Anyone else notice that the microphone on the Storm is very quiet during calls? Everyone I talk to complains that my voice volume is very quiet. I searched through the manual/user guide and did not find anything about background noise suppression or cancellation.

Thank you in advance
    12-03-08 11:27 PM
    Is your pinky by any chance hovering under the bottom edge of the phone and blocking the pinhole for the mic?
    12-03-08 11:33 PM
    Nope, unfortunately thats not the cause...
    12-03-08 11:40 PM
    Make sure you don't have dynamic volume control turned on in Phone Options.
    12-03-08 11:41 PM
    Call me stupid but how do I find that?
    12-03-08 11:45 PM
    Phone (hit Send once), Menu/Options. Look under General or somewhere in there... it's there somewhere.
    12-04-08 12:13 AM
    Dont see it. Im using the leaked version of the .75 OS.

Any other ideas?
    12-04-08 12:22 AM
    Try under phone > options> enhanced audio
    12-04-08 06:11 AM
    Automatic Volume Control is disabled.

Is it just my phone that the mic sucks? I know the phone has noise suppression/cancellation on it, I just want to disable it so the other party can hear me speak without me having to raise my voice.

Thanks
    12-04-08 08:59 PM
    I tried the above too which didn't help. Others complain all the time they can't hear me. My earpiece is not good either. Distorted and not loud. I went to the store and tested with a demo unit and it sounded a ton better.

I pretty much have to use Bluetooth. Others can hear me better but my audio is still distorted very badly.

Called VZW and they are sending a new one.

I haven't had the screen click issues, just the audio, but that is the primary reason to have a phone so I asked for a replacement.

Good luck, but I think you may be in the same boat I am in. Hopefully the next one will be better.
    12-04-08 09:11 PM
    Dang, thats not what I wanted to hear.

I guess Ill be going to Verizon tomorrow and checking out their demo.

Thanks for the info
    12-04-08 11:07 PM
    I had the same problem with my second unit (poor quality on handset, but crystal clear on speaker). Called tech support and they rep suggested that I try to wipe it. I did this and the problem seems to have been resolved...no more complaints, at least not so far.
    01-06-09 08:10 PM
    does anyone feel that wen you on the phone speaking to someone and the speaker is just not clear but a little scratchy and low?
    01-06-09 08:37 PM
    Maybe this isn't a fix, but I just always have the person I'm talking to on speaker and I adjust the ear piece volume accordingly.
    01-06-09 09:39 PM
    The problem isn't the enhanced audio but the "Default Call Volume" mine was set to 50%, which drove me and callers nuts that they can't hear me.
    Here's the fix:

Make sure you are in your Dial Key Pad. Hit the menu button and then options. Under phone options, select and click General Options. Scroll down to Default Call Volume and change that number to your desired level. 75% is safer so people can't hear the person calling you from your earpiece.

Make a test call and ask the person if they can hear you well.

By Omar Sallah
    05-26-09 11:27 PM
    05-26-09 11:44 PM
    Dont see it. Im using the leaked version of the .75 OS.

Any other ideas?
    ummm there is no difference between the leaked .75 and the official .75 that VZW has on new phones, for DL, etc... so you can just say ".75"...

but i haven't heard any issues with one build or another having volume issues. and nothing in the change logs about it either
    05-27-09 01:28 AM
    what is enhanced audio anyway....It comes disabled...what does it do...automatic volume control?
    Last edited by harpua19; 06-06-09 at 08:46 PM.
    06-06-09 08:36 PM
    I've done several tests; "Can you hear me now?" "Is this better?"
    "How 'bout now?" and I've found that the person on the other phone can definitely hear me better when the phone is held in a landscape position. Everyone said my voice sounds muffled with the phone held more up and down. Try it.
    06-07-09 02:04 PM
    I have had the same problem with my blackberry Curve 8330. Any suggestions

Thanks!
    06-09-09 10:30 AM
    The problem isn't the enhanced audio but the "Default Call Volume" mine was set to 50%, which drove me and callers nuts that they can't hear me.
    Here's the fix:

Make sure you are in your Dial Key Pad. Hit the menu button and then options. Under phone options, select and click General Options. Scroll down to Default Call Volume and change that number to your desired level. 75% is safer so people can't hear the person calling you from your earpiece.

Make a test call and ask the person if they can hear you well.

By Omar Sallah
    That option does not control the mic volume, just the headset volume or speaker volume. However, that level must have some bearing on the ambient noise logic in the OS which is probably where this problem is coming from. To date, there hasn't been a single Blackberry I've used that has had really good voice/call quality. About the only phone I've ever used that had amazing call quality and amazing ambient noise suppression has been a Moto Razr. I'm still amazed that you can't take a Blackberry, turn on speakerphone and place it on a table in front of a group of people and use it as a SPEAKERPHONE. Since when has a cell phone speakerphone graduated to being only usable if you hold the damn thing no more then 6 inches from your mouth. Again... WTF RIM?
    06-09-09 10:52 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD