I personally am back in love with my S1. Back in June I got an S1 and absolutely hated it, so I exchanged it for a Curve 8330. Then when 5.0 came out and I heard of all the improvements it made I went and bought a used S1 off of Craigslist. Got home, installed 5.0, and now I am in love. This phone is now everything it should have been from the onset. The S1 will be staying around for a while, no problems at all with it.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-24-09 09:38 PM
    Keeping my S1 since I refuse to spend any more $ on Berries. S1 was my 1st Berry and I suffered thru all the issues from .76 etc. and onwards. Now I find it is a known issue that Berries will delete user data (old Calendar entries etc). Yet this is supposed to be THE device for the business user???

I will get a free device upgrade from my carrier shortly and will decide then what to switch to. My S1 will then get turned off and become a paperweight. I cannot in good conscience even sell a device like this.

- R.
    Actually, the calendar is set to keep appointments in your phone for 30 days after the appointment day by default. You can change the settings in the calendar options to keep appointments forever, but I assume that would slowly eat up your memory depending how big your calendar is...

11-24-09 10:14 PM
    I too will be keeping my storm 1. I have to be some of the very few who still have their original from the Nov. 21 release date. I agree in the beginning it was difficult with it freezing and acting crazy. On top of that I was a first time Blackberry user and let me tell you without crackberry.com, I would have given that phone back in a heartbeat. With all the OS upgrades and tweaking that I have done to my phone and everyone out there, I now love it and wouldn't give it up for the life of me. Even Vuivision works really well on it. I did go to Verizon and check out the storm 2 and the Motorola Android phone. The storm 2 is better on typing and the buttons on the bottom are all built into the screen so no more dust can get in between, I also know that there is more memory and wi-fi. Other then that I see no reason to change. My theory hold onto the storm 1 until next year and see what comes out. Maybe a Storm 3 or a totally new blackberry who knows. Maybe the Motorola phone will be better in the future, I'm sure it's gone a ton of bugs like any other phone that just comes out , but why tinker with something that is so Great and fixed to the way you want. Plus in the future even if you still want the storm 2 it will be $50.00. This is why America is in so much debt., we all want what is new instead of waiting and enjoying what we have. Happy Thanksgiving to all!!
    11-25-09 10:04 AM
    Whats up with the OpenGL support anyway? Is it a memory thing that they are restricting it to the S2? I thought the CPU was the same in the S2. And, does the S2 really have a dustproof screen? That's the only thing I would ever give mine up for, getting rid of the stupid flecks in the upper left hand corner.
    11-25-09 10:31 AM
    I'm sticking with the S1 until the S2 gets the homescreen update issue fixed. WIFI and more memory will be nice but I don't really have any complaints about my S1 right now. It's running pretty sweet.

I get email links in my messages. Try installing Forward, Reply and Edit. It is a free app that you can download and it will take care of this problem for you.
    Last edited by ba_hamilton; 11-25-09 at 10:33 AM.
    11-25-09 10:31 AM
    I've looked at the S2 but I'm not eligible for an upgrade until 10/2010 and I see no reason to pay full price at this time. I really love my S1.
    11-25-09 10:40 AM
    After 1 year, I have mixed feelings about the Storm. It was a good idea, but was not ready when released. I could list the bugs and hardware issues here, but everyone knows what they are. I use my Storm primarily for browsing, and as a PDA. And while I like the screen/keyboard, it has one of the worst, most basic PIM/PDA apps that Ive ever used, and the browser is average at best. And dont even get me started on the daily reboots .......

I just imagine how frustrating this phone is for people that dont like to tinker with the settings, apply leaked OS patches, and read endless threads on forums like this.

I dont know how so many people seem to be eligible for an upgrade already, but I have to wait until next August, so Ill be stuck with this phone for quite a while. If I could upgrade now, Id chose a Droid over a Storm 2, an easy decision for me.

This was good phone for what it was, but never lived up to the expectations, and RIM took way to long to fix bugs that existed from day 1. Im afraid that android phones will be the top phones in 2010, and that BB's will become a smaller niche market instead of a mass market phone for the average consumer.
    11-25-09 10:43 AM
    So I was ready to throw my S1 out as soon as I could get my upgrade, then 5.0.0.328 came out. My phone is so solid now that I let my wife use my early upgrade to get a HTC Driod. I can up now in January but not sure if I am going to.

Anyone sitting back a while too for the S2?

I have played with it and love the changes but I see them as more evolutionary rather than revolutionary. Besides WiFi & more memory I don't see these as huge reasons to upgrade IMO.
    I would wait until March of next year, many of the new and powerful phones are coming out then. Lucky for me, that is when I can upgrade.
    11-25-09 10:43 AM
    My S1 is running 100% better now with 5.0 but I am only going to hold on to it long enough to see if VZN runs any good sales on Black Friday or my upgrade date of 12/9, where I will move away from any and all BB devices.
    My S1 will be FS on eBay as soon as I pick out my new phone.
    Last edited by pounder001; 11-25-09 at 10:48 AM.
    11-25-09 10:46 AM
    I am eligible for my NE2 in August of 2010. I can be happy with my Storm1 until then. I am hoping by then there will be news of the Storm3 and/or Droid2.
    11-25-09 10:53 AM
    I can't upgrade for another 20 months, but am very happy with my S1 despite some early issues with a defective one. I figure by the next time I upgrade, the S3 will be out for awhile and who knows what new features that will have?
    11-25-09 12:15 PM
    I was waiting for my upgrade so I could get the S2 but now that I have it I'm going to wait. I really like my storm with 5.0 and don't have any problems.

The droid loks great but I still think I'm going to wait. No need to spend the money since my S1 works fine.
    11-25-09 03:30 PM
    I have had mine for 10 months, I have had pretty good luck all along. I really like my storm since the 5.0 version up. But, we don't have bes and synching with a wire for calendar is a stupid pain in the ****.I never had good luck with the gmail synch option. My company has now gone all windows mobile, so, in september 2010 I am going to have to go to one of those, I will miss my storm,
    11-25-09 04:25 PM
    i hav mine for 4 months now..i love the 5.0
    11-25-09 04:49 PM
    well i first decided i would keep my storm1 as it runs fairly well now and wait to use my upgrade for another phone, but after seeing the phone in use since its release... i must say it would be a nice improvement.

Asked my friend today if he has done a batt. pull yet (he got it release day and is not into all the tricks you do to keep in shape, just a normal consumer) and he said no!! never have! ..and he's running at 92mb.

I think that changed my mind, im gonna get the S2.
    11-25-09 05:13 PM
    i gotta tell you guys this.I really wanted to like the droid. Might even look into the rumored passion from htc. However I'm really quite happy with my storm 1. I was the type of guy who get all the new PDAs, bluetooth headset(all of the jaw bones) but I just don't see myself jumping ship that quick. last week I reported a problem with the screen on my wife's S1, Got the phone overnight with the new OS, which I had previously installed on both S1s we have. The refurbed seem faster and had better reception. Now I'm looking at bugs to get myself a new phone b4 my warranty expires. Also I use outlook for our home business. So correct syncing is a must, not ready to go through gmail for syncing just yet.
    11-25-09 07:04 PM
    I don't have Verizon but I have the Storm 1. I am over-eligible for an upgrade on T-Mobile and I played with the 9700 but I really like my Storm. Its the "click" and heaviness. Wish I could find an S2 and try it out.

11-25-09 07:39 PM
    After the 5.0 release my S1 has been much better, but the last week it has done some crazy things it's never done before. Today it was just sitting on the seat of my car, minding it's own business and I went to pick it up and the screen was completely black. I didn't turn it off and the bluetooth blue light was still blinking. I touched the screen and nothing...plus the screen has been doing funky things and not completely refreshing making it hard to read. Other than the screen issues, the 5.0 is a great upgrade!

So I may upgrade if I can get a good deal on Black Friday...if that rumor is true.
    11-25-09 08:47 PM
    i gotta tell you guys this.I really wanted to like the droid. Might even look into the rumored passion from htc. However I'm really quite happy with my storm 1. I was the type of guy who get all the new PDAs, bluetooth headset(all of the jaw bones) but I just don't see myself jumping ship that quick. last week I reported a problem with the screen on my wife's S1, Got the phone overnight with the new OS, which I had previously installed on both S1s we have. The refurbed seem faster and had better reception. Now I'm looking at bugs to get myself a new phone b4 my warranty expires. Also I use outlook for our home business. So correct syncing is a must, not ready to go through gmail for syncing just yet.
    I had a smilar situation. I have had my s1 for about 10 months and upgraded to 5.0 about a month ago. Phone was much better but I still had a few issues one of which was a touchy options button. Well verizon have me a new s1 and this thing rocks.

Btw I use outlook and google sync and it is flawless.

11-25-09 10:31 PM
    I had a smilar situation. I have had my s1 for about 10 months and upgraded to 5.0 about a month ago. Phone was much better but I still had a few issues one of which was a touchy options button. Well verizon have me a new s1 and this thing rocks.

Btw I use outlook and google sync and it is flawless.

do you use wireless sync with Google and outlook
    11-26-09 01:06 AM
    Since the OS upgrade to 5.0, my S1 has been great. I don't collect themes and don't have too many apps. I use the native apps, docs to go and sometimes twitter and Viigo, that's about it. The only reason for me to shell out the money for a new storm or droid is s2 and droid envy.
    11-26-09 07:34 AM
    Actually, the calendar is set to keep appointments in your phone for 30 days after the appointment day by default. You can change the settings in the calendar options to keep appointments forever, but I assume that would slowly eat up your memory depending how big your calendar is...

Definitely aware of that setting and had changed it to keep "Forever" the day I got the phone. This is a known issue with Berries regardless of what you have in that setting. There are suspicions it may be memory related (Low Memory Manager triggered at 400K free or something else as 12MN free etc.) but I'm not convinced.

Check out the thread "To all those "Don't worry about memory.." comments... " in the S1 forum plus some of the related links.

Any device that randomly deletes user data without warning the user - and is designed to do so - is a <insert bad word here> as far as I'm concerned.

- R.
    11-26-09 12:15 PM
47 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD