Has anyone heard if Verizon is going to release a fix for the dimming bug that happens in landscape mode with .328? It's driving me mad!!!

Thank you in advance!
    10-29-09 09:32 PM
    whats this dimming that everyone is talking about because i havent noticed it....

care to explain exactly what its doing...
    10-29-09 10:54 PM
    no, it wont happen like that. You would have to get a whole new OS release
    10-29-09 11:03 PM
    For many users, the screen goes into its dimmest display when you turn it from portrait to landscape. For me, it stays dim much of the time even in portrait, after starting out bright. This dimming problem, for the people who have it, is immune to changes in the setting of screen brightness options (i.e. turning autodim off).
    10-29-09 11:04 PM
    Ha! This is what I love a out this site. I didn't even noticed the dimming issue until this thread. I rotated from landscape to portrait 3x and on the third it DID NOT dim in landscape. Hope it works for you too.
    Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com

10-30-09 07:02 AM
    Mine stays dim all the time unless its facing direct sunlight. Every once in a while ill get a bright screen. Is that normal

10-30-09 07:12 AM
    Anyone else have any suggestions.

10-30-09 09:25 AM
    see im not getting any of that... my screen stays bright all the time and never dims ever even in the dark.

i have my brighness at 100%
    automatically dim backlight is OFF.
    10-30-09 09:46 AM
    Which is correct. Should it change or stay bright.

10-30-09 10:06 AM
    oddly enough I was having the dimming issue until I set my automatically dim backlight setting to on. Not sure why this worked for me. now it will dim in portrait and landscape but no more than ~80% backlight brightness. no more dimming to the point that its so dark I have to rotate it to portrait then back. Been roughly 4 days and still no dimming!!
    10-30-09 10:07 AM
    How should the dim feature act?

10-30-09 10:52 AM
    oddly enough I was having the dimming issue until I set my automatically dim backlight setting to on. Not sure why this worked for me. now it will dim in portrait and landscape but no more than ~80% backlight brightness. no more dimming to the point that its so dark I have to rotate it to portrait then back. Been roughly 4 days and still no dimming!!
    If Broken is correct could it be that the code is just written backwards? Off is on and on is off?
    10-30-09 02:47 PM
    If Broken is correct could it be that the code is just written backwards? Off is on and on is off?
    Nah.. tried it. When i have my autodim turned on it automatically goes dim and stays dim in both portrait and landscape until I turn it back off.
    10-30-09 02:58 PM
    Found on BB website!!!

Doc ID: KB19984
    Modified Date: 10-29-2009
    Document Type: Support

Products
    BlackBerry� Storm� 9500 Series

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Environment
    Issue Number: 347574

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Overview
    When the display of a BlackBerry Storm Series smartphone dims it will stay dimmed even when the SurePress� keyboard is used to try and 'wake' it.

Cause
    This issue is caused due to a defect in BlackBerry� Device Software version 5.0 as noted by the issue number above.

Resolution
    This issue has been escalated to our development team. No current time frame for resolution is available.

Workaround
    To workaround this issue press the Power button twice on the BlackBerry smartphone.
    10-30-09 09:38 PM
    Nice find and good luck getting that update actually pushed out anytime soon
    10-30-09 10:00 PM
    I tried settings in the clock and screen/keyboard and elsewhere, and nothing worked. This bug drove me crazy. Then, this morning I found something else to try, and I haven't had the dimming since. I don't know if the fix works by itself, or needs to be done in combination with other settings, but here's what I changed that I haven't seen elsewhere...

1) Click the Media icon

2) Click BB button

3) Select Options

4) Set "Turn Off Auto Backlighting:" to NO.

That's it!
    12-01-09 07:19 PM
    I tried settings in the clock and screen/keyboard and elsewhere, and nothing worked. This bug drove me crazy. Then, this morning I found something else to try, and I haven't had the dimming since. I don't know if the fix works by itself, or needs to be done in combination with other settings, but here's what I changed that I haven't seen elsewhere...

1) Click the Media icon

2) Click BB button

3) Select Options

4) Set "Turn Off Auto Backlighting:" to NO.

That's it!
    Seems to have worked for me to! Now to see for how long. Edit: started again as soon as I let it go dim.

Last edited by puffnstuff; 12-01-09 at 07:36 PM.
    12-01-09 07:30 PM
    Yeah. It worked for me for several hours and then, sadly, failed again.
    12-02-09 01:50 PM
    I was having the same problem until I changed the format of my home screen to 4x4 - now I don't get the dimming when I turn from portrait to landscape. I have auto dim set to on.

On a related matter, I found a fix for the corrupt keypad issue when using the phone - the dialpad turns to a bizarre configuration while you're on a call. In options, set the keypad to 'suretype'. when the suretype keypad appears, use the option selection on the popup menu to set it back to normal. I did this and the dialpad has been fine ever since. Lots of bugs in this device!
    01-18-10 11:55 AM
    Don't know if anyone else has found this to be the case, but Verizon tech support appears to have no clue as to what to do when presented with a problem with the Blackberry Storm 2. I've had several conversations with them about a few 'features' and they all result in the recommendation that I erase the device and reinstall the operating system . Of course, it's the same operating system that's already on the device. I've actually found this forum to be far more helpful, and have actually figured out some fixes to the 'features' on my own.
    01-18-10 12:00 PM
    Update to .419. I've been on .419 for a couple of weeks now and the dimming issue is a thing of the past.
    01-18-10 05:52 PM
    OK this is going to sound stupid, but I was having the issue to where the screen was brighter in portrait then landscape, so I went in and turned the automatic brightness to off and it dimed it either way, so then I went in and changed it right back to auto and now it is bright either way, really strange.
    But it works now so all good BTW thats with the 5.0.0.328 os
    11-06-11 06:41 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD