I am new Blackberry user and just purchased a new Blackberry Storm 9530...I have read tons of negative reviews regarding this phone and wanted to know if I have made a bad choice???
    10-08-09 12:21 PM
    The issues with the BlackBerry Storm have been taken care of with new OS updates. The offical OS out there is .148 but there are many more OS's leaked from various sources. Some of these OS's have been good and others not so good. Personally I prefer to stay with an offical OS and not try these leaks. Its up to you if you would like to try them or not, you may find one that you like better then the offical one. Another thing you can do to make your Storm run at its best is to do a battery pull every couple days to reset trapped application memory and allow your phone to function at its best. You have not made a bad choice if a touch screen phone is what you wanted. I love mine and have no issues with it at all. Good Luck and welcome to CB.
    10-08-09 12:36 PM
    Thanks!! I am pretty excited about the phone...
    10-08-09 12:56 PM
    welcome aboard. Like previously stated, the negatives have been taken care of. Just pull up a chair and search thru CB for themes, apps, and tips on how to make the experience better.
    10-08-09 01:04 PM
    You made a good purchase. If you have any questions or need help dont hesitate to ask questions.
    10-08-09 01:04 PM
    10-08-09 01:14 PM
    Good news is that the storm 2 should be out within your 30 day return window, so if you don't like this one the new one should be much better.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-08-09 01:16 PM
    Personally, I'd stay with an official OS release. The leaks of the latest versions have bugs that may sour your experience. Get a look at a relatively bug-free phone so you can see how good it is before purposely inflicting pain.

I've had my Storm for almost a year. It's been a great phone.
    10-08-09 02:18 PM
    If you end up staying with the 9530 when the S2 is released (I would go to s2 but thats just me) then the 5.0 official OS should be out and will make the S1 run very smooth. In the mean time you can always upgrade to .230, takes the S1 to a different level.
    10-08-09 02:29 PM
    you've made a horrible choice. i'm returning my phone and going to get a moto razor right now!!!

jk!

with the new software that's out, it's a good phone...the storm 2 will be available before xmas, as well as like 10 other new phones, some new device software for the storm and tour will be out soon as well....you should have a return policy...try the phone. don't listen to the bad press, create your own impressions with your personal first hand use...and don't be scared to break stuff, that's how you learn. you can't do anything to the device that will permanently damage it, not with the software tweaking/tinkering we do around here anyway...dropping it will of course break it...

if you want help, or advice you can feel free to email me

[email protected]
    10-08-09 04:38 PM
    Congrats on the purchased, I myself just switched to the Storm.. Can't complain , since upgrading to .230 its been running good and smooth.. am happy with my purchase...

Enjoy
    10-08-09 06:55 PM
    on .230 and loving it. This is the best phone I have had yet. Just for kicks, I charged my old HTC Touch and played with it. i can't believe how patient i was. I am spoiled.

As for problems, I had faith in these nguys here, and upgraded. I have just about everything I want. I just want a faster browser than the BB browser that is also very functional. Hopefully opera mini 5 makes a few adjustments.
    Better yet, Skyfire!
    10-08-09 07:29 PM
    you've made a horrible choice. i'm returning my phone and going to get a moto razor right now!!!

jk!

with the new software that's out, it's a good phone...the storm 2 will be available before xmas, as well as like 10 other new phones, some new device software for the storm and tour will be out soon as well....you should have a return policy...try the phone. don't listen to the bad press, create your own impressions with your personal first hand use...and don't be scared to break stuff, that's how you learn. you can't do anything to the device that will permanently damage it, not with the software tweaking/tinkering we do around here anyway...dropping it will of course break it...

if you want help, or advice you can feel free to email me

[email protected]
    moto rzr? C'mon we all know that the best phone is the v1 LG chocolate.
    10-08-09 07:36 PM
    Despite what the individual above said about the newer OS's, Take a look at this detailed thread about the new 5.0 software and then you decide for yourself whether you are content with what you have or if you would like an operating system that closer resembles what the storm should run like.

http://forums.crackberry.com/f132/5-...ements-332681/
    10-08-09 07:37 PM
    I used to be a storm hater...once upon a time...not that long ago actually. But now, I have converted and can confidently tell you you've made a great choice! The Storm 2 will be out soon as noted above, and my suggestion is to jump on that one as soon as it hits the stores.
    10-08-09 09:47 PM
    it took me awhile to like the storm, but thanks to this site and learning alot about this phone it's one of my favs! Can't wait to see a more stable OS 5 and S2!
    10-08-09 10:21 PM
    I'm liking this phone more and more every day. I've only had it for two weeks and was torn between touch screen vs keypad. I've read that some are having issues with the Tour and the Curve 8900 is not on Verizon (yet ). The more info I get on this site as well as daily use. The more I enjoy the Storm.
    10-08-09 10:39 PM
    personally i wouldnt get the storm 2,its going to be full of bugs,thats rims trademark. i would stay with the storm one,get used to it, get the new os,then i would try out the storm 2 after about six months,when the price drops in half,and believe me it will. just my opinion.i love my storm 1 on .230.
    10-08-09 10:54 PM
    storm 2 hardly any bugs left after the recent test build sent out...it's like they have a "known bugs list" and they're just scratchin' em off as they go...by the time it launches, it'll prolly be the most successful RIM device launch ever...

but then again it could be a massive QC failure, and it'll overshadow the device's benefits...lol
    10-08-09 10:59 PM
    Probably should have waited for the Storm 2 at this point. The original still has some issues that remain, they have NOT all been fixed. Be prepared to do some battery pulls.

10-09-09 07:11 AM
    RIM and carriers have had nearly a year to get everything sorted out with the Storm, and they have largely succeeded. I can't help but think that they have made fixes to the hardware issues as manufacturing has progressed. My touchscreen clicks wonderfully with only the slightest bit of "mush" in the extreme corners--not enough to warrant a torx screw tweak or installation of felt pads, dimes, stickers, matchsticks or whatever.

I do take some precautions to make sure the Storm runs well and with an optimum amount of app memory to keep it running smooth. I deleted (as I did on my Pearl) applications and add-ons for which I have no use: BlackBerry Maps (I use Google Maps instead--more functional and less bloat), BlackBerry Messenger (the folks I message with are on AOL Instant Messenger, which I can invoke at my discretion, instead of having BBM in the background constantly), VZ Navigator (not needed for GPS functionality, plus I already have a Garmin that I use for directions), alternate languages and their character sets, and a couple more that I can't think of right off the top of my head. These are all standard tweaks that, if you comb the forums using the search function, you will find are easy to affect thanks to step-by-step instructions graciously shared by CrackBerry Nation.

I also purchased for 3 bucks the excellent application, MeterBerry, which monitors battery and memory performance and automatically resets my device early in the morning while I'm sleeping. For a Storm, I consider it a must have app. I give it credit for my device maintaining between 30-40MB of free app memory throughout the day.

For browsing the Internet, I chose Bolt Browser which just hit with its official release. (1.5) Most folks will tell you Opera Mini is superior. To be fair, it's a nice app, but I have used it side-by-side with Bolt and in my opinion Bolt is better...for now. Opera Mini 5 is still in beta. I'll look at it again when it becomes an official release.

And I'm also sticking with the "stock" .148 OS for the time being. My gut tells me that 5.0 will hit around the same time the Storm 2 does, so that's when I'll look into making an OS change. Given the Storm's track record, I'm not going to risk it, especially since mine is running like a sewing machine. The Pearl I had previously, however, was a different story and begged to be hacked.

In any event, read the forums, learn the tips and tricks, don't go overboard, and enjoy your new toy!
    10-09-09 04:20 PM
    Loving my Storm-touchscreen is the way to go for me so I'm happy.
    10-09-09 08:22 PM
    Probably should have waited for the Storm 2 at this point. The original still has some issues that remain, they have NOT all been fixed. Be prepared to do some battery pulls.

sorry but i disagree....i went from whenever .148 came out until two weeks ago, and i did maybe 3 battery pulls...no reason to...

if you're careful about what apps you load there's no need to have to do battery pulls....no memory issues, and no freezing. i will say

of all of the OS builds, .148 had the best "stock memory" management...meaning if you had no apps loaded, the device was the most stable of all the builds...every other OS since then the device app memory fluctuates quite a bit, with just native apps running...and stability/freezing has been an issue as well...none that requires a battery pull, just sorta hiccups, then keeps going.

your device will be as good as you want it to be. you'll get from it what you put into it.
    10-09-09 09:51 PM
    I am new Blackberry user and just purchased a new Blackberry Storm 9530...I have read tons of negative reviews regarding this phone and wanted to know if I have made a bad choice???
    Ha! You made me laugh. I said the same thing about 2 months ago when i got mine. Didn't read reviews beforehand and I'm glad i didn't because now i really like the phone. Once you're used to it and you figure out what it can and can't do you'll really enjoy the phone.
    10-10-09 06:14 AM
    yea the only real issue is that you going to have is just getting used to the complete touchscreen and maybe some finger prints. had mine since Jan. i was apart of the second wave that was sent out. had bugs at first but the OS updates knock them down one by one. i am on OS 5.0 now and is running smooth.
    10-10-09 06:45 AM
26 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD