I think in the McDonalds case, it was the girls fault because she caused the coffee to spill. She was supposed to know it was hot, because she ordered a hot coffee.

But in the itouch case, it was an innocent bystander. Unless he did something that triggered the fire then it would be his fault as well if it was an obvious function of the itouch. Like he was pressing it too fast and then it broke the screen, and since you can't remove the battery it triggered a small fire. I don't know. But if it just caught on fire randomly, I would say it's itouch's fire.

Oh and btw, EFF YOU TheThurgodMarshl. Thanks.
    You should read up on that case. The woman in question was an older lady who spilled the coffee in her genital area. The coffee was served at about 20 some odd degrees above what it should have been, as to ensure for those whiners that have to have scalding coffee by the time they get to work that the coffee is still hot. And besides that, she initially asked for medical damages for what had happened, somewhere in the neighborhood of UNDER $20K. When McDonald's refused numerous times, then the lawsuit came. And the actual amount was well below the millions everyone says.

McFacts abut the McDonalds Coffee Lawsuit

Life and Deatherage: The famous "hot coffee lawsuit" myth

McDonalds Hot Coffee Lawsuit and Beyond: The Tort Reform Myth Machine
    03-14-09 01:57 PM
    I know everyone has a right to their own opinion but honestly that statement is messed up!!!!!!!!! Joking or not

I take offense being Chinese its such an idiotic thing to say. This thread was about a poor kid who got burned for having his ipod touch in his pocket. Stick to the subject matter!
    Don't worry it'll get edited soon enough by the board nazis
    03-14-09 02:13 PM
    "and melted through his Nylon/Spandex underwear"

Oh, this kid is going to get ripped on in school for a long, long time.
    03-14-09 02:22 PM
    i really want this to work
    03-14-09 02:34 PM
    Exploding/burning power supplies are not a new issue. Microsoft had to recall/refurb more than a few 1st gen XBoxes. I will be blown away if Apple takes this to court unless they find without a doubt that this was caused by tampering. Since the phone is probably too damaged to perform any reasonable forensics on, I would bet dollars to dimes that Apple will settle, launch an expensive and thorough testing program and, if a pervasive problem emerges, recall the affected devices. It's a civil case, and the boy doesn't have to prove this is Apple's fault.

minigts, thanks for the McDonalds coffee links. I cringe every time somebody refers to full depth burns as a "frivolous claim."
    03-14-09 02:50 PM
30 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD