Everyone and their mom knows the Storm 9530 has a memory problem. But how many of us with memory leak complaints were early adopters of the 9530 (bought device within first few months of release)?

I know the 9530 has to have gone through at least one hardware revision. My dad and I got our original devices back in April 2009, and because of a glitch in the software (random App Error 527), he got a replacement 9530. His new Storm has less screen wobble, the screen colors "pop" more (increased color contrast?) compared to my Storm, and his screen is much brighter (both devices set to 100% backlight brightness, autodim turned off). His SurePress also clicks in a very easy and uniform manner, something my screen + the folded paper trick hasn't even done for me yet.

He doesn't install any extra apps on his device like I do, so he doesn't experience any memory leak at all. I think my leaks may be coming from BerryWeather 2.0, MeterBerry, or Epocrates Rx, all 3 of which their developers state the application is written in a way so that it doesn't "hold on" to unneeded app memory, which causes a memory leak. This leads me to believe my memory leak is hardware related.

I always hear the CrackBerry vets on the forum saying "every Storm (and any other BB) is a little different". This couldn't be more true: on both of my dad's Storms (current and old), he never had the glitchy scrolling in the Contacts application in 5.0 like many of us do.

So I'm wondering if my memory leaks (and other people's) could be linked to a hardware flaw that was corrected in later iterations of the 9530. Anybody have any info to support or dismiss this? I'm tempted to make the switch to a new 9530, but I don't want to waste time downgrading to 5.0.0.328, uninstalling my apps, backing up my device, etc. for nothing.
    01-11-10 02:31 PM
    I'd say it might be possible, but also might just be related to what is loaded on each individual phone. I got mine in March 09, never have loaded Berryweather, Meterberry, etc, on 5.0.0.328 and never had to put paper to get the screen to click and all the other issues everyone else seems to have. Only memory leak I ever had was with a bad theme, and when it was deleted never had the issue again.
    01-11-10 02:43 PM
    I wonder if apps ever adversely interact with one another, causing a memory leak. There are people who use BerryWeather, Meterberry, etc. that claim to never have memory leaks with them. If I do get a replacement Storm (and I'm leaning towards that because of the screen click issues), I'll see if installing my current apps on the new device will still produce a leak.
    01-11-10 06:24 PM
    And I think I found my answer...

http://forums.crackberry.com/f86/new...vision-107686/

This was a month after the Storm launch, mind you. But I got the "old" hardware, despite my purchase having been in April. I hope that when I do my exchange that all of the old models are gone and I'll get a revised model.
    01-11-10 06:37 PM
    I had BerryWeather, MeterBerry and e-Mobile Pro installed on my phone long enough for me to see a 13 + mb drop in 10 hrs. or so with only the normal activity one would do. I tried uninstalling, reinstalling apps and so forth with no luck. Who would have guessed that MeterBerry was my problem atleast to the best of my knowledge. I uninstalled it and I am now losing 5-7 mb per day and get a increase in mb when using the phone with a lot of activity. I guess it just didn't get along with the others?
    01-11-10 07:59 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD