I have little to no cell reception in my office since it is a concrete building within another concrete building (a big warehouse). For some reason, BB messenger will not work when the cell signal is weak, but sms will. I also have issues with email and data due to the weak signal. When I leave the building and return to normal cell signal, BB messenger, email, and sometimes data will not work at all until I reset my Storm. To reset it, I am running quickpull. Occasionally, things will start to work again on their own, but it is usually a while after. For example, someone sent me a BB message the other day around 12, and I didn't get it until almost 3 which was an hour after I had left the warehouse.

Is this a Storm issue or a Blackberry issue? Anyone else having these problems, or am I just doing something wrong? Is there maybe a way to force my Storm to reestablish a connection with the network other than resetting the phone? I tried turning the antenna off and then back on, but that did nothing. Thanks in advance.
    10-02-09 11:24 AM
    you are losing connection to the BB servers are that time. You are still getting a voice signal but data is no go it sounds like. It does take tiime it seems to reconnect to the BB server. My suggestions is to turn the connections off and then back on when you leave to maybe see if it fixes it right away
    10-02-09 12:33 PM
    you are losing connection to the BB servers are that time. You are still getting a voice signal but data is no go it sounds like. It does take tiime it seems to reconnect to the BB server. My suggestions is to turn the connections off and then back on when you leave to maybe see if it fixes it right away
    I tried that yesterday with no luck. I went to manage connections and selected the option to turn all connections off.
    10-02-09 03:55 PM
    this is truly strange...i have issues with coverage in some areas...and when i get signal again i get blown up

a few points to cover:

calls and sms travel on the voice network, indicated with "1x" (note it's not caps in this example)

all data services that run through RIM require "1X" or "1XEV" (caps indicate connectivity to RIM servers specifically, lowercase just means you have VZW connection and not RIM connection)

so what you're experiencing is no RIM connectivity...it's possible that you're in a part of the network where the "RIM connectivity" isn't supported at this time, or the materials the building is made out of interferes with that particular frequency that carries RIM signal...

to clarify, you lose data capabilities when inside the building, and when you leave the building they don't restore, you have to reboot the device?

what OS are you on?
    10-02-09 06:17 PM
    I think that the materials the building is made of interfere with all frequencies, lol. My office is in a concrete building with a metal roof inside of another concrete building with a metal roof.

I loose data when inside the building due to lack of signal. Sometimes emails will come through, but they are usually delayed. BB messenger will never work inside the building. Today everything restored automatically, but I usually have to reset the device.

I am on OS 148

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-02-09 07:40 PM
    resend service books and re-register with HRT lately?
    10-02-09 07:42 PM
    Not sure what you are talking about. Service books? HRT?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-02-09 08:01 PM
    okay, first i'll answer your questions, but i suggest you go read the "blackberry 101" articles on this site...they're very helpful in explaining a lot about your phone...

service books are what allows your phones to do things, HRT = host routing table, works in unison with service books, RIM and your carrier to get stuff from wherever it's coming from to your phone, and visa versa...

from your device go to
    options>advanced options>host routing table>bb button>register

email settings>login>bb button>service books>click "send service books"

then i'd suggest rebooting with a battery pull (for good measure, not necessary)
    10-02-09 08:33 PM
    Thanks Patches. I resent service books and re-registered with HRT. I will have to wait until Monday to see if that does it though.

I'm definitely going to read some of the blackberry 101 articles now.
    10-02-09 10:08 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD