09-19-08 01:42 PM
    That would be a dream come true!!

1) Get paid $20 for using a phone
    2) Not just any phone, but the BB Storm
    3) Star in a commercial
    09-19-08 02:46 PM
    I was with the other guy when he saw the yeti using a storm. If I recall, he was actually given 2 klondike bars, not 3. This was due to his typo which brought him to whitehouse .com instead of .gov. Thus, the video was scrapped, and you'll never see the yeti video... Believe people!
    09-19-08 02:53 PM
    I don't know if BGR is on a quest to convince everyone the Storm will be a failure or what. Here's "Bob's" comment at BG of him supposedly getting to play with the Storm
    "This is Bob. I read BGR each day and was excited to actually be able to report something useful. It did in fact happen. Two cameras and a fairly large crew were roaming around the large food court where I work. We actually ate next to where the remote viewing group was setup.

Me and a couple of friends spent a few minutes with the �talent� guy in front of the cameras and then he let us fiddle with the Storm for a minute or so. They were hitting people as quickly as they could, I imagine to get footage for commercials and the like, as we did sign waivers and had a polaroid taken.

I mainly wanted to experience the touch screen and see how the tactile keyboard worked. I reacted positively for the sake of the cameras, but actually wasn�t too impressed. The main issue I see is that you have to press fairly hard to register a key press and I think it�ll wind up slowing down fast typers.

I can understand the skeptics, but I can assure you I didn�t dream the experience."
    09-19-08 03:33 PM
    I was with the other guy when he saw the yeti using a storm. If I recall, he was actually given 2 klondike bars, not 3. This was due to his typo which brought him to whitehouse .com instead of .gov. Thus, the video was scrapped, and you'll never see the yeti video... Believe people!
    whitehouse .com is actually a news site now. We were trying to hyperlink a friend their only to find out that it wasn't pron anymore...

but yeah... I call BS on only paying a guy $20 bucks to be in a commercial.
    09-19-08 03:38 PM
    this is bull for a lot of reasons. they wouldnt show just one person and if they did, they wouldn't pay him to look at it. and they wouldnt shoot a commercial in a mall. it all just makes no sense and seems like an obvious case of someone just trying to be cool.
    09-19-08 03:38 PM
    this is bull for a lot of reasons. they wouldnt show just one person and if they did, they wouldn't pay him to look at it. and they wouldnt shoot a commercial in a mall. it all just makes no sense and seems like an obvious case of someone just trying to be cool.
    I'm getting sick of hearing them bad mouth it

EDIT: Having an opinion is okay, but try and back it up with data and at least present it from both sides. I was glad to see Brew Ninja's video because it very easy for me to form my own understanding. This latest post is just useless. I don't remember BGR being so cynical.
    Last edited by BigVDawgy; 09-19-08 at 04:00 PM.
    09-19-08 03:45 PM
    "I mainly wanted to experience the touch screen and see how the tactile keyboard worked. I reacted positively for the sake of the cameras, but actually wasn’t too impressed. The main issue I see is that you have to press fairly hard to register a key press and I think it’ll wind up slowing down fast typers."[/I]

I can't wait to see Crucial's input on this
    09-19-08 04:00 PM
    makes no sense- stupid
    09-19-08 04:08 PM
    Bob's follow up on BGR, nothing we haven't already seen ourselves and I am a little skeptical about his comment of the screen bending at the bottom edge when he was typing (I don't believe the screen is a "one button")
    "I’ve been fairly busy this afternoon and hadn’t read all of the posts. Someone pooh-pooh’d all the background story and wanted details. As I only spent a minute with it hands on, there’s not a lot to say, but here’s what I remember …

The size seemed small in my hands, smaller than what I remember an iphone felt like.

The home screen icons reminded me of the pics of the Bold home screen I saw.

When in portrait mode the keyboard is like a Pearl, when in landscape it’s a full qwerty.

When rotating from portrait to landscape, it seems to be a bit laggy. But I don’t have a lot of experience with devices that do that, so maybe it’s normal. It’d take getting used to if I owned one.

When I clicked on keys on the landscape keyboard, I watched the bottom edge of the screen and the whole edge depressed. I didn’t notice if the top edge depressed too.

As I mentioned earlier, to me it took too much pressure to get a valid keystroke.

The “talent” guy hyped up the tactile feature by lightly running his finger across the keyboard and it wouldn’t capture any letters. But there was a blue “halo” that followed his finger around. Didn’t see any use for the halo, but it looked cool.

The depressing screen is an interesting concept, but I wonder about the stability of that mechanism over time. But RIM has been producing great hardware from the beginning, I’ve been using their devices since way back when they were the three line lcd screens and all devices I’ve used have held up well and performed well. No reason to think they haven’t done their homework on this device as well.

That’s all I can think of, if you have an questions, you can let me know. But just know that I didn’t hyper-analyze the thing … didn’t have time."
    09-19-08 04:11 PM
    I'm not concerned with speed as much as I am with accuracy. It's understandable that it will be slower than a full querty device since it can only register 1 key press at a time, so you would likely have to be more deliberate with your typing. At least as far as I can understand. I am guessing there will be an option to disable the clickscreen requirement and work off touch only for those who want to blaze away on the thing. Either way, I don't type that fast with two thumbs anyways, so I'm sure this will suffice. If there is an option to disable the clickscreen, then it's still a feature over what the iPhone offers.
    09-19-08 04:18 PM
    everything he is saying is something anyone who has watched any of the videos, minute with mike and brew ninja, could come up with and then add some stuff that we dont know to it. i really dont see RIM putting out a piece of crap. Yeah the bold has some issues but nothing to take away from how great the phone is.
    09-19-08 04:19 PM
    everything he is saying is something anyone who has watched any of the videos, minute with mike and brew ninja, could come up with and then add some stuff that we dont know to it. i really dont see RIM putting out a piece of crap. Yeah the bold has some issues but nothing to take away from how great the phone is.
    He hasn't added anything that we don't already know. I call Shenanigans
    09-19-08 04:23 PM
    I find it interesting that Boy Genius, who's always trying to find a way to bash Verizon, and has recently been speaking negatively about the Storm, although he doesn't even have one himself( "We've been had"), gets a report from a random man who first says, "I am in a Storm Commercial"......then more info is added, "I'm not impressed". This seems to be Boy Genius's agenda.
    09-19-08 04:27 PM
    He hasn't added anything that we don't already know. I call Shenanigans
    ill second that.

I mean if i were to say that:

I was in the same commercial but i cant give any location details because i signed a non disclosure agreement. What i can tell you is the touchscreen is amazing it has WIFI and GPS is unlocked. It also has a program that shoots lasers and turns the device into a 40 foot robot i can control with my mind.

Why not believe me? you cant prove that im making it up. I am just as credible as this guy that works in the food court.
    Last edited by rockstar323; 09-19-08 at 04:36 PM.
    09-19-08 04:27 PM
    I glance at BGR once a day, just to see what's what. However, I think that BGR is a bit iPhone-sided since most of the posts about Blackberries on that site are always bashing and stuff. Did you notice how he never put up anything bad about the iPhone 3G and all its issues? Come on! But as soon as something can be put up bad about a BB, he's all over it!
    09-19-08 04:32 PM
    (I don't believe the screen is a "one button")
    How exactly do you propose the screen functioning then? I'm not being a smart ***, simply wondering how you feel a glass screen is going to differentiate between a touch and a push if not through the use of a movable screen structure of some kind?
    09-19-08 04:34 PM
    How exactly do you propose the screen functioning then? I'm not being a smart ***, simply wondering how you feel a glass screen is going to differentiate between a touch and a push if not through the use of a movable screen structure of some kind?
    According to the patent, if I'm understanding it correctly, it has localized resistive response
    SYSTEM AND METHOD OF INTEGRATING A ... - Google Patents

EDIT: Also, I have seen nothing to confirm a glass screen
    09-19-08 04:37 PM
    According to the patent, if I'm understanding it correctly, it has localized resistive response

Excellent, thanks for the info! Good read...
    09-19-08 04:40 PM

Wouldn't glass be a bit costly for RIM seeing as how some people constantly drop their berries? I mean, I know OtterBox will come out with something but since the screen is like the entire thing, how much can you really protect it?
    09-19-08 04:43 PM
    Wouldn't glass be a bit costly for RIM seeing as how some people constantly drop their berries? I mean, I know OtterBox will come out with something but since the screen is like the entire thing, how much can you really protect it?
    that "other touchscreen phone" made by "the fruit people" has a glass screen.
    09-19-08 04:45 PM
    I had a glass screen on my Handspring years ago and sure enough first time I dropped it, shattered the screen. Since then I've had Palm's, Win Mo's, and BB's with plastic screens and have never had one of those screens break on me. I personally would have no issue with plastic instead of glass.
    09-19-08 04:46 PM
    You mean like this

EDIT: Sorry to hijack thread, back on topic...
    09-19-08 04:49 PM
    I thought I had read that it had a glass screen. I understand you could get a little flex out of the glass, but I wouldn't think it'd be precise enough for determining position. It sounds like it's almost measuring the change that occurs when you touch a normal non-touch LCD screen, where it ripples slightly around the point of impact... I'll have to read it further later, but sounds like a unique device.

It would be fascinating if this technology found it's way into the next generation of Windows 7 PC's with multi touch... Would fund additional blackberries. I wonder if there is a size or aspect ratio limitation to this technology...
    09-19-08 04:51 PM
    Yes, this I know. And I know a guy who has gone through five of them because they've been dropped or fell out of the holster. I told him to get an Otterbox for it but he said he doesn't like the way they look. So he's shattered the thing 5 times already.

The only advantage that I'd see to having glass over plastic is ease of cleaning since glass would be a little bit harder to put a scratch in (possibly) than the plastic.
    09-19-08 04:51 PM
35 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD