What will I notice as the biggest difference between the 2 devices? When I say lifelong Palm, I mean I went through half a dozen devices over 10 yrs with the line & loved each one. I am typing on my treo 750 right now. So, bb is a little scary.

Software wise, is there a huge difference syncing up the calendar, etc? Browsing-wise?

Any particular secrets/tricks I need to know to make this an easier transition? im not sure if this is the device for me because I am such a heavy user that I wear through keys but I am going to try it out.

thanks. be well.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-25-09 08:49 PM
    Welcome to crackberry! Here's a good thread for newbies...

http://forums.crackberry.com/f3/blac...lecture+series
    02-25-09 08:50 PM
    thank you. ill check it out. sorry I missed it before. I've been trying to read around a little tonight. be well.

02-25-09 08:54 PM
    I came from the XV6700 and XV6800 with hardware keyboard, and my first concern was the on-screen keyboard. But after using the Storm for about a week, I got used to the blue light and the click. Now I can type relatively fast.

The Storm is a great device. The browser is so much better than IE Mobile. And nobody does email better than BB.

I don't use the calendar on the device. Instead, I manage all my appointments and events on Google Calendar. In that way, I don't have to worry about syncing. I can view my calendar on my laptops and on my Storm.

As far as tips and tricks, I suggest visiting CB on a regular basis and read as much threads as you can. This web site helped me a lot since this is my very first BB. But with the help of the people here, I learned a lot about the Storm in just a couple weeks.

Hope this helps.

02-25-09 09:00 PM
    What will I notice as the biggest difference between the 2 devices? When I say lifelong Palm, I mean I went through half a dozen devices over 10 yrs with the line & loved each one. I am typing on my treo 750 right now. So, bb is a little scary.

Software wise, is there a huge difference syncing up the calendar, etc? Browsing-wise?

Any particular secrets/tricks I need to know to make this an easier transition? im not sure if this is the device for me because I am such a heavy user that I wear through keys but I am going to try it out.

thanks. be well.

The most important thing to remember is give yourself at least 2 weeks to get used to typing...lol. Trust me mine almost went through the window several t
    imes in the first couple of weeks! I agree visit crackberry daily!
    02-25-09 09:05 PM
    I would have to say give your auto text time to learn about you. And add words that you use that the auto text doesn't use. Easy to do just look for the word underlined press on the word and pick add to dictionary.

02-25-09 10:21 PM
    Welcome to the fold. While I can't say I've ever used a Palm, I can say this is the best darn phone I've ever owned. Even with the OS issues, although those too are going away!
    02-25-09 10:30 PM
    One of the main reasons I bought the Storm was to lose the the Treo. I got tired of carrying a phone and a Palm. My last Palm was a dog from day one, so I was very happy to load up my contacts and crazy number of appointments on the Storm's calendar. I haven't looked back and my purse is lighter and has more room in it. That's important
    02-25-09 10:44 PM
    Agree with previous posters. Don't think I'll ever type as fast on my Storm that's the only thing the Treo did better.

02-25-09 11:24 PM
    I was a treo user for almost 2 years. You get use to it. Just keep in mind almost everything on the phone can be customized- and with that can cause some headaches- Believe it or not- Im so use to my Storm now- I think i type faster on it- with a little less accuracy.

Just give a good "college try" and you will fall in love with it.

You do have to break your tie with the treo- so you can allow yourself some breathing room.

This board is FULL of info.

Beware though- this site will advance you so far and fast that others will come to you for blackberry advice.

Welcome! and good luck
    02-25-09 11:31 PM
    i went from a Treo to a BB Pearl. after i got used to using the BB devise i def liked it over the Palm. it had Windows mobile, hated it.

you just have to get used to using the Storm, give it some time, you will like it.
    02-25-09 11:36 PM
    your in the similar boat as I was a month ago...

755p to the storm.. (before the 755, there was the 700, 650, 600, kyocera 7135 and 6100)...

So it was a a HUGE decision for me to drop Palm, I had a ton invested in it...

For me, the keyboard was better, but I needed a touch screen.. I would actually prefer a "full" thumbsize keyboard + a touchscreen like a treo.. but only a bberry... but Im in love with my storm.. except...

EMAIL...

BlackBerrys need GOOD native imap support... We dont even have OK support.. Only supporting the Root Folder? WTF?

I got spoiled by chattermail, it just worked better... I had to install a BES server on my exchange server, just so I could get sub folders...

And of course.. there really is no easy way to see the subfolders, they just all show up in my messages...

I miss my solitare... and a good sudoku, but Im waiting for a "native storm" version of those before I buy..
    02-26-09 01:11 AM
    Well... it's going to be a major adjustment. As long as your willing to take the time and patience, you'll end up loving it. I've worked with palms before and personally prefer the blackberry over it any day. I will admit things though not everything is as user friendly. It will take some tinkering around, but once you get the hang of it, it's so worth it.
    02-26-09 01:19 AM
    I agree with Ravr. I was a devout T3 user for years. The thing I miss most is being able to precisely poke where I wanted to write and then one hand it withthe stylus. The fact that my screen had become progressively less responsive (despite numerous fixes) made it easier to switch. The Storm can do SO much more than the T3 and once you get used to the quirks and the less-intiutive nature, there is little to miss.
    02-26-09 03:43 AM
    I have been a long time Palm user as well. I went through each Treo as they upgraded. I bought the Storm when it first came out at full price (because I was not due for an upgrade) and returned it within a week; I just couldn't make the adjustment. Then a friend got the Storm and said I just didn't give it enough time. So, I got the Storm again, however, I added a line to my Verizon, got the discounted price for the Storm with a 2 year contract. This way I can still keep my Treo and play with the Storm and get used to it before I transfer my Treo number to the Storm.
    The Treo, Verizon to Verizon, allows up to 500 characters for SMS messaging, which was nice, rather than 160 only for the Storm. I like the chat log on the Treo as well. I�m getting used to the Sure type and the keyboard now. The Storm has a lot of great features and is an awesome business tool. I�m getting used to using Outlook now vs. the Palm Desktop software for my laptop. In the calendar app I can�t figure out how to shade the entire appointment on the Storm device like it is on the Outlook screen. The devise only shows an hour shaded and there is a bar to the left of the appointment showing the start time and end time of the appointment.
    Sound management is easier on the Storm and you can use mp3�s as ring tones vs. midi files on the Treo, which is nicer. I was disappointed that I could not watch YouTube clips or other videos from other sites. However, YouTube has a mini version (http:/m.youtube.com). Also, I can�t figure out the Browser app so well. On the Treo, when you went to another App the Browser page stopped. If I change Apps on the Storm and go back to the Browser, my previous web page is still loaded and I am actually still signed into it, if I was on a web site like for banking. How do you sign out or end a web page?
    On the Treo the Memo App was better and you could password protect or hide it. The Outlook App has a similar program called Notes, but I can�t see how to hide or protect them? I keep account and policy numbers on this app, which I would like to protect better.
    The sync, music (playlist set up is easier than Pocket Tunes) and picture features are great on the Storm. I miss some Palm Apps, such as Pocket Quicken and June Fabric�s PDA Net and PDA Reach. Verizon has a tether application, which I downloaded but have not used it yet.
    So, with time and by September when my contract ends with the Treo, I should be a full convert!
    02-26-09 07:53 AM
    I, like you, come from the Palm background. I even started a thread about it that you should check out:

http://forums.crackberry.com/f86/all...splants-157172

The thing I miss most about the Treo is the copy and paste ability for text. The Palm calendar is also much quicker and easier to work with (mainly because there is a quick button for it).

The webbrowsing on the Palm can't compare to the Storm though... and push email is unbeatable.
    Last edited by itznin; 02-26-09 at 08:13 AM.
    02-26-09 08:01 AM
    Oh a few other thoughts I forgot. The Storm's voice dialing is great and it pairs very well with my bluetooth head set and Plantronics makes an awesome bluetooth stereo headset for misc/calls. Treo has more speed dial slots and management of those speed dials are easier, such as adding in pauses and prompts for accessing voice mails. I have AOL and getting emails without having to push on the Treo is nice as well. I will probably come up with more as time goes on.......
    02-26-09 08:12 AM
    thank you guys again. very helpful. fedex says it is on the truck, on its way.

I feel like a traitor leaving palm. ha. I've been through so many palm os's and then finally windows mobile and windows mobile 6 and I never thought I would be nervous about learning new tech but something about bb's has always seemed intimidating.

I look forward to playing with it. I figure if it can't handle my workload I can just keep getting refurbs with the insurance so no big loss there.

I admit im most nervous about the calendar...my fave elec cal is older palm calendars...esp tx's version. I love the main access schedule screen. windows mobile calendar was easy but not as attractive.

in my business I have to keep paper & elec cals & combine them nightly so im used to palm desktop & outlook... not an issue using just outlook but might try google calendar as suggested just to see what's up...

ill keep you guys posted & keep reading. thanks again & hope you are all well.

02-26-09 10:42 AM
    looks like ill be waiting one more day.

after rearranging everything to be here for fedex dude... he didn't even knock on door/ring doorbell.

I sat there...teevee off... by the door for 6 hrs just working in the living room. only got up to potty 2x.

I thought I heard footsteps...got up to check & found the sticky on the door.

I would assume I was crazy and I just didn't hear him knock but the dog never moved a muscle... neither did the cats... & all of them always run to the door...always...

wtf? why would they just leave a sticky without knocking? what's the point?

02-26-09 03:08 PM
    looks like ill be waiting one more day.

after rearranging everything to be here for fedex dude... he didn't even knock on door/ring doorbell.

I sat there...teevee off... by the door for 6 hrs just working in the living room. only got up to potty 2x.

I thought I heard footsteps...got up to check & found the sticky on the door.

I would assume I was crazy and I just didn't hear him knock but the dog never moved a muscle... neither did the cats... & all of them always run to the door...always...

wtf? why would they just leave a sticky without knocking? what's the point?

Sounds like a typical ploy from the Palm syndicate to rob you of the joy of unwrap ping your new baby! Crap I have probably said too much.

02-26-09 06:02 PM
    As indicated before, I am still using my Treo 755P until I get the hang of the Storm. Well, I'm really liking the Storm and may just switch my main phone number to it sooner then I thought. The Garmin and the Vlingo App's are really awesome. The Music app is great too.
    02-28-09 03:39 PM
    Personally, I found the native BB Task app to be the single greatest hurdle. It's extremely limited (and I'm being very polite here). Also the rest of the PIM apps (calendar, etc.) don't really work well for someone used to a touch screen. Then I purchased Pocket Informant 1.50 - full PIM (Tasks, Contacts, Calendar items, etc.) - and it's made all the difference. Very powerful, flexible, and far superior user interface to any of the other 12 I looked at and/or tested. If you find the native BB PIM apps challenging, check out Pocket Informant.

Another thing I find is that the Outlook/BB sync is way clunkier and slower than the Outlook/Palm sync. In the grand scheme of things it's not really a big deal (less than 2 minutes) but it feels like one. Once I get a cradle that supports sync as well as charging this complaint may go away.

The final one is that the BB notifications (appointment alarms, etc.) only last 15 minutes. Then they disappear. That drove me nuts - if I'm getting ready for work in the morning I can easily be away from my BB for longer than 15 min. So I installed Blackberry Alerts, which keeps the notifications going until you touch the screen or keyboard. I'm using a Storm so the sound alerts don't work, but the coloured LED notifications work just fine. I have mine set to flash red for missed calls, orange for missed, SMS, purple for missed emails, yellow for missed reminders, etc.

I would strongly suggest tweaking the defauly keyboard settings - I have mine set to Tap Interval = 150, Hover Period = 100, Swipe Sensitivity = (High) 6, and Key Rate = Fast via Options > Screen/Keyboard. You can change these as you get used to the keyboard.

Overall I found the adjustment quite traumatic, but it's wonderful to have everything in one device. And a lot of my trauma was because I am using a brand new device and a lot of the software BB users have access to that would have helped has taken a while to be Stormed.

Starting to love my Storm now!

- R.
    02-28-09 04:25 PM
    I could never imagine having to use winmo on a regular basis. My dad has some sort of HTC device and I've used it a couple times, its so difficult to navigate

02-28-09 04:29 PM
    thanks again for all of the tips. especially calendar. I've had some time to play the last 24 hrs, thought not as much as id like. and my main concern is battery...

im an 18 hr day kind of gal & this seems to be a 6 hr, max, battery with heavy use... the treo was ugly... but the battery was a hoss for sure...

mayeb as I tweak settings I can fix the batt issues...

thanks for the cla info too... im not impressed with it so far & haven't even yet synced it up to my laptop.... not really had sit down time until later this week...

hope you are well

02-28-09 04:32 PM
    What OS are you running on your storm?

02-28-09 04:34 PM
32 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD