The reason I'm asking is because I live in Chicago & it gets bloody cold here. I often check bus schedules or look up an address while I'm standing outside. If the touch screen is heat sensitive does that mean the phone won't work if my hands are cold or if I'm standing outside?

I would really appreciate any information you may have.

Thanks

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-19-08 09:44 AM
    If that is even remotely possible, wouldnt your finger still be warmer than the screen itself? hmmm
    11-19-08 09:50 AM
    Check this thread out. http://forums.crackberry.com/f86/use...-gloves-95197/ Might have some more info. for you.
    11-19-08 09:51 AM
    I heard you can make pancakes on it too. And that the gap around the screen is actually a grease trap for the bacon grease.
    11-19-08 09:52 AM
    The reason I'm asking is because I live in Chicago & it gets bloody cold here. I often check bus schedules or look up an address while I'm standing outside. If the touch screen is heat sensitive does that mean the phone won't work if my hands are cold or if I'm standing outside?

I would really appreciate any information you may have.

Thanks

If it was heat sensitive, you'd have the same problem in hot climates (think IR imaging) in that your finger and the screen would be at very similar temperatures.
    11-19-08 10:09 AM
    Weirdest frickin question!

11-19-08 10:16 AM
    I am lucky enough to own a storm and I can say that you do need to have some sort of skin contact. Had a blinding idea to use my old stylus for the finer bits of selection, alas no joy!
    Have a pair of 'Blackberry' gloves that has a removable thumb tip That way you can remove the tip of the glove when you need to type and then put it back on to keep it warm for the next use.
    I'm starting to get used to typing on the screen but it does take a little time.
    11-19-08 10:19 AM
    I heard you can make pancakes on it too. And that the gap around the screen is actually a grease trap for the bacon grease.
    LMAO!! classic civic!
    11-19-08 10:25 AM
    I think i remember hearing reports of this problem with the iphone, so i guess the question isnt entirely odd... i would imagine that jaykav is correct, your finger would be warmer than the screen.
    11-19-08 10:36 AM
    This does make sense. I was at the train station once and their machines are touch screens and it was so cold that the machine wouldn't register selections. Yes I was wearing gloves whick I took off but it didn't help. I had to breath on my hands between each click.

11-19-08 10:49 AM
    It has nothingh to do with heat .. it is a capacitive screen.

From wikipedia

A capacitive touchscreen panel is coated with a material, typically indium tin oxide, that conducts a continuous electrical current across the sensor.[2][3] The sensor therefore exhibits a precisely controlled field of stored electrons in both the horizontal and vertical axes - it achieves capacitance. The human body is also an electrical device which has stored electrons and therefore also exhibits capacitance. Capacitive sensors work based on proximity, and do not have to be directly touched to be triggered. It is a durable technology that is used in a wide range of applications including point-of-sale systems, industrial controls, and public information kiosks. It has a higher clarity than Resistive technology, but it only responds to finger contact and will not work with a gloved hand or pen stylus

More reading Comparing Touchscreen Technologies

if you need to use glove .. look at something like this iPhone & iTouch Stylus Pen - Black
    Last edited by Briard; 11-19-08 at 11:58 AM.
    11-19-08 11:45 AM
    [QUOTE=Briard;996059]It has nothingh to do with heat .. it is a capacitive screen.

From wikipedia

A capacitive touchscreen panel is coated with a material, typically indium tin oxide, that conducts a continuous electrical current across the sensor.[2][3] The sensor therefore exhibits a precisely controlled field of stored electrons in both the horizontal and vertical axes - it achieves capacitance. The human body is also an electrical device which has stored electrons and therefore also exhibits capacitance. Capacitive sensors work based on proximity, and do not have to be directly touched to be triggered. It is a durable technology that is used in a wide range of applications including point-of-sale systems, industrial controls, and public information kiosks. It has a higher clarity than Resistive technology, but it only responds to finger contact and will not work with a gloved hand or pen stylus

More reading Comparing Touchscreen Technologies

@ civc...girl ur not gonna top this one .....but luv the pancakes thooooo...LMAO
    11-19-08 02:06 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD