Got my Storm about 2 months after the release. I'm one of the lucky ones who never had a reason to request a replacement. Only issue I had was the screen click problem and I fixed that with the torx screw fix.

And that's it. No lint under the screen, no nothing.

Having said that, I'm eyeing the new Tour. One of the main reasons is that I have never really got the typing thing down on the Storm. I'm just not liking the touch screen for typing at all. And my Storm is pretty much my exclusive email rig. I haven't used my computer to send an email in I don't know how long.

Just wondering what other's thoughts are. If you were in my shoes, would you upgrade to the Tour if you had the means?

The only downside I'm seeing to the Tour is the smaller screen.

Help me decide!
    07-15-09 12:41 PM
    i love my storm and i dont know how i could ever go back to a normal touch screen without the click or a trackball. but the touch screen is something that you have to either like or dislike. if the clicking is not for you thats fine. if your not a fan of the touch screen keyboard on the storm then the tour would prob be your best solution because its got the same kinda software as the storm.
    07-15-09 12:45 PM
    I think it's all based on your own opinion, so it's tough to ask others. There will be people who reply who are die-hard Storm-ers, and then plenty of people who switched from Storm to Tour because they hated the Storm.

If I were in your shoes (and I'm technically not because I love my Storm, and love typing on it), I would get a Tour. I only say this because you admit to preferring a physical keyboard (or at least not liking the Storm's on-screen keyboard), and if you can live with the smaller screen, you're probably not missing much. Most of the Tour owners seem happy, and if you're willing to make the switch and unhappy with your current device, of course you should go.

But that's just my two cents.
    07-15-09 12:55 PM
    If you've been on the Storm for a few months, I'd get my hands on a BB with a keyboard and try it out for a day or so, to get an idea what the transition would be like.

I had a 8830 for 2 years before I picked up my Storm and I've had it almost 6 months. This weekend my GF picked up a curve, and after spending all day setting up everything for her I realized I wouldn't move to the Tour, I'm so attached to the idea of being able to interact with the device using the touch screen that I'd even find myself pushing the screen for menu selections.
    07-15-09 01:18 PM
    I click the screen on my brothers curve everytime he asks me to look at it then I throw an expletive out there cuz it doesnt work. But I believe you need to get what makes you the happiest and if you cant/dont like typing on the storm then for sure try a tour out(in the store or otherwise) and make your decision based on your feelings.
    07-15-09 01:40 PM
    I'm in a similar boat as the OP. I really miss having a physical keyboard, but I like interacting with the screen to make selections. So much faster to just click on an icon instead of scrolling through a list.

But then again, aren't there shortcuts for the hardware QWERTY BBs?
    07-15-09 01:49 PM
    I love my Storm and could never size down to the smaller screen. I also have no problems typing on it...but it's not for everyone. If you've never warmed up to it and the cost of changing phones isn't crippling, then change. Get what you want.
    07-15-09 02:10 PM
    Do you generally type in landscape or portrait? I very rarely type in portrait because I love the big qwerty keyboard. I also love how quickly I can move between applications and selections on the Storm.

FWIW I am getting a Tour as my company phone (I can't have a camera) and I'm sure it will be a fine device, but I am not big on navigating with the trackball anymore... it feels slow and inefficient to me.

For your case, you may want to try out a Tour in store to see if the keyboard suits you better. If that is the biggest driver, then I think your choice is pretty obvious.
    07-15-09 02:25 PM
    I love the storm i can't go back to small screens and qwerty keyboard and track balls that get stuck.
    07-15-09 02:32 PM
    I ended up making the switch.

Loved the Storm, the landscape keyboard was pretty fast (especially after upgrading to .151).

Having said that, typing on the Tour keyboard is still way faster for me.

The only thing I miss about the Storm is the speed of navigating menus by touch. If I could have a touchscreen with a physical keyboard, I'd be set.
    07-15-09 02:52 PM
    I ended up making the switch.

Loved the Storm, the landscape keyboard was pretty fast (especially after upgrading to .151).

Having said that, typing on the Tour keyboard is still way faster for me.

The only thing I miss about the Storm is the speed of navigating menus by touch. If I could have a touchscreen with a physical keyboard, I'd be set.
    Sounds like you want a Pre
    07-15-09 03:22 PM
    Well I'm also one of the lucky ones that has never had any problems with my Storm and I got it on launch date 11/21/08. Fortunately, I have the original her name is "Cookie" (ok that was a little weird) anyway...

I got used to the typing and I luv it especially the autotext but thats just my opinion. Here's what I've learned:
    + Tour
    1. Battery life is better on the Tour
    2. A little less buggy for most users than the Storm
    3. Lighter and smaller
    4. Lightning fast

-Cons
    1. Flimsy/cheap batt door which swims in the palm
    2. Extremely slow startup on reboot
    3. Some users are leery of trackballs
    4. No others that I know of just wanted to fill the #4 slot.
    07-15-09 04:45 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD