Hello All,

Blackberry newbie here...22 yr old college kid with my first smartphone. Longgggg time Apple lover and owner of all things Mac, including a G4 PowerBook and and iPod Touch. But, unlike others, I'm not blinded by the iPhone hype. I recognize the appeal of the second to none user friendly interface, but the phone just doesn't pack the punch the Storm and all other BB's do. I've had my Storm since Christmas Eve and since I use the aforementioned powerbook sans intel chip, I am still running .75 on it. I love the device though, and am learning everyday how to make use of this powerhouse. And I too am of the belief that as soon as the OS and other software catches up to the hardware, this phone will be unstoppable.

With all that said, one thing I have noticed is when typing on the keyboard, to switch text modes...i.e. 123 or symbols you have to keep pressing the button over and over again because after one keystroke it switches back to full qwerty mode. On the iPhone/Touch if you hit the numbers button it stays on the numbers until you hit the abc button to go back to regular text. This is a useful feature to save time when typing a number or address. Is this possible to set-up via a setting on the storm? If so, help would be appreciated!

PS This place rocks! The support and info passed around on here is first rate!
    12-28-08 09:48 PM
    all you need to do is hold the click down on one of those buttons to lock them in.
    12-28-08 09:55 PM
    just hold down the 123 or sym button to lock it. You will see a lock next to the key. Hope that helps.

Welcome to the real smartphone
    12-28-08 09:56 PM
    So simple that I never even thought of it. A quick follow-up question though and that is when i hold my finger over a key without clicking it will bring up a secondary bubble with another character. The weird thing is that sometimes it will bring up just one letter from a key as opposed to showing both or other times it will show a variety of multi-lingual characters. What is happening in these cases?
    12-28-08 10:02 PM
    You may already know this, but another useful tip (something I read when I first got the phone and completely forgot about) is if you want to type a capital letter, just hold it down for a second. (Not needed for the first word of a sentence) For the past month I've been using the caps lock key to type capitals until I saw someone mention it again recently. I've wasted so much time turning on caps lock.
    12-28-08 10:05 PM
    If you are in Suretype and just click one key thats when the two letters show up. then if you hover it shows all the other ones. Its nice to see someone from NC. Is it snowing in Boone yet?
    12-28-08 10:34 PM
    Spinie...sadly no snow in Boone. It's been a mild winter thus far, although we have seen about 5 weak snow events. Thanks for the help. The whole hovering thing has thrown me off. But it is all making sense now.
    12-28-08 11:01 PM
    When typing a web address in SureType, hovering over a letter will usually throw up a / symbol because it's a quick way to enter that in the URL as you type without having to shift letters. Also hovering on e will do the same thing for all the e based letters that have accents on them. They keyboard layout is smart logic based and depends upon its orientation to dictate what you may be trying to pull up as a typing character when you are pressing/holding/hovering.... let's see an iPhone do that.
    12-28-08 11:19 PM
    well at least you have had snow. down in charlotte its just foggy.
    12-28-08 11:26 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD