Posted on September 10, 2007 in the Blackberry 101, lecture 1, "Why Blackberry?" article, Kevin posts his opinion on why RIM not making a touchscreen Blackberry was a pro instead of a con... i think they were trying to answer this exact article just for you kevin haha.

"Under the Ease of Use reason for Why Blackberry? I want to emphasize LACK OF TOUCH SCREEN as a contributing factor. To those who say trackballs and keyboards with buttons are �dated technology� I say in response that you are wrong! Push button design is practical, logical, efficient, and effective, and therefore tough to argue with. Touch screens are fun to play with (keyword fun), but when it comes to getting the job done fast, effectively, and without error the touch screen can�t compete. It�s often very easy to make a mistake on a device that requires touch screen input, and also takes more time to correct the mistake. Touch screens lack feedback � when you push a button you don�t really feel that you�ve pushed it unless you confirm it with your eyessss, often resulting in misstypees. Veteran BlackBerry users get so learned with the buttons on the device that they often can use the phone without even looking at it, thanks to the FEEL of the buttons. There�s obviously a factor of personal preference on the touch vs. no touch matter, so I would encourage you to give both a try. I�m pretty sure that once you go BlackBerry, you�ll never go back."
    11-17-08 01:53 AM
    lol.... yuuup he is our jesus lol
    11-17-08 01:54 AM
    but if you read kevins review on the storm from a few weeks ago, he did mention that you still have to look at the screen to make sure your fingers are in the right spots. For some (including myself) this could be a deal breaker, because I type without looking all the time
    11-17-08 01:56 AM
    Thats true but you also have to look at the screen to make sure your trackball is at the right selection. But i know what you mean i type without looking all the time.. this will be a bummer but not a deal breaker for me
    11-17-08 01:58 AM
    If I get the storm, I dont want to sacrifice any functionality, and while I think the keypad will be pretty solid on the storm...it may not be enough to sway me from my curve.
    11-17-08 02:06 AM
    Yes that is one thing you would have to sacrifice but look at what you are sacrificing by not going for the storm and staying with your curve.
    11-17-08 02:16 AM
    If I get the storm, I dont want to sacrifice any functionality, and while I think the keypad will be pretty solid on the storm...it may not be enough to sway me from my curve.
    Hi

Stick with your curve or even go to a Bold, the storm could be a good phone but its just not ready yet. I got the phone on Friday and so wanted to like it. Lots of people have said that there are problems with the handset but for me its just one and thats the keypad. I find it so difficult to use. Its easier to type on my Bold or even on my iPhone. With the storm I miss letters I am getting RSI as you need to press the screen so hard. When you want to go back and change something it does not seam to like that. And its way to slow.

Its got one more day and then its going back.

Alex
    11-17-08 02:23 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD