With this idea of unlocking the Storm on domestic GSM/EDGE networks by using other carriers SIM cards, just as a questionable theory, I wonder if you could take the Verizon SIM card, and put it in an iPhone, and have it work. I know the iPhone is GSM/EDGE only but, in theory, it should work, no? Just a theory.

What is your opinion? Let's hear your ideas!

PS: Im not an iPhone fanboy, but I'm just questioning the possibilty
    11-28-08 12:41 AM
    I was told that once the iphone was jailbroken.... it could work on VZW. I wasn't about to drop $600 to possibly create a brick.
    11-28-08 12:44 AM
    No, won't work because Verizon is cdma. The sim card is only for when your traveling over seas because they use GSM.
    You would only get EDGE I believe
    Verizon is cdma is the US. You cannot activate a gsm phone on the US Verizon network.
    Verizon is cdma is the US. You cannot activate a gsm phone on the US Verizon network.
    Correct. The iphone will not work on verizon or any cdma betwork.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-28-08 12:46 AM
    However if you sign up for the global plan and put the sim card in the iphone, how is Verizon going to know? Sure its pointless but :\. I don't know if it would work in the united states though.
    11-28-08 12:46 AM
    the verizon sim cards only work outside the u.s. so if u put a verizon sim card inside an iphone it would not work in the u.s.
    11-28-08 12:49 AM
    However if you sign up for the global plan and put the sim card in the iphone, how is Verizon going to know? Sure its pointless but :\. I don't know if it would work in the united states though.
    The Verizon sim will only work overseas.
    11-28-08 12:49 AM

they wont know cause the phone will never connect to anything. verizon has no gsm service in the USA to connect to in the first place. THe only GSM on the airwaves in the USA is from tmobile and at&t (and a few small guys) So basically the phone would not connect to a verizon network cause there is no verizon network to connect to.

overseas verizon has roaming agreements with international carriers that allows you to use their towers to connect to verizons network.

for obvious reasons, verizon has no agreements with USA networks, why would they, theirs is the best already.
    11-28-08 01:16 AM
    the reason why the storm works.. is cause the radio for it is actually in the device... iPhone does not have a radio for cdma..
    11-28-08 01:25 AM
    It works. some poeple in israel unlocked it to work on verizon. There are people i know who have done it... but i don't have the time, and i love my storm and have my ipod touch.
    11-28-08 01:27 AM
    isreal = overseas
    11-28-08 02:52 AM
    It works. some poeple in israel unlocked it to work on verizon. There are people i know who have done it... but i don't have the time, and i love my storm and have my ipod touch.
    It WILL NOT work in the US because Verizon is CDMA ONLY, and they do not own ANY GSM towers in the US. The Storm is unique because it has both a CDMA and GSM radio built in to it for global roaming capabilities (since CDMA is not common in most parts of the world). The iPhone only has a GSM radio, therefore, it will not, under any circumstance, work on the Verizon CDMA network. It's like putting a square peg into a round hole.
    11-28-08 03:04 AM
    You're missing the point: it's not physically possible for the iPhone to work on VZW in the US regardless of your imaginary people know. iPhone does not have CDMA radio capability, and Verizon does not have GSM towers in the US.
    11-28-08 07:40 AM
    Why can't people search the forums because this has already been covered. Even worse case, people don't . read replies in thus thread!

11-28-08 08:14 AM
    Why can't people search the forums because this has already been covered. Even worse case, people don't . read replies in thus thread!

11-28-08 08:15 AM
    Imagine how good the iPhone would be on VZWs network! bring the i Phone to VZW and At&t is DONE and probably so is RIM if Apple could secure the i Phone more for BES users.

11-28-08 08:28 AM
    WTF does this have to do with the Storm. OP this is more worthless than tits on a bull, how about you take this to the Iphone forums, Dimwit.

BOY am I tired of silly Iphone posts in the Storm forum.
    11-28-08 09:04 AM
    there are a couple of vids on youtube showing how to hack the phone to make it run on a cdma frequency or something, could be fake who knows, i dont know enough about it to say, just going on what the vids show. just do a search for iphone working with vzw.
    11-28-08 09:46 AM
    there are a couple of vids on youtube showing how to hack the phone to make it run on a cdma frequency or something, could be fake who knows, i dont know enough about it to say, just going on what the vids show. just do a search for iphone working with vzw.
    What part of physically not capable wasn't clear in the previous posts. This is like saying an AM radio will pick up FM channels just fine.

11-28-08 10:01 AM
    The rumor is Apple is working on a CDMA Iphone and there might be an announcement in January at Macworld. I doubt its true but who knows. They did recently hire people that know CDMA. So if not for a CDMA Iphone then why did they hire them?
    11-28-08 10:03 AM
    It WILL NOT work in the US because Verizon is CDMA ONLY, and they do not own ANY GSM towers in the US. The Storm is unique because it has both a CDMA and GSM radio built in to it for global roaming capabilities (since CDMA is not common in most parts of the world). The iPhone only has a GSM radio, therefore, it will not, under any circumstance, work on the Verizon CDMA network. It's like putting a square peg into a round hole.
    You're missing the point: it's not physically possible for the iPhone to work on VZW in the US regardless of your imaginary people know. iPhone does not have CDMA radio capability, and Verizon does not have GSM towers in the US.
    Verizon does own GSM towers in the US from when they purchased Unicel (Rural Cellular) earlier this year. Verizon has announced they will maintain those towers even if they convert all of Unicel's constomers to CDMA in order to generate roaming revenues.
    11-28-08 10:30 AM
    The rumor is Apple is working on a CDMA Iphone and there might be an announcement in January at Macworld. I doubt its true but who knows. They did recently hire people that know CDMA. So if not for a CDMA Iphone then why did they hire them?
    Yea as many people who say, oh why would Apple ever create a CDMA iPhone, blah blah blah... well VZW already was the second biggest carrier and now with the Alltel merger they will be waaaaay bigger than ATT. Well it would not be that hard to use the iPhone external hardware and just shove some CDMA hardware and radios in it. They hired CDMA engineers so its definitely possible.

If Jobs got his head out of his @$$ and gave the iPhone copy and paste functionality, mms capabilities, and a better camera with video recording capabilities and put it on Verizons network can you say best selling phone ever? That would be arguably the closest to a perfect phone that we could have. Add true push email like BIS/BES and its perfect.

In the mean time I am loving my Storm. Im sorry to hear about everyones problems but my Storm works almost flawlessly.
    11-28-08 10:39 AM
    Yea as many people who say, oh why would Apple ever create a CDMA iPhone, blah blah blah... well VZW already was the second biggest carrier and now with the Alltel merger they will be waaaaay bigger than ATT. Well it would not be that hard to use the iPhone external hardware and just shove some CDMA hardware and radios in it. They hired CDMA engineers so its definitely possible.

If Jobs got his head out of his @$$ and gave the iPhone copy and paste functionality, mms capabilities, and a better camera with video recording capabilities and put it on Verizons network can you say best selling phone ever? That would be arguably the closest to a perfect phone that we could have. Add true push email like BIS/BES and its perfect.

In the mean time I am loving my Storm. Im sorry to hear about everyones problems but my Storm works almost flawlessly.

ALmost . . . in addition to your additions . . it would still need file management and an external battery to be worth it to a business resource who travels and uses their phone for work.
    11-28-08 10:41 AM
32 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD