so i dl some free themes and instead of ota, as it said, i get a file to my pc, (".jad" file). cant install w/ dm. also tryed emailing to myself. seemed to work, untill it said "download failed". not sure whats goin on here. . . . . .what do i do?
    05-07-09 03:21 PM
    so i dl some free themes and instead of ota, as it said, i get a file to my pc, (".jad" file). cant install w/ dm. also tryed emailing to myself. seemed to work, untill it said "download failed". not sure whats goin on here. . . . . .what do i do?
    Get it OTA.
    05-07-09 03:23 PM
    the .jad file is the OTA file and your storm should be able to install it. if the download failed, could be a problem at the download site.
    05-07-09 03:25 PM
    . . .but why does it dl to my pc? ota's that work always take me to a page to input my cell# and carrier to send it as a sms. . .
    05-07-09 03:30 PM
    . . .but why does it dl to my pc? ota's that work always take me to a page to input my cell# and carrier to send it as a sms. . .
    It will download to where ever you tell it too. You must have been on your computer when you asked it to download. It will download, but you will not be able to do anything with it on your computer.
    05-07-09 03:42 PM
    You need to use that download link from your BB browser.
    05-07-09 03:48 PM
    Go to the link with the browser on your phone. If that fails, as stated above, then there's something wrong with the site.
    05-07-09 03:49 PM
    Here's what I do - right click the link to the .jad file on your pc...then click mail to - and mail it to yourself. Open the mail on your blackberry, and voila - install away. I find this faster than trying to surf to the link on my blackberry.
    05-07-09 04:40 PM
    You can copy the files to your memory card or your phone. Open Media, hit the menu key, select explore, give the path to the .jad file and now you should be able to install it.
    05-07-09 05:08 PM
    Here's what I do - right click the link to the .jad file on your pc...then click mail to - and mail it to yourself. Open the mail on your blackberry, and voila - install away. I find this faster than trying to surf to the link on my blackberry.
    If you actually know what .jad files are, you would know that it only works in some cases...

For those who don't know what .jad files are, well, they are content descriptors. It allows your phone to download the content they want, may it be a ringtone (.mp3, .wav or other), an application (.jar or .cod) or other. IT DOESN'T CONTAIN THE CONTENT, ONLY A LINK TO THE CONTENT YOU WANT.

So unless the .jad file has absolute URLs to your content (extremely rare), email it to yourself won't work. Emailing yourself the link will.
    05-07-09 05:37 PM
    which is why I said, I email the LINK to myself.

edit...I worded it a bit poorly now that I re-read it....

"right click the link to the .jad file on your pc" should read "right click the internet link to the .jad file (while on your PC)
    Last edited by Canucklehed; 05-07-09 at 05:45 PM.
    05-07-09 05:42 PM
    If the .jad file is downloaded to your PC then there is no way of getting a link to the jad file. And usually with the jad file there are also cod files that are downloaded. In such a scenario, the best thing to do would be to copy the files to your phone/memory card and follow the instructions I gave in the above post. If you haven't downloaded the files to your PC then follow the instructions of Canucklhed/Finewolf
    05-07-09 06:07 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD