I travel to Philippines with my family once in a while and I mostly text there constantly. I was glad that the Verizon Storm has global coverage but the plan is intense in price. Plus it doesn't have text and that alone would be a killer. I don't even know it that price is separate from my current plan. I'm just looking forward for the internet and e-mail access on the Storm while there to keep in my internet about.

I don't mind if I sacrifice the internet and e-mail access. So would you be able to use international prepaid sim card to replace the one the Storm? Anyone tried this, I don't mean just Philippines but any international prepaid sim card. Thanks

- SiDE
    Last edited by SiDE; 04-19-09 at 10:11 PM.
    04-19-09 10:07 PM
    I have used mine with a Roshan sim card successfully. Just make sure you have your phone unlocked.

Also currently Verizon's website is not fully up to date on where you can get data btw. I am currently in another country that is only listed for voice and currently get on the internet with 2gx speeds. Not great but pretty good considering that I'm no where near civilization.
    04-20-09 12:11 AM
    I though that I might have to unlock it. Not doing that anytime soon. If they want to offer global coverage, put out some decent pricing and more plan configuration.

- SiDE
    04-20-09 12:17 AM
    I though that I might have to unlock it. Not doing that anytime soon. If they want to offer global coverage, put out some decent pricing and more plan configuration.

- SiDE
    My understanding is that if you unlock your storm (I unlocked mine free by calling Verizon) you will be able to get a local SIM (Smart or Globe in the Philippines) for phone and texting. If you need data I believe that may also be an option with Smart or Globe, but I have not been able to find much information about it. If you do not unlock the phone, I do not think you can use the local SIM cards...

I am going to the Philippines next week and am hoping it will all work!
    06-16-09 04:36 PM
    As the previous poster stated, get your phone unlocked. Call Verizon and ask for global support. They will help you unlock it for free. Then when you get to the Philippines, just buy a local SIM card. Remove you vodaphone sim card, place the local sim card in. Follow the instructions with the local sim card to activate it and make sure you phone is set to global. If you want data, get the International data plan from Verizon. It's $69.99 a month, but it's prorated for the time you are there. Then when you want to use data, just take out the local sim card, and place the vodaphone card back in.
    06-16-09 07:11 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD