I've been watching my file free memory lately after reading a lot of posts about memory dropping and leaks, etc, and have been noticing my memory dropping very low very quickly.
    Example: After a day of use I went from 23mb (after a battery pull/reset) down to 8.7mb. I probably sent around 30 texts & 4 emails.

So about 15-20 minutes ago I did a battery pull and brought my phone from 9.1mb up to 25.5mb. Well since then I haven't sent a text, email, made a phone call, run apps . . . heck I haven't done anything with my phone just to see what's going on & already I'm down to 18.1mb!!

My question is what's going on? I'm new to BlackBerry. I make sure to close every application when I'm done with it. I've seen many other Storm owners claiming 40-55mb and I've only ever gotten as much as maybe 30mb...wtf?

Does anyone know why this is occurring? I saw a thread relating to freeing up memory but it had something to do with wiping the device and starting fresh...and I own a mac and don't have easy access to a pc to reinstall everything. Any help would be appreciated
    12-15-08 04:49 PM
    check to see what is open this will suck memory close all programs
    12-15-08 04:55 PM
    What applications do you have?
    12-15-08 04:56 PM
    check to see what is open this will suck memory close all programs
    The only programs open on my phone are the standard "always open" apps; Phone, Browser, Home Screen, BlackBerry Messenger, Messages. Nothing else is open

What applications do you have?
    Quick Pull, iSkoot, Opera Mini, Handango, CNN Mobile, Weatherbug, Trapster, Fake Call, Got2, Handango, Viigo, Beam Reader & Google Maps

Every program is closed when not in use
    12-15-08 05:00 PM
    I usually sit between 29mb and 38 mb
    12-15-08 05:01 PM
    The only programs open on my phone are the standard "always open" apps; Phone, Browser, Home Screen, BlackBerry Messenger, Messages. Nothing else is open

Quick Pull, iSkoot, Opera Mini, Handango, CNN Mobile, Weatherbug, Trapster, Fake Call, Got2, Handango, Viigo, Beam Reader & Google Maps

Every program is closed when not in use
    Do you actually notice a problem in the performance of the phone, or are you just obsessing about the numbers?
    12-15-08 05:03 PM
    Do you actually notice a problem in the performance of the phone, or are you just obsessing about the numbers?
    I notice the phone starts to get slower when it drops down around 9 or 10mb, which it seems to be doing on a regular basis and I can't figure out why.

On a device that in theory should be the same across the board (minus apps added), I do have some concern when others claim 40-55mb free and the most I've ever had is 30mb and it's never been over 25.5 after day 2 or 3. I'm not obsessing over the numbers, just the reason why it drops so much so fast
    Last edited by handscreate; 12-15-08 at 05:22 PM. Reason: typo
    12-15-08 05:08 PM
    Anyone have any other advice or ideas why my memory drops so much so fast?
    12-15-08 06:09 PM
    So it's been a couple days (and several reboots) and I'm still having the same issues with unexplained (severe) memory loss. I attached 2 screen shots showing the application memory on my storm from yesterday.

At 410.6kb & 1.7mb the phone is almost unresponsive . . . and this is a recurring thing

So any ideas? I've deleted all the apps I don't use, and nothing stays open except the 5 apps that we can't close (and sometimes VVM stays open since there's no way to close it)
    12-19-08 03:59 AM
    I am guessing one of those third party apps are the problem even though you don't have them open.
    12-19-08 04:01 AM
    did you try .83 yet?

try uninstalling visual voicemail?

you got a lot of apps, alot of them are "storm" ready yet. i would remove most of them that arent.
    12-19-08 04:04 AM
    Isn't Weatherbug a huge memory eater? Wonder why application memory affects phone performance, when it's device memory that should matter most.
    12-19-08 04:11 AM
    I am guessing one of those third party apps are the problem even though you don't have them open.
    That was a thought, but if they're not open nor been opened since the reboot, why are they using so much memory?

did you try .83 yet?

try uninstalling visual voicemail?

you got a lot of apps, alot of them are "storm" ready yet. i would remove most of them that arent.
    I use VVM or I'd uninstall it. I've deleted some of those apps after finding out they weren't really working so well on the Storm. Still having the same issue though

Isn't Weatherbug a huge memory eater? Wonder why application memory affects phone performance, when it's device memory that should matter most.
    I have no idea if weatherbug is a memory hog or not. If I'm not checking the weather, it's not running. I'm pretty sure application memory is like RAM on the phone & device memory is on board hard drive (sd card is like external drive). Please correct me if I'm wrong.
    12-19-08 04:23 AM
    i would remove VVM as a test, i think you can always put it back. I say that because most of us with no mem issues have it removed, so that could be the one factor that is different between ours and yours.
    12-19-08 04:25 AM
    i would remove VVM as a test, i think you can always put it back. I say that because most of us with no mem issues have it removed, so that could be the one factor that is different between ours and yours.
    If I remove it, what happens to the messages in VVM right now? Will I lose them or are they stored on Verizon server for VM? Sorry if it's a dumb question, but I started w/ an empty VM when I got this phone and since have gotten several VM's I need to keep in there

If I archive them where are they stored? Will I be able to restore them to VVM once reinstalled?
    12-19-08 04:27 AM
    Clean out those ad on apps. They are killing battery time and causing most of these performance questions the storm. viigo and the weather apps seemed to be the worst for me and the gps right not is killing the battery.
    anyone actually buy the storm to use as a blackberry phone?
    12-19-08 04:28 AM
    I deleted VVM from my home screen, but on the App store screen it shows it as being installed. When I click on it, it prompts me to reinstall it. Didn't mean to hijack the thread, but if the OP is gonna delete it, he may have this problem/question as well.
    12-19-08 04:30 AM
    I'm experiencing something similar too. Maybe not as bad, but similar. I will get around 40mb or so after a battery pull, and it will drop throughout the day with not much going on, as far as application use, phone use, browser, messages etc.

I have no 3rd party apps installed, but have not deleted anything yet. I'll try deleting the VVM application like suggested and see if it makes a difference. No wipes either, although I just upgraded to .75 OTA.

I just read a post by Crucial on how to delete the event logs, and read somewhere else that this process frees up memory. Maybe give that a try?
    12-19-08 07:52 AM
    I have had some similar issues. So I removed a bunch of 3rd party apps - CNN, AP, Time, Handango. I am saving VVM (I don't get that many VM's so I may delete it) for last. So a couple wierd things I noticed:
    1) In the Applications list I have 2 entries for AOL - Is this normal?
    2) I deleted VCast from the applications list. The Icon was in my app folder originally before the delete. I now have an Icon on the home screen and I don't know how to delete it. The Icon does not work when I select it. Any idea's on how to get rid of it?

After a battery pull I went from 20M to 36M
    12-19-08 08:20 AM
    Another question:
    Under Manage connections since I don't plan on going anywhere overseas should I change anything?
    12-19-08 08:25 AM
    hmmm I went from 20 to 30 after a battery pull. Nothing other than default apps running, and the verizon apps already removed. Something is not releasing memory after being closed, or there is a memory leak somewhere. I guess there could be a bunch of timed activities / service that kick off on schedule after battery pull that pull down memory?
    Last edited by realitydigg; 12-19-08 at 08:38 AM.
    12-19-08 08:33 AM
    Another question:
    Under Manage connections since I don't plan on going anywhere overseas should I change anything?
    You can change the network technology to 1XEV. In theory tis turns off the GSM side of the radio and saves battery. Remember to turn it back on when leaving the US and needing to roam GSM ....
    12-19-08 08:35 AM
    So it's been a couple days (and several reboots) and I'm still having the same issues with unexplained (severe) memory loss. I attached 2 screen shots showing the application memory on my storm from yesterday.

At 410.6kb & 1.7mb the phone is almost unresponsive . . . and this is a recurring thing

So any ideas? I've deleted all the apps I don't use, and nothing stays open except the 5 apps that we can't close (and sometimes VVM stays open since there's no way to close it)
    I cant be sure on this, as mine didn't drop as low as yours and i only tested for 5 min, but the Auto Enable Mass storage set to "on" made my mem drop about 4 megs over 5 min.

Try turning it off and see if it makes a diff after a batt pull.
    12-19-08 09:12 AM
    why not look at it from a technical stand point.

Go to Options>Advanced Options>Applications

Remove one app at a time that you installed and either let it restart the phone or do a battery pull. Next watch your memory when your memory stops dwindling down then you know which one is your problem app.

A blackberry is just like a computer use the same steps and remember to be patient and think things through.

I have VVM and VZNav installed cause I run it. I dont have to do a battery pull every 5 minutes nor do I have to do one everyday. I may do one every couple of days and the phone works fine for me.

I also use viigo and wsj app. other than that I dont have all these fly by night apps installed... I would suggest trying this method and see for yourself what is causing it. Then try and work with the developer to see if they will fix their app.
    12-19-08 09:24 AM
    I'm having a similar issue. My application memory starts around 37mb post battery pull, and slowly dwindles throughout the day. I have deleted VVM and VNav, because I don't use them right now. If I decide I want to use them later, not like it's real difficult to get them back. The only other apps I have on there are cubs.com, espn, facebook, soft reset and aim. As of right now, my phone is sitting at 32.3mb. So far today I've had one phone call, 4 text messages, and a couple levels of Word Mole (in a normal day I have about 4-5 calls and 50-75 texts). However, yesterday, after the usual day's worth of texts, a couple calls and three downloaded backgrounds, my memory dropped to <12mb. The phone was barely responsive at that level. I did a battery pull and it shot up to the usual 37mb, but no matter what I do, I can't get it above that number. I've checked and nothing but the usual programs are running, I exit out of everything by using the BB button, I delete the event log and do a memory cleanup periodically. I've even limited my home screen to 16 icons.

Does anyone have any idea what is sucking the memory out of my phone? And can anyone help me get the memory above 40mb that some people are claiming they have at all times? It's definitely apparent to me that the memory issue is the only thing slowing this phone down for me. After a battery pull this baby is fast as can be and works flawlessly, but I can't stand having a great phone in the morning, and an unresponsive one in the evening, nor do I think I should be doing a battery pull every day just to get it to work. Any help is greatly appreciated.
    12-19-08 10:45 AM
34 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD