Ok I am running the .90 OS on the storm 9530 and my 3rd party apps are facebook, myspace, flicker, bolt, traperster, nav4all, viigo, kgb, and youtube. When I went to check my memory it says I have 3.8 mb of free app memeory space, 867.6 mb free device memory space, and 6.5GB media card free space. I have a few questions.

1. How do I free up space on my apps because before I dled bolt and trapster I had 29.7 mb?

2. Having only 3.7 mb, does this mean I can not dl any more apps to my storm?

3. How come barley any of my device memeory is used?

4. I have an 8 GB media card in the phone, but under Total Space for the Media Card it says 7.6 GB. How come?
    01-24-09 04:26 PM
    You free space by deleting sh1t and not having so much installed. Or you can use several other tools to pull out segments of the OS or delete demo files and what not. Just search here and you can find that.

Having only 3.7 megs means you are running low on space and are going to have issues getting more apps on your phone yes. You can probably handle some small things but you should also try doing a battery pull and see how much space you have after a fresh battery pul.

Barely any of your device memory is used cause you're not using it to store things like videos, pictues, and things of that nature. This area exists for storing data. Emails and things of that nature should be using this storage location.

You can also store data in your storage card. your Media card says 7.6GB because its 8 marketing gigabytes which equates out to 7.6 real gigabytes when you actually calculate things in base 2 (binary) rather than base 10 (decimal).
    01-24-09 04:39 PM
    do a battery pull that should bring your device app memory back up. and also enable memory cleaner.
    01-24-09 04:41 PM
    Check out this thread first
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f132/holster-90-a-144194/

Not a programmer, im a blackberry tec.

and if you have memory cleaning on at all it will cause crazy ****, its not bugged out. I reccomend you disable it completly. And just go and manually turn the cleaner on once a morning and once at night. this will speed up your storm alot . for somereason the mem cleaner laggs the strom like no other.
    For me it's easy enough to mem clean and do a soft reset in the morning while I am waiting for my coffee to brew. IMHO letting the BB do it for me seems to creating to many issues right now.

Just my 2 cents worth

Craig
    01-24-09 04:53 PM
    do a battery pull that should bring your device app memory back up. and also enable memory cleaner.
    Why do people insist on obsessing over a silly number? And memory cleaning is listed under security options for a reason. It's a secure automated delete program, and has nothing to do with app mem.

Part of the problem seems to be that RIM doesn't seem to properly distinguish between memory and storage, which confuses people who haven't spent enough time around computers to have the difference etched into your memory. Still, they can't be held completely responsible, after all they do explain this in the bloody MANUAL if anyone ever bothered to read it. Or even doing a quick Google search. Shouldn't take more than 2-3 minutes to figure out it's not what you think it is.

Unless you work for some kind of security contractor or government agency, you probably don't need to bother with anything in the security section of the options at all.

And normally I'm all for the notion of people playing around with things, as it promotes a healthy curiosity that is sorely lacking in the world today... But in the case the the memory cleaning option, it just seems to promote the spread of misinformation and superstition. Which fascinate the amateur sociologist in me, but annoy the bejesus out of the tech in me.
    01-24-09 05:51 PM
    dude, do a battery pull, it frees up mucho memory
    01-24-09 05:59 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD