I'm quite severely addicted with multi-tasking, and thats the reason why I ditch the iPhone 3G for a BlackBerry Storm. So 2 days ago, I finally switched telco and got the unlimited BIS, and restarted my multi-tasking habit.

I run the Windows Live Messenger, facebook, BB Browser and Music player, all at once, but after a while, the Browser becomes unbearably slow, typing across the board slow down to an excruciating level that I got to do a battery pull, even when the memory stands at around 20+MB.

Browser was at CB Wap version all along, even in there the typing lag is quite obvious. Is this a general issue suffered by all Storm users?

I'm using the Storm 9500 on official .113 OS. The Bold 9000 that my girlfriend is using handles all these tasks pretty well, no prolonged lagging or anything of that sort.
    Last edited by sliv; 03-18-09 at 04:18 AM.
    03-18-09 04:15 AM
    I'm quite severely addicted with multi-tasking, and thats the reason why I ditch the iPhone 3G for a BlackBerry Storm. So 2 days ago, I finally switched telco and got the unlimited BIS, and restarted my multi-tasking habit.

I run the Windows Live Messenger, facebook, BB Browser and Music player, all at once, but after a while, the Browser becomes unbearably slow, typing across the board slow down to an excruciating level that I got to do a battery pull, even when the memory stands at around 20+MB.

Browser was at CB Wap version all along, even in there the typing lag is quite obvious. Is this a general issue suffered by all Storm users?

I'm using the Storm 9500 on official .113 OS. The Bold 9000 that my girlfriend is using handles all these tasks pretty well, no prolonged lagging or anything of that sort.
    lllllllll;
    03-18-09 04:18 AM
    lllllllll;
    and the most pointless, not to mention useless, post goes to this guy!!!

if you figure that the Storm (or ANY pda, for that matter) is essentially a mini computer, then yes- lag can occur. I can't say as though I've ever had as much lag as you're reporting, but it can happen. The biggest thing that's probably not helping is the programs you have open, but aren't using.

For example: while possible, I find it extremely difficult to believe that you are using all those programs concurrently.

So... If you're not actively on facebook, log out. if you're not actively using windows messenger, log out. If you're not using the media player, close it.

Basically, what I'm saying is that - like a computer - the more you have open, the more the system can/will lag... whether it's actively being used or not.

If anything, I would have to argue that the biggest culprit to the slowdown is the media player. Even though something may not be playing, the phone still has to keep your library (pics, vids, music) in queue just in case. So, like I said, if you're not using it, then close it.
    03-18-09 04:33 AM
    Ditto. I believe the open apps do the same with any device that is memory dependent. I try to minimize what I have open even though I may have read that not all apps tax the memory when they are idle. I'll have to follow this one to see what the real techies offer.
    03-18-09 05:23 AM
    At times I've had the same apps running, but not for an extended amount of time. With no noticeable lag. At the most, I'll have them running for no more than 15-20 minutes, after that I have to get back to whatever it was I was doing. In which case I close whatever is not in use.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-18-09 06:07 AM
    The bold has a better processor than the storm, I think you are just going to have to do as the others suggest and close an app or two.

03-18-09 06:31 AM
    I traveled on the public transport a lot, what I used to do is an ipod for music, nokia n95 for texting and facebook, of cos the nokia crashes way too often. When I got the storm, I figure why not multi task? Yes I do use all of the apps concurrently. Take this morning for instance, once I turn on data service (I turn off before going to sleep), I get over 100 work emails to answer to. What I did was play a music, start punching the email responses, then I got to consult my colleague, I sign into live messenger, and he gave me a web address for product I was enquring. So yeah its essential, maybe I can try turning off the media player. Thanks for the input anyway guys!

03-18-09 06:43 AM
    The music seems a little silly, but that's just me, I've never liked texting and listening to music on my phone. (Texting isn't a word? Lulz.) Anyway, you may just have a ton of messages piled up, which could mean why you lag. On certain websites I get crazy lag, but maybe if you tried Opera Mini / Bolt, (If you don't already do so). I do a lot more than you do at once, save for music, and unless I have some outrageous theme, or my browser is hooked on something and loops, or if my message inbox is filled to the brim, then it does everything flawlessly. You also have to get used to battery pulls. [:
    03-18-09 06:46 AM
    The music seems a little silly, but that's just me, I've never liked texting and listening to music on my phone. (Texting isn't a word? Lulz.) Anyway, you may just have a ton of messages piled up, which could mean why you lag. On certain websites I get crazy lag, but maybe if you tried Opera Mini / Bolt, (If you don't already do so). I do a lot more than you do at once, save for music, and unless I have some outrageous theme, or my browser is hooked on something and loops, or if my message inbox is filled to the brim, then it does everything flawlessly. You also have to get used to battery pulls. [:
    Yeah gosh the battery pulls, I've to do that twice on train today after the browser got stuck loading some specification data which I was reviewing. I guess you might be right, I should leave music to a dedicated device until probably RIM began to take a closer look in the shared memory issue. I tried Bolt, I'm quite sure if I like its interface, but I think I'll try Opera Mini, the touch-to-register feature is pretty interesting. Thanks for the input!
    03-18-09 08:47 AM
    lllllllll;
    wow dude really
    03-18-09 08:55 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD