I recently dropped my phone and had a crack screen. While my phone was cracked I could still use the lock button. I recently replaced the screen and also replaced the top cover. Now the lock does not work, but my mute does. There was a sticker that looked like it ripped, running right below the ear piece, but it did not look like a ribbon. The lock button and ribbon attached still look intact. Any ideas? If it is broke where can I get a new lock button and ribbon? Also if I order a new front bezel, like the black one, do those come with the buttons, mute and lock, and ear piece?
    05-12-09 10:00 AM
    Yikes. How long have you had your phone? I assume you don't have the $4.99 pe rmonth insureance?
    05-12-09 10:18 AM
    I got it the day it came out. The 4.99 a month is a ripoff. After 2 years you would pay $120. It cost me $99 with free shipping for a new screen. And i did it myself. It isn't hard. I just made a rookie mistake with the top cover. Does anyone have any ideas??????????
    05-12-09 10:22 AM
    Hm .. now that your phone is broke, $60/year it doesn't seem like such a rip off eh?
    05-12-09 10:52 AM
    Ya it does. I can deal without the lock button, I got the Storm slide lock, with the satisfaction that I did not give it to Verizon. The $70-$100 a month is more a ripoff. I refuse to give them another dime.
    05-12-09 11:07 AM
    Good luck! I broke that cable on both my Storms and have searched high and low for the parts to repair. Eventually I think they'll be available, but for now I think we're out of luck. I just set up StormSlider on the left convenience key.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-12-09 11:54 AM
    I got it the day it came out. The 4.99 a month is a ripoff. After 2 years you would pay $120. It cost me $99 with free shipping for a new screen. And i did it myself. It isn't hard. I just made a rookie mistake with the top cover. Does anyone have any ideas??????????
    Just curious, where did you find a replacement screen from? And is it just the glass-like piece, or does it come with part of the front cover?
    Just asking out of curiousity...I've never had to do it before, but a cracked screen is my worst nightmare! It keeps me up at night, lol.
    05-12-09 11:58 AM
    Ya it does. I can deal without the lock button, I got the Storm slide lock, with the satisfaction that I did not give it to Verizon. The $70-$100 a month is more a ripoff. I refuse to give them another dime.
    Well it's a good thing the money would go towards Asurion, not Verizon, eh?
    05-12-09 12:06 PM
    I got it from gsm4world.us. Its based out of Canada, but the warehouse is out of Hong Kong. It takes like a week to a week and a half, but it is the cheapest around. And your buying it out of country so no tax and the first shipment i believe is free, at least for me anyways. And for the screen it comes with the whole LCD, but not the metal casing behind it.

There has to be something available to fix the lock. Unless there is an Lock app out there that is comparable. I use the Storm slide too but it does not give you any status, of battery, signal, missed calls or txt, etc.

Oh ya and for the 2 weeks that I had a cracked screen I could kinda could only use the bottom left corner of the screen, but other than that it was all voice command, so I recommend keeping the side button the voice command just in case it happens to you. But I have also dropped it a millions times before that with only a few scratches, I just happened to drop it face down in my drive one late night after the Celtics Game 5 against the Bulls. So alcohol did play apart in this, or pretty much any time I drop my phone.
    05-12-09 12:28 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD