I know you can lock the screen by pressing the button on the top left. My question is...when the screen is locked, is there a way to prevent the screen from turning back on with screen taps or clicks?

I have tested this using the emulator and when the screen is locked, you can wake up the device with screen taps. so this would lead me to think that the screen would basically be on the entire time the phone was in your pocket...since your leg or pants would be constantly tapping the screen.

I did not see anything in the settings to change this.

i am a bit concerned since i carry my phone in my pocket and not in a holster. with the screen on all day...the battery would go quick!!!!
    10-22-08 12:59 PM
    I'm sure to turn the screen on, it has to be one of the more forceful "clicks" rather then a slight breeze across the screen.
    10-22-08 01:02 PM
    it should have a standby mode like all the other blackberries have (press and hold the mute key). in this mode the screen does not turn on until standby mode is turned off.
    10-22-08 01:04 PM
    it should have a standby mode like all the other blackberries have (press and hold the mute key). in this mode the screen does not turn on until standby mode is turned off.
    Exactly. Don't even bother locking the screen. When you hold down the play/pause button, it puts the phone in standby which locks all the keys and screen AND saves battery. I dont even lock the keyboard on my Curve now, I just put it on standby!
    10-22-08 01:42 PM
    There's a lock button at the top edge of the device.
    10-22-08 02:06 PM
    I assume in standby mode you still receive calls, SMS, etc?

if so..that i what i was looking for!

thanks!
    10-22-08 02:15 PM
    There's a lock button at the top edge of the device.
    did you read the original post?
    10-22-08 02:16 PM
    I assume in standby mode you still receive calls, SMS, etc?

if so..that i what i was looking for!

thanks!
    Yes when in standby mode the only thing that will wake the phone up is pressing the mute/standby key again. If you press either the send or end key while it is in standby the screen will light up for a second but the phone will still be in standby.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-22-08 02:20 PM
    Yes when in standby mode the only thing that will wake the phone up is pressing the mute/standby key again. If you press either the send or end key while it is in standby the screen will light up for a second but the phone will still be in standby.

On the Curve nothing lights up at all.
    10-22-08 02:40 PM
    Cool deal then. Either way while in standby you can receive all of your messages and phone calls as usual.

10-22-08 02:47 PM
    Yes, in Standby mode all calls, emails, SMSs alarms, Calender appointments will wake up your phone.

It says this in the User Guide that came with your phone. Did you not read this?
    10-22-08 02:51 PM
    Yes, that standby is a beautiful thing...especially in a cluttered purse...actually, I just received a call while my phone is on standby!
    10-22-08 02:57 PM
    did you read the original post?
    Apperently not. lol

I was in a rush and just read the title and skimmed through the OP. Mah bad.
    10-22-08 09:29 PM
    this phone keeps getting better and better with these small awesome discoveries
    10-22-08 09:38 PM
    If you like Standby then you are gonna love AutoStandby.

This program puts your phone into Standby after a settable delay after the screen blanks out.

I use this program and it just takes care of the whole thing automatically as well saving battery life.
    10-23-08 05:35 AM
    When running 4.5 on the curve it does. It didnt use to on mine, but when i switched to 4.5 it does light up.
    10-23-08 07:05 AM
    When running 4.5 on the curve it does. It didnt use to on mine, but when i switched to 4.5 it does light up.
    I noticed that if you hit any of the 4 main keys -- answer, hang up, clear, menu key, the screen will light up and says hit mute to go out of standby. If you hit the qwerty keys though the screen will not light up.
    10-23-08 08:35 AM
    I noticed that if you hit any of the 4 main keys -- answer, hang up, clear, menu key, the screen will light up and says hit mute to go out of standby. If you hit the qwerty keys though the screen will not light up.
    Not on mine, but I have an 8830. And this is the first time I hear about this so thanks! However, since mine is controlled by corporate, it locks automatically within 30 mins, so standby is pretty much useless for me, but its great to show off
    10-23-08 08:42 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD