View Poll Results: Should the Click be Optional???

Voters
108. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

51 47.22%
  • No

39 36.11%
  • Don't Care

18 16.67%
    This is just a Poll to go along with this thread:

http://forums.crackberry.com/f86/why...tional-125418/

I'm curious what the real numbers might look like.

I personally think it does NOT need to be optional and the click really allows me to be more accurate in the everyday use of the device.

CX maybe you can merge the 2? Not sure. Don't want to clog up too much space with 2 threads about the same thing
    12-30-08 06:36 PM
    where is the poll?

Well I vote a yes! why not at least give us the option for different situation.
    12-30-08 06:38 PM
    yes, make the click optional and change the name to iphone!
    12-30-08 06:39 PM
    bump. i know you guys have opinions, come on!!!
    Last edited by alan8385; 12-31-08 at 08:05 AM.
    12-30-08 08:37 PM
    It should be optional. There's no compelling reason to not make it optional, at least for the pop up keyboard.

If they can make the pressed letter pop up over your finger, just like on my touch screen mp3 player , that would be great.
    12-30-08 08:42 PM
    Yeah I guess

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-30-08 08:44 PM
    what's the point of saying NO? just to screw over the people who want the option? i think thats a bit vindictive...
    12-30-08 09:02 PM
    It's not really vindictive, it's just a lot easier to see numbers and percentages in one spot than read through 100 posts on another thread to see how folks are feeling about this.
    12-30-08 09:12 PM
    what's the point of saying NO? just to screw over the people who want the option? i think thats a bit vindictive...
    I believe it's called an opinion. One that you may call vindictive, others may not. Why "No" .... in my case I would rather have RIM working, or thinking about, on something else which may be more productive with the phone that I bought, not one that I "wish" I could have. My opinion, that's all.
    12-30-08 09:18 PM
    Pressing is a feature of the phone. If you don't like the clicking, why buy a storm? Go buy a WM phone or an iPhone. This is what separates the two....

I mean honestly, is the clicking really that big of a deal? Think about it, you CLICK which takes .2 seconds compared to touching which takes .159248 seconds. This is probably the most unncessary option.
    12-30-08 10:03 PM
    Without the click the Storm would be too much like the iPhone. I like the click.
    12-30-08 10:04 PM
    How could the click be optional with the same hardware? It takes such a light touch for me to click the screen on my Storm that it would be impossible for me to type without just clicking the screen anyway.

Maybe if the hardware somehow locked the screen in the pushed-in position.... but then (as many others have said) you might as well get an iPhone.
    12-30-08 10:21 PM
    Pressing is a feature of the phone. If you don't like the clicking, why buy a storm? Go buy a WM phone or an iPhone. This is what separates the two....

I mean honestly, is the clicking really that big of a deal? Think about it, you CLICK which takes .2 seconds compared to touching which takes .159248 seconds. This is probably the most unncessary option.
    well you buy a storm because you like verizon and you like the BB interface and the OS and all sorts of other reasons brah

the click does NOT separate the two

and yes the clicking is a big deal in high speed texting
    12-30-08 10:30 PM
    Adding this feature would be a huge mistake for RIM, and would undermine a lot of their efforts in marketing the Storm.

While it wouldn't exactly be the complete and total downfall of the device, as some have tried to straw man in the linked discussion, it would likely result in the Storm being classified as just another Jesus Phone clone. Exactly what RIM was hoping to avoid with SurePress. You can see the full justification in the linked discussion.

If typing speed is such a concern for someone, they should have tested out Storm demo models in stores before buying. I have no sympathy for people who whine about this on the Storm, yet refuse to return it for something else that will better suit them. Clearly it isn't as big a problem as they make it out to be or they would have taken it back for something else.
    12-30-08 10:51 PM
    no dont need any more problems
    12-30-08 10:53 PM
    Adding this feature would be a huge mistake for RIM, and would undermine a lot of their efforts in marketing the Storm.

While it wouldn't exactly be the complete and total downfall of the device, as some have tried to straw man in the linked discussion, it would likely result in the Storm being classified as just another Jesus Phone clone. Exactly what RIM was hoping to avoid with SurePress. You can see the full justification in the linked discussion.

If typing speed is such a concern for someone, they should have tested out Storm demo models in stores before buying. I have no sympathy for people who whine about this on the Storm, yet refuse to return it for something else that will better suit them. Clearly it isn't as big a problem as they make it out to be or they would have taken it back for something else.
    I agree 100% with this reply. Surepress is what MADE this phone in all reality. I actually type on it quite fast to be honest.
    12-30-08 10:58 PM
    Wow. Pretty much split down the middle. I'm pretty surprised that the results are leaning towards anti-click at this point.

I wonder how many the people who want an optional click actually own a Storm. (not saying *none* of them do. I just wouldn't be surprised if some of the people who voted yes are basing their decision on a few minutes with the device)
    12-30-08 11:04 PM
    it just feels like clicking takes too much time. I like it in opera that you _DONT_ have to click to click on a link. I would rather stay with this version of opera than upgrade (although i miss being able to type in numbers). I hope that they do incorporate the option into the phone. Its just another option. If you dont like clicking, then turn it off. Simple as that if you like it. Then leave it the **** alone. I dont understand why people want it to not have a click, it just optional, so by saying no you pretty much are screwing people over who want it regardless of how or why you say no, thats the truth.
    12-30-08 11:07 PM
    Wow. Pretty much split down the middle. I'm pretty surprised that the results are leaning towards anti-click at this point.

I wonder how many the people who want an optional click actually own a Storm. (not saying *none* of them do. I just wouldn't be surprised if some of the people who voted yes are basing their decision on a few minutes with the device)
    It's not anti-click. It's optional touch. I think this misconception is the biggest problem in this discussion.

If you think SurePress differentiates the storm from the other phones, thats fine. You will still have SurePress after "SureTouch" is added.

It's also funny to see ppl say RIM should spend their time working on something else. I bet changing the popup keyboard from press to touch would prolly take 10 minutes.

s/OnPress/OnTouch

lol
    12-30-08 11:11 PM
    it just feels like clicking takes too much time. I like it in opera that you _DONT_ have to click to click on a link. I would rather stay with this version of opera than upgrade (although i miss being able to type in numbers). I hope that they do incorporate the option into the phone. Its just another option. If you dont like clicking, then turn it off. Simple as that if you like it. Then leave it the **** alone. I dont understand why people want it to not have a click, it just optional, so by saying no you pretty much are screwing people over who want it regardless of how or why you say no, thats the truth.
    That's really the key. If you like press, keep using press. Why stop other ppl from having a choice?
    12-30-08 11:12 PM
    It's not anti-click. It's optional touch. I think this misconception is the biggest problem in this discussion.
    Whoops, my bad. Ignore the anti-click remark; I was under the impression that those who would prefer the option just plain didn't like having to click the screen.

I still think it would be awkward typing without clicking unless the hardware were somehow modified.
    12-30-08 11:15 PM
    I like the click in general, going back to a regular touchscreen feels weird now. However, I would like to try typing without it as the click seems to limit the top end typing speed somewhat.
    12-30-08 11:18 PM
    The only problem I have with the click-typing is making sure I lift my thumb and let the screen come back up before I try to hit another letter...

But this hardly affects my typing speed and is a small price to pay for not accidentally selecting every darn menu item or browser link!
    12-30-08 11:43 PM
    uqmoore I hope the click isn't the reason you went back to the Curve!
    12-30-08 11:44 PM
    uqmoore I hope the click isn't the reason you went back to the Curve!
    I returned the storm mostly because of the random reboots. Cheek error was also a show stopper at the time. Sure, I could have gotten a replacement. But for me, my tolerance for buggy phones is zero after using the curve since May. I may come back to the storm if some of the usability issues get fixed and it's stable for a few months.
    12-30-08 11:59 PM
31 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD