Are you joking?

Deal Breakers:
    - SERVICE PROVIDER
    - Cut & Paste
    - Picture Messages
    - Video recording
    - Wi-Fi

In that order. WiFi is the last thing anybody should worry about on a phone. Go enjoy your IPhone and it's WiFi. Just have fun when there is no wireless connection. HAHA.
    12-11-08 07:12 PM
    the argument that verizon wireless cripples smart phones is hilarious. this device is on multiple networks and lacks wifi on all of them. but devices like the omnia and the htc pro has wifi. RIM decided not to put it in the phone for good reason.

get over it.
    12-11-08 07:20 PM
    this is one of the more ridiculous posts ive seen

the storm should have wifi and i will never change my mind

i was at a holiday party at a bar in cleveland and once i walked in i saw my bars go to SOS and then no service and then sim card error, i had no service at all.... meanwhile i saw my friends iphone picking up an open wifi signal that they had at the establishment.

and dont say "then get an iphone" because thats a ridiculous argument too. i just want a full featured phone

lmao

your argument is ridiculous.....what BB has verizon ever launched that had wi fi on it? and do you think VZW builds these devices as well. The Storm doesnt have wi fi, no BB on VZW netwrok ever did and hopefulyl never will. Because it is not necessary, and with our growing evdo coverage and our move to LTE in the next year or so, it will become less and less necessary.

If you are paying for data, shouldnt you get what you are paying for? Our should u be required to travel to a wi fi zone , buy something from the place offering "free wifi with a purchase " and then be able to connect. I think not.
    12-11-08 07:42 PM
    It's fact that posts like yours are moronic.

1. you cite no verifiable facts about RIM/VZW deciding anything. You just post more rumors and declare it as fact.

2. and about the msm7600... wtf? It's a chipset. Saying it's wifi capable is like saying the intel chipset on your computer is wifi capable, or the nvidia chipset on your laptop is wifi capable. In order to "have" wifi, you also need the radio and antenna.

But that's fine. Go back to your dark little hole and believe what you want.

ouch .....i feel the burn from here.
    12-11-08 07:44 PM
    VZ makes no money on wifi minutes but does on air time minutes, do the math.
    12-11-08 07:49 PM
    I had a xv6800 which has wifi used it for 3 weeks realized the 3g was faster and stopped using it....to me wi-fi is no big deal at all, but I guess for those that live in rural areas or in the middle of nowhere it may be an issue????
    12-11-08 07:54 PM
    Interesting. I looked at the diagram of the chipset because a previous poster stated that your would need an antenna/radio. The diagram depicts the 802.11 (wifi) support through the sdio(aka the micro sd card slot). I was not aware that you could get wi fi through a small card like this.

There is a company that makes one. SPECTEC. .

I do not know if it would be compatible with the storm, but if it was it would be a great way for people to have wifi.
    Last edited by slav22; 12-11-08 at 11:26 PM.
    12-11-08 11:00 PM
    Well i just got back from overseas... and damned if i say it... i could have used WiFi a few times... I didn't use verizons gsm or international data plan as it's a US number... and i don't want any contacts calling america to get me a block away, as most europeans have to pay an arm and a leg for long distance.. I disabled the 2g/3g and made the phone 2g only and battery life doubled. didn't know it worked so hard for the 3g!!

I used a friends ipod Touch to look up a number... would this "World" phone be better with WiFi.. YES..did i live without it... yes.. Should have had WiFi.. but it doesn't.. so just another small gadget i have to lug around.

no wifi... and no gps program with localized maps.. all are 3g network based..
    Last edited by destro23; 12-11-08 at 11:27 PM.
    12-11-08 11:24 PM
    Interesting. I looked at the diagram of the chipset because a previous poster stated that your would need an antenna/radio. The diagram depicts the 802.11 (wifi) support through the sdio(aka the micro sd card slot). I was not aware that you could get wi fi through a small card like this.

There is a company that makes one. SPECTEC. i believe they run about 70 bucks.

I do not know if it would be compatible with the storm, but if it was it would be a great way for people to have wifi.
    Only regular SD or Mini Sd...no Micro SD. Neat idea though and maybe they will have a micro SD card Wi-Fi eventually. Personally, I think Wi-Fi is the pits. I can't even find reliable Wi-Fi (free or paid) with my laptop, so why would I want to drive myself to insanity trying to find it with the phone when I know I can get a data connection with Verizon with over 99% reliability? Home doesn't count as then there's not much point in using the phone for internet access. We have an iPhone too and the whole Wi-Fi thing has been a joke with that too...never can find a signal. We used to use it once in awhile to download apps to it using a local free Wi-Fi from the coffee shop next door, but that network has become so flakey it's pointless to even try. It hasn't worked at all in at least a week!
    12-11-08 11:25 PM

There is a company that makes one. SPECTEC. i believe they run about 70 bucks.

Very Interesting!
    12-11-08 11:25 PM
    I messed up. they don't exist yet. But they should be available soon. ??? HAHA they announced the product in 2006 and people are still waiting. I would never use it because i have no need for WiFi. But it might be a solution to the WiFi issue.
    12-11-08 11:41 PM
    And here I couldn't understand why the 8900 was not 3G.
    12-11-08 11:49 PM
    I've heard that the upcoming OS patch will include WiFi hardware. Just be sure it's not in your pocket when it downloads.
    12-12-08 03:17 PM
    Correction: it's not a matter of failing to enable it or hobbling it, it's that the device was not designed with WiFi hardware at all (this is true of all iterations of the Storm, not just the Verizon one).

RIM presented the storm to verizon with the option of having Wi-Fi, verizon asked for it to not be included.
    12-12-08 03:20 PM
64 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD