I am trying to disable the firewall on my strom. Running 4.7.0/132. I think the firewall enabled/locked when I added a work email.

Crackutil will reset the ITPolicy and disable/unlock the firewall, but everytime I connect to DM after the reset, the firewall is enabled/locked again. Running DM 4.7.

Is there a file or registry setting that I am overlooking on the PC?
    04-29-09 04:10 PM
    I had a replacement that had an ITPolicy on it. Verizon sent me an email explaining how to take it off. this was a while ago so I can't remember step by step what to do, but you might want to give them a call. Sorry if this wasn't any help...
    04-29-09 04:16 PM
    Hello Tyler,

Thank you for contacting BlackBerry support. My name is Joey and I am member of the Desktop and Handheld Escalation Team. I am very happy to assist you today.

Tyler, I am emailing you the steps and required elements to remove the policy. Feel free to reply to this email with further questions or if you need more assistance. Also if you have any troubles with any of the steps we are available to give you a hand. You can call at 1-877-255-2377 select option 1 and you can request to speak to me directly about the issue. If I am not in the office there will be someone to help with the issue.

Please follow the steps below to obtain the blank policy:

1. Backup the handheld. [Open Desktop Manager > Backup & Restore > Backup.
    (Desktop Manager can be downloaded from BlackBerry - PDA Software Downloads - Support & Services at BlackBerry.com > BlackBerry� Device and Desktop Software > Download BlackBerry Device and Desktop Software > BlackBerry Desktop Software v4.2 Service Pack 2 )

2. Perform a security wipe on the handheld [Options > Security Options > General Settings > Click the track wheel/menu button and click "Wipe Handheld"]

3. Copy the "Policy.bin" file [attached] into the following directory: "C:\Program Files\Research In Motion\BlackBerry"

4. Open Desktop Manager and connect the handheld.

5. When the handheld makes the connection to Desktop Manger the blank IT Policy will be applied.

6. Once the policy has been applied, please ensure that you delete the "Policy.bin" file that was copied to C:\Program Files\Research In Motion\BlackBerry. If you do not remove this file, Desktop Manager may not behave as expected.

At this point, you can restore your backup file or specific databases to the handheld.

Once the backups have been restored you will now be able to go to Options > Security Options > General Settings > and disable the password on your handheld.

Note: if you are connected to a corporate computer that has a BlackBerry Enterprise Server, the policy may be pushed back down to you BlackBerry Smartphone. If this is the case you should contact your BlackBerry Server administrator and have him remove your user name from the IT Policy Group Default.
    04-29-09 04:18 PM
    I have the "Policy.bin" attached to this email they sent me if you need it. Just let me know your email address so I can forward it to you.
    04-29-09 04:19 PM
    Thanks! I think there is a thread somewhere with the policy.bin file. Hopefully this will work on the store. Sounds too simple, yet I wasted a lot of time.
    04-29-09 04:22 PM
    yeah I didn't have any problems with it. gl!
    04-29-09 04:22 PM
    Tyler or rdeboth, can you please PM me? I want to get this policy.bin, as I need to turn off my firewall as well.

Thanks! (dont have 10 messages yet)
    Last edited by Davion77; 04-29-09 at 09:56 PM.
    04-29-09 04:56 PM
    Tried using the policy.bin from remove-i-t-policy-blackberry-569 thread [unable to post direct links yet] This file is about 2 years old.

It did not work for me and I do not have enough posts to email yet. Tyler, are you able to upload the file to this thread?
    04-29-09 08:29 PM
    To remove the IT policy, you can also do this:

plug in blackberry to computer
    open up command prompt
    type cd c:\program files\common files\research in motion\apploader
    push enter
    type LOADER.exe /resettofactory
    push enter

This will wipe the phone, put back on the latest installed OS, and remove the IT policy.
    04-29-09 09:37 PM
    tried the loader.exe and the firewall is unlocked, but as soon as I connect to DM the firewall is locked again.
    04-29-09 10:55 PM
    Thanks all for your help. Had to actually uninstall DM, reboot, clean registry and reinstall DM. That prevented the policy from being placed back onto the phone.
    05-03-09 08:42 AM
    Mod Should Sticky this for further issues other people have
    05-03-09 09:51 AM
    Thanks all for your help. Had to actually uninstall DM, reboot, clean registry and reinstall DM. That prevented the policy from being placed back onto the phone.
    Hey there, I have a question for you. I did everything listed in your posts along with the person you were posting with. I have the IT policy removed once I accidentally placed it on my storm. (IT Pol was on a different device and when I connected my storm, it installed the same blank IT Policy by my mistake) anyway, I am having issues with getting the firewall un-enabeled even after I cleared the registry, and reinstalled the DM. I did what you both did, then reinstalled by backup and then the firewall was enabled (un-highlightable too) and I cannot select it to turn it off. Any suggestions?

BT
    05-04-09 07:53 AM
    Tyler or rdeboth, can you please PM me? I want to get this policy.bin, as I need to turn off my firewall as well.

Thanks! (dont have 10 messages yet)
    Hey there, did you ever get a resolution to you issue? I am having the same issue with the firewall? any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks,

BT
    05-04-09 07:56 AM
    Hello Tyler,

Thank you for contacting BlackBerry support. My name is Joey and I am member of the Desktop and Handheld Escalation Team. I am very happy to assist you today.

Tyler, I am emailing you the steps and required elements to remove the policy. Feel free to reply to this email with further questions or if you need more assistance. Also if you have any troubles with any of the steps we are available to give you a hand. You can call at 1-877-255-2377 select option 1 and you can request to speak to me directly about the issue. If I am not in the office there will be someone to help with the issue.

Please follow the steps below to obtain the blank policy:

1. Backup the handheld. [Open Desktop Manager > Backup & Restore > Backup.
    (Desktop Manager can be downloaded from BlackBerry - PDA Software Downloads - Support & Services at BlackBerry.com > BlackBerry� Device and Desktop Software > Download BlackBerry Device and Desktop Software > BlackBerry Desktop Software v4.2 Service Pack 2 )

2. Perform a security wipe on the handheld [Options > Security Options > General Settings > Click the track wheel/menu button and click "Wipe Handheld"]

3. Copy the "Policy.bin" file [attached] into the following directory: "C:\Program Files\Research In Motion\BlackBerry"

4. Open Desktop Manager and connect the handheld.

5. When the handheld makes the connection to Desktop Manger the blank IT Policy will be applied.

6. Once the policy has been applied, please ensure that you delete the "Policy.bin" file that was copied to C:\Program Files\Research In Motion\BlackBerry. If you do not remove this file, Desktop Manager may not behave as expected.

At this point, you can restore your backup file or specific databases to the handheld.

Once the backups have been restored you will now be able to go to Options > Security Options > General Settings > and disable the password on your handheld.

Note: if you are connected to a corporate computer that has a BlackBerry Enterprise Server, the policy may be pushed back down to you BlackBerry Smartphone. If this is the case you should contact your BlackBerry Server administrator and have him remove your user name from the IT Policy Group Default.
    Hello Tyler,
    Thanks for the post of this instruction. It worked to remove the IT Policy. It however, enabled my firewall and I do not know yet how to un-enable it b/c it is not selectable in my options to disable it. Any suggestions?

Thanks a bunch,
    BT
    05-04-09 07:58 AM
    It would not be the easiest but I would wipe the phone, remove everything Blackberry from the computer, start from scratch. There is something in the DM backup files that is causing this.
    05-04-09 08:43 AM
    I removed the software and included the DM, the OS for both blackberrys I own. Is there a special way to clean the registry or just undo the Policy.bin value? (the process I implanted to install the blank policy?)
    BT
    05-04-09 09:37 AM
    Hi BT
    Where do you stand with your issue? I have exactly the same problem. Can cear the IT Policy, but are still unable to disable the firewall.
    Help is so much appreciated!
    Cheers, Big Buddy
    05-06-09 10:50 AM
    I have it completely removed using the jm_cmdl utility. Didn't even need the blank IT policy .bin file actually. I cleaned the whole blackberry software off my computer and all is fresh and clean now!
    05-06-09 11:59 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD