Just a question about the legacy apps (pre-4.7 OS). When I run them on the Storm they throw up a stupid keyboard. Some apps are useful without the keyboard. I am wondering why I can't hide the keyboard? Is there a trick?

A good example is Public Checkers from rim. I don't need the keyboard. Is it an aspect ratio thing as to why they require the keyboard?

The only other problem is the apps don't work in landscape. But I understand why that won't work (as developers never envisioned a screen pixel shift)...

The keyboard thing is annoying. Any thoughts?
    11-23-08 06:18 PM
    It's called compatibility mode...
    11-23-08 06:28 PM
    Ummm I understand that. My question was is there a way to remove the keyboard?
    11-23-08 06:29 PM
    nope. Its fitting on the screen by pretending there is a keyboard there... you cant get rid of your keyboard on the old models can you!

haha, annoying sometimes i'm sure, but thats how they make old programs work
    11-23-08 06:31 PM
    My problem is that in games in some cases you don't even need a keyboard. I wonder how hard it is for developers to update their apps. Is it a simple recompile and then tweak their UI code... Ok never mind I am a Software Engineer. I doubt it's that easy... Lol
    11-23-08 06:33 PM
    Benji-nl I wish you would have been more descriptive. Oh well. I stumbled across this setting as I was installing apps. Here we go:

If you want to get a legacy application off of "Compatibility mode"(where the keyboard always shows, and the accelerometer does not function), do this simple change.

1) Options->Advanced Options->Applications

2) Highlight the offending application eg. Flycast

3) Blackberry key... Select "Disable Compatibility Mode"

That's it! Some applications work ok. Like Zip explorer and Flycast. Others just don't work. So, with trial and error you can make some of your legacy apps suck less!
    11-23-08 10:17 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD