Ok so I Lost my Storm last month, called my insurance and received a replacement, a week later someone found my Storm and returned it. The storm that i lost was only a day old and when i got it back it was in the same condition as i lost it. I believe i Cannot use that storm because it has been reported stolen.
    Now heres my dilema:
    I want to give the cell to my girlfriend so she can use it, as she hates the bb world edition. I found a store nearby called Cell Phone Repair, i emailed them and told them my story. They emailed me back and said they can fix it by giving it a new ESN number. Can someone please tell me if this will work.
    03-20-09 01:19 AM
    Ok so I Lost my Storm last month, called my insurance and received a replacement, a week later someone found my Storm and returned it. The storm that i lost was only a day old and when i got it back it was in the same condition as i lost it. I believe i Cannot use that storm because it has been reported stolen.
    Now heres my dilema:
    I want to give the cell to my girlfriend so she can use it, as she hates the bb world edition. I found a store nearby called Cell Phone Repair, i emailed them and told them my story. They emailed me back and said they can fix it by giving it a new ESN number. Can someone please tell me if this will work.
    You already got your new storm from your insurance claim.... I don't think you can legally keep both and use both... I'm not sure if you CAN or not, but I think that could be some bad juju if you try and activate the one you claimed lost...

GO CHARGERS.
    03-20-09 01:39 AM
    Why don't you do the honest and right thing and let Verizon know it was found? Then go from there?

This person you contacted can probably make it work on another carrier, but not Verizon.
    03-20-09 01:41 AM
    actually, he would contact the insurance company. so do the right thing and give them a call. if it's Asurion, the number is 888.881.2622.

and I would say that any company who says they can give it a new ESN is probably a company who specializes in stolen stuff...
    03-20-09 01:43 AM
    I'll never understand.......

One day someone finds a storm and wants to keep it and we all agree the right thing to do is return it since that's what we would want to happen if it was our storm. Now someone loses it, gets the replacement, its found and returned and now you want to keep it wtf

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by TheChampJT; 03-20-09 at 02:07 AM.
    03-20-09 01:55 AM
    Profiting from an insurance claim is Insurance Fraud with punishment being different per state. The proper course of action is to advise your insurance carrier of the newly returned phone that they replaced. You purchased one phone therefore having two for the price of one is not ethical or honest. However, I understand in today's world dishonesty seems to reign over honesty so the decision is yours to make but I would agree with the previous post suggesting bad "JuJu", what comes around goes around so be careful. You may be able to negotiate a buy back price, just a thought. I am a retired claims adjuster in Florida so this post wasn't made up out of thin air.
    03-20-09 06:01 AM
    Ethics man, Ethics!

The reason this economy is in such sorry shape is some people decided to put their desires (more $$ in pocket) over what was ethical (giving someone a loan you know they will eventually have to default on).
    03-20-09 06:06 AM
    I see the ethics police are out in full force today.. Why don't you leave the ethics up to him and answer his question. If he decides to go through with insurance fraud it is up to him. I love how everyone sticks up for the big corporations and insurance companies.... How much have you paid insurance companies and never got into an accident? did you ever get 1 penny back? I am not saying that defrauding them is right, but certainly don't be sticking up for them.....
    03-20-09 11:03 AM
    If you would have read the terms of your insurance claim you would know that the phone must be returned to Asurion if found. They own the original now, not you.
    03-20-09 11:37 AM
    I think you should call them and let them know you found the phone and return it.
    03-20-09 11:39 AM
    I would return it to Asurion.
    03-20-09 11:54 AM
    I love questions like this. You always have a few people who basically say it's ok if you want to keep and use the reported stolen phone or whatever the item is. Then you justify it by saying it is a payback for all the money the insurance companies make. It is correct to say it is a decision that the person has to make but it is not based on who it will hurt. It is based on what is legal and what isn't. Insurance fraud is just that no matter how you try and justify it.

Is it ok if I steal items from Walmart or any other store, look at all the money they are making?

Theft is theft is theft. You can couch it however you want to try and justify your actions but in the end you are still a thief or in this case committing insurance fraud which carries a penalty of either a fine or prison or both in most states.

And I would bet that in all states changing an ESN on a known stolen/reported stolen phone is illegal. That is the point in reporting them stolen so no one else can ever use them.

My two cents...ok maybe 3
    03-20-09 12:19 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD