Is it possible to switch manually between GSM and CDMA here in the USA?

Suppose I'm traveling and end up in an area with horrible cdma signal or in a building where I get horrible cdma signal but GSM is strong in both instances. Can I switch the VZW 9530 Storm to the GSM signal (tmo or at&t)?

Curious minds want to know

Thanks!
    11-13-08 10:52 AM
    Im not familiar with the technology but they did say GSM was for overseas only so im thinking no you cant switch.
    11-13-08 10:54 AM
    It's quad-band GSM so it's possible to use it on TMo or ATT but its unclear as to whether or not the phone comes unlocked or if you'll need to call the international roaming dept to get the unlock code (like how it was for the 8830)
    11-13-08 01:00 PM
    You would have to call VZW to unlock the phone and with the new plans they have , maybe even have to sign up for one if you want it unlocked. Not sure though.
    11-13-08 02:22 PM
    Wow, that would be ideal to have a phone that seamlessly switched between CDMA and GSM based on whichever had the better signal at a given time!

That's always been my complaint about US cellular carriers...incompatible technologies.

Don't know if I'd want to sign up for an expensive "International Plan" to get that service though.
    11-13-08 02:30 PM
    I have an unlocked blackberry storm and it is dual band its supposed to be able to change from gsm to cdma eitherway. I just dont know yet how.
    You can scan for available networks and switch to another network but its still either gsm or cdma it depends waht you have activated I still dont know how to change it
    01-07-09 06:52 PM
    Hi, I tried to load Ver5.0 on my 9500 GSM model, now the Radio wil not go on, the phone now seems to think it should be searching for CDMA network. I have downgraded the OS to 4.7 but it remains on CDMA. How can I change back GSM?
    01-22-10 02:37 AM
    Hi, I tried to load Ver5.0 on my 9500 GSM model, now the Radio wil not go on, the phone now seems to think it should be searching for CDMA network. I have downgraded the OS to 4.7 but it remains on CDMA. How can I change back GSM?
    First of all, a 9500 is an all GSM phone, so I'm not sure how it's searching for CDMA networks. Which 5.0 OS version did you try to install?

But, go to Manage Connections> Mobile Network Options> Network Technology, and change it to GSM.
    01-22-10 02:51 AM
    Is it possible to switch manually between GSM and CDMA here in the USA?

Suppose I'm traveling and end up in an area with horrible cdma signal or in a building where I get horrible cdma signal but GSM is strong in both instances. Can I switch the VZW 9530 Storm to the GSM signal (tmo or at&t)?

Curious minds want to know

Thanks!
    To get the 9530 to work in the US, you have to:

1) Get the phone unlocked (free from VZW if your account is in good standing).

2) Get an at&t or T-Mobile SIM. The VZW SIM won't allow roaming on at&t or T-Mobile.

3) Be happy with 2G data service. 3G GSM on the 9530 does not work in the US, due to the frequency used.
    01-23-10 05:53 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD