I've had my storm a few days. Overall happy with it. Tell me what is acceptable in tems of light leaks behind the screen. If VZN is being easy on swaps for the next few weeks, should I get my changed out?

I can see light coming out of the bottom, mostly on the left side. My only concern is that this will lead to dust behind the screen

Dan and Dallas...
    01-02-09 11:11 PM
    depending on what angle you look at it, all sides of the screen (since there is a gap, which is there for the screen to "wobble" on the button for the click")

thats normal. anything else i would say isnt. some people have reported in between thier physical buttons, i do not have this.

no matter what, you will always have the gaps around the screen since RIM didnt put a gasket around it. Depending on the seal of the screen, whether its good or not, will determine whether or not dust gets in. i have no dust after a few weeks of having the phone. i put it in my pocket and such and no dust.
    01-02-09 11:19 PM
    I'd take it to a VZW "Corporate" store and see what they say. If the person you talk to seems 'disinterested' in helping you, ask to talk with their manager. There's almost no light leaks around my screen (and I got one of the first ones in my major metro area)...
    01-02-09 11:21 PM
    my new phone has the same issue, it is pretty annoying the other 3 storms didn't have that problem if it wasn't freezing up I would try to live with it but it still bothers me, if it bothers you get it replaced and you will not have that problem on the next one your recieve, why settle 2 yr contract you should get the best
    01-02-09 11:22 PM
    My first Storm had light leaks all the way around the screen, and it got dust in the screen a week later. VZ sent me another new one, and this one has no light leakage between the screens at all. ZERO. Also, some people claim to have light leaks between the screens right above the buttons, but it's not really a light leak. It's the light from the buttons shining vertically through the glass. Kind of like how fiber optic lighting works. If you have this, don't worry. If you have a ton of light leaking between the screens, you WILL have dust issues.

This is what my first Storm looked like on the top, left and right of the screen. This is BETWEEN THE LAYERS OF THE SCREEN, and NOT light shining out of the gaps in the screen:
    Last edited by Jaysus Cutler6; 01-03-09 at 12:02 AM.
    01-02-09 11:59 PM
    Also, some people claim to have light leaks between the screens right above the buttons, but it's not really a light leak.
    I beg to differ (btw, I'll be getting my second replacement on Monday).

01-03-09 12:18 AM
    That has nothing to do with the screen, and wasn't what I was referring to so sorry for the confusion. Your pic shows light coming from the buttons, which is normal since the tops aren't really sealed. I'm talking about where the screen begins above the buttons. Some can see light coming out directly where the light shines out of the buttons. All it is in that case is the light from the buttons illuminating the edge of the glass.
    01-03-09 12:30 AM
    Seriously getting replacement phones for light leaks?
    ALL of them leak light... (Storms)
    01-03-09 12:42 AM
    The light leaks most of us are referring to are leaks BETWEEN the LCD and the outer screen. This is due to a faulty seal, and thus allows dust and other debris to accumulate on the screen. The light around the gaps in the screen is normal. The picture I posted is not, and is a perfect example of a faulty screen seal.
    01-03-09 12:55 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD