Last night I went to sleep and my phone had 80% battery life left. I wake up and it is down to 55% remaining. Is it normal for the phone to lose 25% of the battery life over the course of 6 or 7 hours without being used at all?

The only apps I have on the BB are the stock BB apps minus VZ navigator, and a few things I didn't use. I was definitely hoping for more battery life than this from a phone.
    04-30-09 06:31 AM
    in the begining the battery life will be a tad shorter, just let the phone drain, the fully recharge it, and continue that for atleast a week. i have noticed that to be the best way.

but yes, the phone battery will die without it being used.
    04-30-09 06:38 AM
    It's a smart phone charge it every night.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-30-09 06:52 AM
    The Verizon rep told me that charging it every night will actually shorten the battery life. Which is the case? Should I charge it to full capacity only when it is down to no battery remaining or charge it every night regardless of where the battery life is?
    04-30-09 07:33 AM
    You may have left some apps running. Hold down your "berry" key to see what you have open.

I'm a newbie but that's what someone told me when I had that issue
    04-30-09 07:40 AM
    I charge my Storm every nite. VZ rep is wrong.
    04-30-09 07:40 AM
    Battery chemical composure differs, and we've come a long way from nickel cadmium, but doing top up charges every night will decrease the chemical life of the battery. I use mine alot, its my third hand, but i do a full charge every 2 or 3 days, and it happens while i make dinner, so its hardly a problem

In the beginning the battery needs to condition, and I found that this can take 6 to 8 cycles.

Dont worry too much, might also be the OS version, some bug perhaps?
    04-30-09 07:41 AM
    when I first got my Storm, I also experience a batter life issue, what i did is in options, mobile network, i set it to 1XEV instead of Global. That fixed it right away.
    04-30-09 07:42 AM
    The Verizon rep told me that charging it every night will actually shorten the battery life. Which is the case? Should I charge it to full capacity only when it is down to no battery remaining or charge it every night regardless of where the battery life is?
    By the time "eventually" rolls around you will be eligible for a new phone.
    04-30-09 07:57 AM

I charge mine every night (I acually have two batteries)

If you let it drain down, what happens if it drains down at 2pm while you're out and about and no where near a charger??
    04-30-09 08:14 AM
    You may have left some apps running. Hold down your "berry" key to see what you have open.

I'm a newbie but that's what someone told me when I had that issue
    Well I think that someone told ya right.lol
    Because I believe that's the problem also...
    Make sure you close all app's when not
    Being used..

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-30-09 10:31 AM
    The Verizon rep told me that charging it every night will actually shorten the battery life...
    False.

msglength
    04-30-09 10:33 AM
    I use mine all day long. I charge it every night.
    04-30-09 10:38 AM
    The storm should be charged every night.

There is a healthy way of charging the phone and that involves waiting until getting the low battery alert before connecting it to a power source.

Do you have any email accounts set up? Connectivity is constantly taking place withe blackberry, regardless of whether you're doing anything or not. it is possible there may be another reason the batter drained as much as it did overnight.

I find that I have to charge my storm every night. I use it for emails, chatting, and for navigation during the day. It doesn't seem to last as long as many phones out there.....but then again, I am using it for many different things!
    04-30-09 10:42 AM
    To charge or not to charge, that is the question? I just juice it up every nite.
    04-30-09 12:13 PM
    with the amount of time I spend fiddling with it during the day, you bet it needs charging every night!
    04-30-09 04:58 PM
    current batterys do not keep a memory either they run by cycles

from 0 percent to 100 percent charge is 1 cycle...

so if you charge it 25 percent then another 25 percent you just charged half a cycle.....

with a blackberry with how much you use it you will more then likely be charging it once a night...

unless you never touch the thing ever

also it seems to take a bit for you to get your full battery -- some people call it the break in time..

I have never noticed this and don't even think its true...
    04-30-09 05:02 PM
    Not true. Besides, if you use your blackberry as much as most, your battery is dead or near dead at the end of day anyway. So how could not charge it everyday...
    04-30-09 07:34 PM
    when I first got my Storm, I also experience a batter life issue, what i did is in options, mobile network, i set it to 1XEV instead of Global. That fixed it right away.
    This only affects the phone if you travel out of the country, correct? Also, by switching off GLOBAL and switching on 1XEV, would this exclude CANADA and MEXICO? (I'm assuming 1XEV is for the USA).
    05-01-09 02:08 AM
    I have to disagree, I charge my storm every time it dies. My battery usually lasts 3-4 days with heavy usage.
    05-01-09 10:08 AM
    I inevitably returned my storm because my battery didn't last more than 8 hours...it was awful!
    05-01-09 10:53 AM
    you probably have gotten a bad battery or had a unique problem. The only day my phone didnt last more then 12+ hours was the first couple days. But after giving it a full charge about 2-3 times, by the end of the week my storm was lasting me from 9am past midnight.

Your problem was an actual problem and not usual for the storm. However charging it every night is not unusual. I do just because I always have long days.
    05-01-09 11:04 AM
    After I upgrade os it takes a day or two for the battery to get back right. If it doesn't change I'd take it back. Overall battery life is great!!
    05-01-09 11:06 AM
    Lithium ion batteries do not form a memory, so mid-cycle charging is not, absolutely not, a problem. That was something that applied to the old, NiCad batteries. Your battery is good for X number of recharging cycles. The only thing that charging every night will do (besides ensuring you have a fully charged battery to start the day off with) is, eventually, end the life of the battery a bit faster. In other words, instead of lasting a few years, it may only last a couple of years.

If you really want to be anal about it, allow the battery to fully discharge once every 10-12 times or so. This may assist the battery in "recalibrating" itself. I charge mine every night, regardless of what the level is. Typically, with moderately heavy usage, it's at around 24-35% after 18 hours or so.

I forgot to mention....that one thing nobody here has mentioned is, signal strength. If your bedroom is an area of your home where you get little to no signal, then your phone may be "searching" all night for a signal and this will wear down the battery charge faster. Where I used to live, this was clearly the case. I had low signal strength everywhere in the house but my bedroom where I had almost no signal unless I was pointing due North, had my eyes closed, held my breath and chanted a mantra! Drove me nuts.
    Last edited by EnergyPlus; 05-01-09 at 11:22 AM. Reason: Oh yeah, one more thing....
    05-01-09 11:19 AM
    I charge mine all the time, no issues.

Read through the forums on how to maximize your battery life.
    05-01-09 11:24 AM
40 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD