When I got my Storm, Verizon transferred all of my contacts from my Chocolate to my Storm. Afterward I cleared all saved info from my Chocolate and threw it in the closet.

The first OS change I did I used just the DM and let it do all the work to 75. Due to issues with Lag and other things I decided to try 85.

So today I used JL_Cmder, then upgraded to 85, did the Back up Apps stuff as well. And I have lost all of my Contacts. Is their a possibility they may be hiding somewhere on my computer, Maybe my Old Chocolate where I can find them and put them back on my Storm?

Or am I SOL?

Mike
    01-10-09 06:11 PM
    Are you saying you don't back up your phone prior to installing a new OS? Tsk tsk!
    01-10-09 06:19 PM
    Did you back up your contacts prior to the OS installation? If not then...
    01-10-09 06:23 PM
    I thought I had Backed it up. This is my first BB so i am new to all of this.

Things I have tried. I went to DM and tried the Restore option but when I get to the next window it wants me to find a file to restore and theirs nothing in the window. I don't know where it may be saved on my PC if I have one.

I have also tried going to APP Loader and making sure the box is checked for BBM. It was checked.

So anyone have any ideas that I don't know about?

Mike
    01-10-09 06:25 PM
    Would they still be saved from the first time I did an OS Update without using JL_Cmder?

Mike
    01-10-09 06:25 PM
    Did you have backup assistant with the chocolate? Depending on how long the device has been off of the account you may be able to reactivate the chocolate and then download the contacts to the phone & then transfer the information back to the Storm. Then you should use BBDM to do a backup of your contact information and also, just my opinion, not upgrade to a software version that is not supported by anyone.
    01-10-09 06:26 PM
    Nope no backup assistant that I know about with the Chocolate. I'm assuming that would have ot be something I activated or set-up myself right?

Mike
    01-10-09 06:28 PM
    I think I found it, File named Loaderbackup(Dates).ipd in my documents file in my user settings. Recent changes search FTW I hope.

Mike
    01-10-09 06:38 PM
    Nope no backup assistant that I know about with the Chocolate. I'm assuming that would have ot be something I activated or set-up myself right?

Mike
    Yes, through Get It Now on the device. Pull out the Chocolate and go into Menu/Get It Now/Tools on the Go (Business Tools) if you have the application it will be listed under Get New. If not then it doesn't sound like you are going to be able to get that contact information back.
    01-10-09 06:39 PM
    Your backup file, if you perfomed one, would be in your Documents folder in Windows Explorer. It would read as Backup-(the date).ipd
    Good Luck!
    01-10-09 06:41 PM
    Yeah, I found it. Did the restore and everythings back the way i had it.

So every time I do an OS Upgrade am I going to have to do a restore right after? Or only if I use JL_Cmder?

Better Yet does the Restore put the phone back to the previous OS?

Mike
    01-10-09 06:48 PM
    If you do a master/hard reset on the phone you will need to restore your backup file and in some cases applications in application loader.
    01-10-09 06:56 PM
    The restore function is more for if your phone takes a dump after an OS install. I have done multiple backups, three OS updates, but no restores to this point. Glad you got it humming again!
    01-10-09 07:00 PM
    Glad its working again. Do you use outlook and keep your contacts there as well. Found its nice to have more than one way to retrieve. My .02 :-)

"The burnt hand teaches best"
    01-10-09 07:07 PM
    No, I don't have Outlook. I should look into that. I heard its a lot easier to Edit and what not in Outlook. Is that true?
    01-10-09 07:09 PM
    i did this too when i upgraded to .85 so I had to restore mine to .75 so what I did in case it happens again was I went to backup/restore in DM and backed up just my contacts in their own folder so that if they don't show up after an upgrade I can just restore them without having to completely restore the os.
    01-10-09 08:25 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD