I'm new to posting in the forums, but I've "lurked"/read for years as I have had Blackberry devices for a while now. But I do have a question regarding the Storm's (and the Bold's, as I'm testing both devices right now) on-board memory. Do these devices, and all current RIM models for that matter, actually have enough memory to be fairly "future-proofed" (at least for the next year) if RIM expands on its Application Center model over the next year, as they seem to be striving for? The 2 premier devices right now, the Bold and the Storm, have 128MB flash memory, and 1GB on-board memory. This barely seems adequate now, as even after I've removed several non-essential .cod packages through DM for my storm, and cleaned up the free memory as much as possible, I only have approx 38-40 Mb free memory at start-up, and after a day of use, it usually drops under 30 Mb free (even with closing all programs and running memory cleaner often). If the Application Center tries to offer more 3rd party programs for Blackberry devices, similar to Apple's App Store, will these current devices even be able to utilize more than maybe a few of these apps? Especially if the developers start creating more elaborate, storage space intensive apps (such as games, etc)? Another question relating to this is "where are applications stored on Blackberry devices-in the RAM(the 128Mb flash on these devices)?" Thats what seems to greatly decrease as I add more applications to my devices. If this is correct, is/will there be a way to utilize the "on-board"/memory card storage for programs? Or is this why newer devices coming out in the next few months (like the Javelin) have more RAM? If the Javelin comes with the 256 Mb of RAM that has been reported, I see this as a huge "long term" advantage.
    Ultimately, after all this rambling, my main question is this..are the current premier devices from RIM(Storm/Bold) going to actually be able to "keep-up" with the potential applications that may be coming for the Blackberry platform in the very near future, as RIM pushes its Application Center concept heavily in the coming months, or are these devices going to become very dated rather rapidly (over the next 6-8 months), more-so than Blackberry devices in the past?
    11-27-08 03:43 PM
    I would think that RIM would also consider the people that use a Curve or 8800 series phone because they have a lot less memory.
    11-27-08 03:55 PM
    But wouldn't that limit how extensive and robust the potential programs can/could be?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-27-08 04:11 PM
    Yes, I completely agree with you. I wonder what the people with a 8300 or 8800 seiries phone will do...upgrade their phones maybe.
    11-27-08 04:13 PM
    To answer your question there are already big problems because of the issue you mention (low level flash memory) and adding more 3rd party apps will only exacerbate the problem.

The only way to get around this problem is to limit the amount of 3rd party apps installed on the device. I beleive (somebody may correct me) that all the current apps must be installed on the device to properly function with the exception of wallpapers. They can be installed on device or memory card.

I think they made a huge error by only allocating 128megs of flash memory on the Storm. Thats why I think the issues of lag, lock-ups etc will continue because a touch device should have, in my opinion, at the very least a gig to handle all the animations and such.

So to answer your question. The low amount of available memory WILL be a limiting factor down the road.
    11-27-08 05:15 PM
    That's what I thought. So it seems like to really make any advancements in 3rd party apps and their quality, there almost HAS to be an update to both of these phones coming fairly soon (sooner than usual product line updates, anyway). I don't think RIM would make their premier devices not be able to run the latest and greatest apps for the Blackberry platform.
    I can't believe RIM didn't add more RAM to these 2 devices(even though the Bold does A LOT better with memory management than the Storm), yet the Javelin will have double the RAM. I think this is going to allow it to actually outperform the Storm and Bold, despite the slower processor (than the Bold, anyway).

11-27-08 07:54 PM
    That's what I thought. So it seems like to really make any advancements in 3rd party apps and their quality, there almost HAS to be an update to both of these phones coming fairly soon (sooner than usual product line updates, anyway). I don't think RIM would make their premier devices not be able to run the latest and greatest apps for the Blackberry platform.
    I can't believe RIM didn't add more RAM to these 2 devices(even though the Bold does A LOT better with memory management than the Storm), yet the Javelin will have double the RAM. I think this is going to allow it to actually outperform the Storm and Bold, despite the slower processor (than the Bold, anyway).

Hey chris. Both the phones will be able to run all their apps but as far as how many one can safely download without causing a sluggish device is something I have no idea about.

The Storm can barely run with what it has now even while deleting the VZNav app. Imagine what will happen when themes start coming out along with other apps for it : (

I'm not a huge tech dude but my guess is that the Storms OS will have to be totally reworked for the current generation Storm to get it atleast somewhat decent. A lot of updates will be needed and it will never be quite the bb we have all come to know. I could be wrong though.

The Bold is pretty sweet check out the Niagra as well. That device will be killer.

Javelin is gonna rock too so there is some good things coming down the pike from RIM.

11-27-08 09:07 PM
    I completely agree as well. This thing should have 256 mb of memory minimum!

11-27-08 09:40 PM
    Can't RIM release an update to utilise the 1gb onboard memory as the app memory, or is it not as easy as that?

12-16-08 12:25 PM
    People... Keep in mind that RIM was designing this phone 2-3 years ago, and at some point they had to make a decision on how to allocate the resources. I'm sure at the time 128MB seemed like a lot, and it really is for a handheld device where most apps are under 500K in size.

But you know, if you think you can do better, get cracking on coming up with a design schematic for a new phone. Maybe you'll even have a chance of selling it to RIM if it's good enough.
    12-16-08 12:32 PM
    with how cheap memory is these days I do not understand ANY phone having such a low amount - not just BlackBerries. Phone manufacturers know that consumers are using their phones for more than just simple calls and texting, therefore why not start building them better suited for the more demanding tasks that consumers are using. Just the UI would benefit from more memory on devices.
    12-16-08 12:45 PM
    with how cheap memory is these days I do not understand ANY phone having such a low amount - not just BlackBerries. Phone manufacturers know that consumers are using their phones for more than just simple calls and texting, therefore why not start building them better suited for the more demanding tasks that consumers are using. Just the UI would benefit from more memory on devices.
    Whenever you want to understand the reasons why a company does what it does, always start with money. Almost always, it will come back to money in the end with a company.

And let's not forget that DRAM makers recently pleaded guilty to price fixing. All the different brands you see on the shelf in a store, or listed online at a place like NewEgg, are all made by about 4 companies. Just like HDTV displays, and coincidentally, THOSE 3-4 companies recently pleaded guilty to price fixing too.

Due to the nature of mass production, RIM entered into long term contracts with someone to supply them with DRAM chips at a fixed rate. If the price of DRAM chips falls, RIM is still stuck paying that contract rate. The supplier isn't likely to want to renegotiate the contract when it's working in their favor, and they hold all the power in this situation. A delay of even a couple hours in a shipment of parts could cost RIM millions of dollars, and if the DRAM supplier decides to just terminate the contract, RIM is left scrambling to try and find a new supplier before their existing supply runs out.

If they have to shut down production because of this, it creates MASSIVE problems. Their other supply partners are going to keep sending shipments of parts as stipulated in THEIR contracts. So, now on top of having to find a new DRAM supplier and swallow the costs of having the assembly lines idle, they have to figure out how they're going to store this ever growing surplus of other parts. It's a logistics nightmare when things are running smoothly, but if one supplier starts causing problems for whatever reason, things will quickly spiral completely out of control.

Just because YOU can go down to Best Buy or wherever and pick up RAM $10 cheaper than last week doesn't mean that applies universally.

And like I said, RIM had to finalize the hardware spec on the phone over a year ago minimum. They have to give the developers time to come up with the software to make it do anything, not to mention crank out that initial supply for the launch. That doesn't just happen overnight.

This is all real basic POM and Trans Log type stuff... Go to your local library or college bookstore, and pick up a few intro books on the subjects. It will be most enlightening as to why things are the way they are.
    12-16-08 01:10 PM
    i wonder if anyone will be able to figure out how to get into the storms memory and change the amount of application memory and on-board mamory and adjust it so that the app memory will be more. how many people are actually going to use the on-baord memory for music nad videos when you got an 8gb card.
    12-16-08 01:23 PM
    i think that would be a nice lil hack. 100mb of app memory would be nice. maybe a lil more.
    12-16-08 01:24 PM
    256 would of been perfect, but 128 seems ridiculous to me in this day and age.
    12-16-08 01:25 PM
    im sure there is something out there like a program/app thats gives you the ability to do that. if you arent going to use the 800 some MB of on-board memory, then put it to good use and adjust it for flash memory or app memory. id hate to see it go to waste
    12-16-08 01:27 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD