB Messenger
    6. App Center
    7. Smrtguard
    8. BuzzMe

I do use a number of 3rd person apps that I've downloaded (#7 & #8 above for example), and I could probably remove a few games I don't play. I've eliminated most of the stuff I don't want (Help files, unused themes, etc), and now I've just got a few questions:

A. I don't use any IM programs. Can I delete BB Messenger without affecting any other programs?
    B. How can I delete Voice Dialing? Will any other programs be affected if I delete it?
    C. Why does the Browser always run? Does it need to?
    D. What about all the crap in the App Center? Flicker, Facebook, all the IM programs. I don't need/want any of this stuff. Anything I can do there?

Any other ideas?

Thanks in advance for the help!
    03-29-09 09:39 AM
    A. I would assume that deleting BB Messenger wouldn't affect anything but I am new to the BB community so don't quote me on that.
    B. Go to stormota.com on your phones browser. Then go to Utilities under the
    choices. There is a program called BBFilesScout that will help you delete voice dialing along with other useless (or useful is you actually use them) programs on your phone.
    C. The browser is one of the set apps that always run in the background. Along with Home Screen, BB Messenger, Messages, and Phone.
    D. And as far as the stuff in the App Center, as long as you haven't installed them on your phone, they shouldn't be on it. If your wondering which are go to your Applications list or the App Center should tell you which are installed
    and which are not.
    03-29-09 09:51 AM
    A related question--I think I've already seen the answer to this somewhere in here but I can't find it. If I were to delete unused samples and apps and I decide I want them back, would they all magically reappear with the next OS install? Assuming the leak hasn't already been edited for size, of course.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-29-09 09:56 AM
    I know as far as the apps go you can re-install them on your phone using DM, now the samples I don't know.
    03-29-09 09:59 AM
    D. And as far as the stuff in the App Center, as long as you haven't installed them on your phone, they shouldn't be on it. If your wondering which are go to your Applications list or the App Center should tell you which are installed
    and which are not.
    So VZNavigator, AIM, all the other bloatware I've buried deep in my menus...as long as I don't open any of them up, they take up NO memory on my handset?

03-29-09 10:00 AM
    You can open them up from the App Center but as long as you don't install them on your phone, they are not taking up App Memory on your phone. You might want to check your Applications list and make sure they are not installed on your phone. I have the MySpace app installed on mine but it says it's not installed when I go into the App Center.
    03-29-09 10:06 AM
    Just don't worry about it. Seriously. People get themselves so worked up over this, and it's just a number. Half the people out there don't even know what this number's significance is.

If and when your phone starts to suffer from some kind of performance degradation, you can do a battery pull or some kind of soft reset. Until then, stop obsessing over a number and enjoy using your phone. And don't listen to people who claim if it gets too low it will delete your messages and call logs. Older BBs might have done this, but the Storm will not.
    03-29-09 10:07 AM
    My suggestion would be to delete smrtguard. I had it for a couple of days and it was a huge memory hog. I would also suggest upgrading to a beta. I have.109. It has been about 30 hours since my last battery pull and I have 42.5 mb free. I have been using the phone during that time for browsing, messaging, phone calls etc, with bedside mode overnight.

03-29-09 10:09 AM
    My suggestion would be to delete smrtguard. I had it for a couple of days and it was a huge memory hog.
    If you don't mind me asking what exactly is smrtguard??
    03-29-09 10:11 AM
    Just don't worry about it. Seriously. People get themselves so worked up over this, and it's just a number. Half the people out there don't even know what this number's significance is.
    I'm not overly worried, just though if I could remove some unneeded programs, it might help my Storm run better.

My suggestion would be to delete smrtguard. I had it for a couple of days and it was a huge memory hog. I would also suggest upgrading to a beta. I have.109. It has been about 30 hours since my last battery pull and I have 42.5 mb free. I have been using the phone during that time for browsing, messaging, phone calls etc, with bedside mode overnight.

I think I will start reading on how to do the OS upgrade! Been wanting to do that, and I know it can only hlep (if done correctly!).
    03-29-09 10:12 AM
    Smrtguard is a program to track your Storm. Could be helpful if it's stolen/lost.
    03-29-09 10:13 AM
    One thing to also try is to downsize the number of icons you have going on your home screen. There was a post about this don't know exactly what it was called but one of the suggestions was to go with as few icons as you possibly can. The OP of the post suggested going with 8 and moving the rest into a hidden folder. I currently use 12 and it's not as sluggish when I had about 20 on there.
    03-29-09 10:18 AM
    Smrtguard is a program to track your Storm. Could be helpful if it's stolen/lost.
    Thanks. I was wondering cause I have explored my phone pretty thoroughly and had never seen that on there.
    03-29-09 10:19 AM
    One thing to also try is to downsize the number of icons you have going on your home screen. There was a post about this don't know exactly what it was called but one of the suggestions was to go with as few icons as you possibly can. The OP of the post suggested going with 8 and moving the rest into a hidden folder. I currently use 12 and it's not as sluggish when I had about 20 on there.
    I did that, and noticed an improvement. Downloaded BBFilescout. Now I just need to figure out how to lose the Voice Dialing with it!
    03-29-09 10:20 AM
    It's kind of tricky navigating the menu for it. If I remember correctly is opposite of the way you are wanting to go. When you try to scroll up you are actually scrolling down and vice versa. Also it says to make sure you have recently backed up you phone. I would suggest doing this incase of s*** happening cause something could happen. It is the very bottom choice I think.
    03-29-09 10:25 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD