I'm a new BlackBerry user, just purchased my storm a week and a half ago. I'm already addicted and can't believe I waited so long to get one! As it's the first touch-screen device I've ever owned, I purchased an Invisible Shield to protect the screen.

I installed my shield 2 nights ago, and was really meticulous about trying to prevent the fluid from getting into the cracks around the screen, and left it to dry overnight. However, when I fired the device back up, now there are blotches in the material of the backlight. Per suggestions throughout the forum for water damage, I powered down, removed the battery, and placed the storm in a bag of rice overnight. This morning the screen actually looks WORSE! The water stain spotches have now spread further across the screen and it looks terrible whenever there is white on the screen (ie. every messaging window!)

I know that the invisible shields (and similar protectors) look better over time, but this isn't an issue with fluid under the protector. The fluid damage is actually inside the screen itself! It seems to me that this would have happened if there had been so much as a raindrop to hit the edge of the screen; the seal inside there must be terrible!

I have insurance through Verizon, but I'd rather not pay $50 to replace a device that is not even 2 weeks old. I bought my phone at Best Buy. Any tips on what I could do to remove the splotches, or if you think I could get it replaced by Best Buy within the 30 days? It seems ridiculous that such a small amount of fluid could completely ruin the screen like this so soon!

(also, sorry for the wordiness, I wanted to give you guys and gals all the details!) Thanks in advance!
    01-28-09 01:51 PM
    Yah, you are in the warranty period, so they will replace it without the $50...(just say phone is not responding) ...next time stick some thick pieces of paper in the gap and no water will get in.
    01-28-09 02:42 PM
    Did you squeegee the water out?
    01-28-09 02:51 PM
    The screen is made up of two parts. The touch screen (part you touch) and the LCD. You can search on here some members have easily separated the two. Water might be in there

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-28-09 03:05 PM
    Yah, you are in the warranty period, so they will replace it without the $50...(just say phone is not responding) ...next time stick some thick pieces of paper in the gap and no water will get in.
    Water damage voids the warranty. If the water blotches does not go away, the OP needs to make a insurance claim as they stated.
    01-28-09 03:05 PM
    Did you squeegee the water out?
    Yes, the squeegeeing is what ended up putting the water into the crack and thus the staining.

Water damage voids the warranty. If the water blotches does not go away, the OP needs to make a insurance claim as they stated.
    Yeah, that's what I figured. Just in the past few hours it seems like the stains are shifting towards making the entire backlight "darker" though still functional. Maybe in the next day or two it will completely shift and thus the liquid damage won't be visible. My plan when the receipt and box get here (shipping from home) will be to try Best Buy and see what they say, and if that fails take it to Verizon. I called Zagg and their rep told me that it's an unfortunate situation and I need to take it to Verizon and have them run a "diagnostics check" on the phone and send that check to Zagg for them to "reconsider it." Whatever that means.

Thank you for everyone's quick responses! I've been following the forums for the past couple weeks, and I wish every device I own had a community that is this fantastic!
    01-28-09 04:09 PM
    Yes, the squeegeeing is what ended up putting the water into the crack and thus the staining.

Yeah, that's what I figured. Just in the past few hours it seems like the stains are shifting towards making the entire backlight "darker" though still functional. Maybe in the next day or two it will completely shift and thus the liquid damage won't be visible. My plan when the receipt and box get here (shipping from home) will be to try Best Buy and see what they say, and if that fails take it to Verizon. I called Zagg and their rep told me that it's an unfortunate situation and I need to take it to Verizon and have them run a "diagnostics check" on the phone and send that check to Zagg for them to "reconsider it." Whatever that means.

Thank you for everyone's quick responses! I've been following the forums for the past couple weeks, and I wish every device I own had a community that is this fantastic!
    Yeah give it a couple more days. I once had water get under the screen on a device and after a few days, it was all was good.
    01-28-09 04:10 PM
    Yep, best to make sure it doesn't show water when returning it.
    01-28-09 06:05 PM
    This post is exactly why my Invishield is still sitting on my stove. I am afraid of wrecking my Storm. I need to mail it back to them unless one of you guys want to buy it.
    01-28-09 08:01 PM
    The same thing happened to me. I took it to verizon and they sent me a replacement. When I was cleaning the data off of the "water/glue" damaged storm a few days(4) later, the residue had completely gone away, but I did notice some delay in the clicking of the screen and some other weird things going on. So I stuck with the replacement and didn't put the invisible shield back on the new one.
    01-29-09 12:09 PM
    I have the invisible shield on my storm and have had no problems. I just made sure to place the storm screen side down while drying to prevent leaking into the phone. I also just applied the liquid to the protector and not the screen.
    01-29-09 12:44 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD