How much memory should you have to help the storm to work faster or before you start to slow it down?
    my application mem is at 42.9.mb...free
    my device 757.1mb free
    Is this good?
    Also is the micro sd card just for movies,pic,vid? What elese can go on it? App,games?????

Thanks
    12-28-08 02:42 PM
    bump
    12-28-08 02:53 PM
    Your memory limits sound okay to me. The only thing you really need to watch is your application memory getting low but that can be easily solved by a battery pull. For reference, my application memory is usually 48.5 with a battery pull and around 36 after a day of heavy usage. As for the memory card, there is a program if I remember that works with other blackberries that allows for applications to be run from the card but it isn't compatible with the storm as of yet.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-28-08 03:28 PM
    What's the difference between the "file free" number under Status and the "Application Memory" under Memory?

EDIT: sorry for the noob question...
    Last edited by tstrebeck; 12-29-08 at 06:05 PM.
    12-29-08 05:58 PM
    The OS has a built-in memory cleaner.
    You just need to enable it.
    It is found under security options
    12-29-08 06:02 PM
    Why would it be disabled?
    12-29-08 06:06 PM
    Seems like the only time i get memory leak is after it has been charging
    12-29-08 06:09 PM
    My free memory VERY rarely is above 40mb, usually in the 36-39 range. The only applications I have installed are YouTube, Facebook, and AIM, none of which are left running in the background. I do a battery pull every morning. I also have memory cleaning enabled. I'm currently running .75 because I'm reluctant to upgrade to anything that isn't official.

Should I mark this up as just being a typical .75 issue, or are there settings I should be changing to resolve this issue?
    12-29-08 06:15 PM
    That's not really what most people think it is. The reason it's under the security settings is because it pertains to security. Imagine some fictional spy who has a bunch of sensitive information on their Storm and is in enemy territory. If caught, our spy wants to make sure that any attempt by the enemy to retrieve data from their Storm will be met with the maximum amount of difficulty. So rather than relying on the NORMAL delete which doesn't actually delete files so much as mark that space available for use, our spy enabled secure memory cleaning. So that files deleted are overwritten with garbage data making any kind of retrieval extremely difficult if not impossible.

Now, people MIGHT see some benefit from enabling this feature, because it does look as if it can trigger the garbage collector a bit more often. So there is probably some indirect benefit from it, but it's primary goal is to make the use of any sort of undelete program useless. So someone like our fictional spy, with important information we wouldn't want falling into the wrong hands, can be at peace about that should the enemy catch and execute him.

Also, free RAM is wasted RAM. Just stop and think about it for a second. For the phone to do anything, it requires RAM, but everyone is obsessing about having the maximum amount of it just sitting idle. You want all the RAM used for SOMETHING, just having the firmware dynamically shift the allocations around to whatever needs more RAM. So when it's just running the core apps, RAM can be used for caching purposes, but if you load up Giant Memory Sucking Program 1.0, it will free up some of that RAM for it.
    Last edited by bigman2; 12-29-08 at 06:36 PM.
    12-29-08 06:32 PM
    My device stays around 14 MB free? Yet it works great? Am I crazy I never have apps | back running I use and close always. Is this norm? I only ask cause some of you say you have upwards of 30 MB free?

12-29-08 06:37 PM
    I actually solved my problem after posting. Didn't realize I still had those crazy language files installed on my storm. After deleting those, deleting and reinstalling AIM and YouTube (the Facebook blows too much nuts to reinstall), I'm up in the 46-48 range.

14mb seems very low. When was the last time you did a battery pull?
    12-29-08 06:42 PM
    The Storm has 1GB of built-in memory but it only uses about 65MB or so (correct me if I am wrong) for applications. How come? And, is there a way to increase the allocation for applications?
    12-29-08 06:45 PM
    The Storm has 1GB of built-in memory but it only uses about 65MB or so (correct me if I am wrong) for applications. How come? And, is there a way to increase the allocation for applications?
    It's 128MB, and no, there's currently no way to alter that. Personally I think it has to do with maintaining backwards compatibility, but it's just an educated guess. I don't know if CX has any knowledge of this particular subject and if he would be allowed to share if he did, but short of some RIM developer coming along and saying, "This is the way it is and why," we'll probably never know for sure. I wouldn't think simply saying it's done to preserve backwards compatibility would be a NDA violation, but some NDAs can be ridiculously draconian.
    12-29-08 06:57 PM
    My device stays around 14 MB free? Yet it works great? Am I crazy I never have apps | back running I use and close always. Is this norm? I only ask cause some of you say you have upwards of 30 MB free?

mine ends up like this at the end of the day i close all apps but it still goes low it does seem better today mid 20s after i did .85 upgrade
    12-29-08 07:02 PM
    First off I'd like to thank the original poster for bringing this topic up.

A couple of questions from a first time bb user.

After a battery pull my applications memory is around 46mb and during the day it can go as low as 29mb. Why does this happen? Is this what is meant by "memory leak"?

What is the difference between file memory and application memory?

The only apps installed are youtube, weather bug and nav4all. I'm using OS 75.

I'm also using the memory cleaner, are there any other tips to keep my storm from slowing down? I've just gone through the first 15 pages of the tips/tricks sticky thread and have a lot more to read.

Thank you so much
    12-29-08 07:13 PM
    After reading 100's of posts on application memory and making all kinds of adjustments to try to get me above 30mb even after a battery pull, I am convinced that mine tends to be lower at all times than some others (I'm at 14.5mb right now with nothing running) as a result of my contacts, calendar and emails that run through the company's BES.

While I only have two mail folders (inbox and sent items) of Outlook mail that I sync with my Storm, my General Options are set to keep Messages "Forever" (with good hygeine, there are only 70 messages in those folders atm) and Calendar appointments are set to keep for 90 days and I have appointements every day. My main culprit could be my Contacts. I have 359 individual contacts that sync to the Storm as well as several "Group Lists" that probably include another 200 individual contacts.

I'd like to hear from those who understand this better than me if my theory makes sense. Others who have been furiously installing and removing apps without much change in application memory may be looking in the wrong place for a solution as well if they are only looking at apps for improvement.

Make sense? I have no complaints becasue I am running smoothly. But I'd sure feel better if I were at least booting-up to 40 mb or so.....
    12-29-08 07:24 PM
    this mine after 12 hours just the standard stuff opened
    12-29-08 08:10 PM
    I always tend to hang around 25-27.

With nothing running.

It's annoying to have to do a damn battery pull every day though. Why can't they just make it work the first time? haha

Will the new updates help this problem?

I'm currently on .75 because I'd rather have the "official" update because i'm a BB n00b. lol
    12-30-08 11:02 AM
    I always tend to hang around 25-27.

With nothing running.

It's annoying to have to do a damn battery pull every day though. Why can't they just make it work the first time? haha

Will the new updates help this problem?

I'm currently on .75 because I'd rather have the "official" update because i'm a BB n00b. lol
    To do a soft-reboot flush, set your auto off / auto on to like 3am and 3:30am daily. This way you don't have to do a batt pull if you're concerned about memory leaking.
    12-30-08 11:05 AM
    To do a soft-reboot flush, set your auto off / auto on to like 3am and 3:30am daily. This way you don't have to do a batt pull if you're concerned about memory leaking.

Correct me if I'm wrong on this one, (I'm sort of a BB noob), but if you enable the auto on/off, I don't believe this powers down the device entirely...its puts it in standby, sort of like holding down the power button..
    12-30-08 11:09 AM
    Hmmm. Well I could try it, but I want to see what you have to say about this guy. Because that's what I thought too.

Correct me if I'm wrong on this one, (I'm sort of a BB noob), but if you enable the auto on/off, I don't believe this powers down the device entirely...its puts it in standby, sort of like holding down the power button..
    That's what I thought too....
    12-30-08 11:13 AM
    Hence soft-reboot...

Just try it. it might work for you. Personally I think too much is being made about the memory but...to each their own

I gained 1.7mb back... was @ 25.6 now at 27.3
    Last edited by onstageone; 12-30-08 at 11:20 AM. Reason: Just did it...
    12-30-08 11:16 AM
    My free memory VERY rarely is above 40mb, usually in the 36-39 range. The only applications I have installed are YouTube, Facebook, and AIM, none of which are left running in the background. I do a battery pull every morning. I also have memory cleaning enabled. I'm currently running .75 because I'm reluctant to upgrade to anything that isn't official.

Should I mark this up as just being a typical .75 issue, or are there settings I should be changing to resolve this issue?
    My memory is always around 27-33 only in the mornings are around 39 and the only application I have is youtube...I wish i could make it better...my memory cleaner is also enabled...is there anything i can do? I'm running on .85 now...
    12-30-08 11:32 AM
    Hence soft-reboot...

Just try it. it might work for you. Personally I think too much is being made about the memory but...to each their own

I gained 1.7mb back... was @ 25.6 now at 27.3

lol. You might be right haha because everyone else got me freaking out about it. I'll try to not worry as the system does still work fine though.
    12-30-08 11:53 AM
    My Storm runs incredibly slow when and only when the memory dips below ~30MB or so, and runs beautifully when its over 45MB. I've noticed, but perhaps it is just a coincidence, that after I enabled the onboard memory manager, the memory is now stablilized between 41MB and 52MB. Before, It would dip down to 7.2 MB, and thats a no bueno..
    12-30-08 03:08 PM
28 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD