I've had my Storm since 8:30am on the 21st and had been very happy with it. Of course, I've experienced all the same issues that have caused so many complaints: occasional lag on the screen, somewhat over-sensitive accelerometer, etc. Largely, though, none of these issues have felt like deal breakers. Obviously there is a risk involved in early adoption so as long as the device fundamentally worked, I didn't feel any reason to complain, especially since these issues all seemed like they could be resolved with an OS update in the coming weeks.

Well, that has all changed. Starting last night the touch response on my screen has been worse than hit or miss. At first I thought I was experiencing exceptionally long lag. I would need to hold my thumb on an icon for about two seconds before it would glow, but as soon as I clicked it responded. By this morning, the screen was no longer taking any input no matter how long I held my finger in place. This would last for several minutes before the screen would randomly respond and begin working. I had been trying to respond to a message through the BBIM and could get in and open the message and click out a few words and the screen would stop responding.

That is not to say the whole phone was offline. The hard keys still worked, the screen still rotated appropriately, but I could not get any icons, character keys, or menu options to highlight. At first it seemed more pronounced around the edges of the screen (the backspace, space, and A keys on the landscape keyboard for example). Eventually when bringing up the menu with the BB key, the default option would be highlighted as usual, but no amount of screen clicks would select it. Of course, without touch, I couldn't make any other selections in the menu.

I have installed and deleted a few programs since getting the Storm and so I will try doing a fresh instal of the OS tonight. I've also tried a few other more esoteric things in the mean time like removing the phone from the silicone cover, taking off the screen protector, etc. None of these has resulted in more consistent response.

I was willing to overlook the little bugs that shipped with the phone because it was still a functional device. That is no longer the case and if the OS restore does not fix things I'll be going back to my old dumb phone and writing off the touch screen experiment for good.

Has anyone else experienced intermittent failure with their touch screen?
    11-26-08 12:24 PM
    Oh god, that's a novel up there. No one's gonna read all that!
    11-26-08 12:53 PM
    Thanks for the post DigbyT, I registered just to reply.

I am having the exact same problem, even after pulling the battery. I'd love to hear how the re-install works for you.

I overall love the phone but am disappointed by the glitchiness of it, as a frequent early adopter I understand that it's part of the game. I hope a number of the operation aberrations are cleared up in an update.

Is it just me or do you have to be holding the phone for the Touchscreen to work? The iphone and touch are responsive while sitting on a surface, but my phone does not respond unless I am holding it, why is this?
    11-26-08 01:15 PM
    I started experiencing those exact symptoms today too...
    11-26-08 01:20 PM
    Over the last several hours while pretending to work (Sorry people who need to go on LOA, tomorrow is a holiday and I've got phone issues!) I have been trying to isolate as many situational variables as I can. I have tested in hand, with and without a silicone cover. I have tested on my desk surface, again with and without the silicone cover. I've tried in hand with and without a screen protector (note: before I began having this problem my Storm had both the factory screen protector and a VSW protector and performance seemed more than adequate). I've tried with the battery cover on and off, as well as using a bit of paper inside. I even went so far as to type one handed with my free hand holding a grounded piece of metal. None of this has resulted in any notable change in performance.

I will update this thread tonight after I've completed my OS refresh and probably again tomorrow morning.
    11-26-08 01:32 PM
    For the record my Touchscreen settings are (100/100/6)
    11-26-08 01:35 PM
    I would post my screen settings as well, but I can't scroll down far enough to get to the settings icon...not that I'd be able to select it any way. I do know that I tweaked them to be slightly more sensitive than the factory defaults.
    11-26-08 02:24 PM
    By the time I got home I realized my screen was no longer intermittently unusable. It now only functions for about 30 seconds after a restart cycle. I am no longer willing to put any effort what so ever into trying to fix RIM/VZW's problems. This Storm is going back on Friday. I guess I'll just wait for the iPhone or the Bold to hit VZW and go from there.
    11-26-08 10:04 PM
    OK, this might actually **** me off even more than the total failure. My storm is working fine. I was packing up the box in preparation to return it on Friday (and oh how I was looking forward to dealing with a return on Black Friday) when lo and behold, the screen is a quick and responsive as it was the day I bought it. In fact, I think the home screen icons may actually respond with a bit less lag.

I suppose this is a sign that I should hold out until next week to see if the first firmware update makes any difference in the overall stability. I certainly can't seem to count on it be demonstrably inoperable when I bring it in for a return!
    11-27-08 12:12 PM
    Same mixed bag usage issues on responsiveness. Im not very technical, but Im going to stick it out there that the lag and OS references everyone is throwing around might be "mixed" with straightforward hardware issues. If this were OS why does it suddenly not let you type out letters on the key board but will let you escape out of the screen immediately or perform other functions with quick response.

The vertically oriented keyboard is a nightmare for me. Between the intermittent responding and nuances with running it... wow.

Like any computer couldn't it have software issues not related to OS where certain combinations of actions are causing issues separate/apart from OS "lag".

Im willing to perform one official update from BB/Verizon, but will bail in a flash if it isn't materially better soon. Let them hammer this out for a couple months and repurchase. I never first adopt, but wanted in on this

This might be obvious to everyone, but it's smelling (feeling) like they threw it out to market to not miss the T-Giving revenue knowing that first adopters would be more tolerant of updates and getting it stabilized.
    11-27-08 12:30 PM
    OK, this might actually **** me off even more than the total failure. My storm is working fine. I was packing up the box in preparation to return it on Friday (and oh how I was looking forward to dealing with a return on Black Friday) when lo and behold, the screen is a quick and responsive as it was the day I bought it. In fact, I think the home screen icons may actually respond with a bit less lag.

I suppose this is a sign that I should hold out until next week to see if the first firmware update makes any difference in the overall stability. I certainly can't seem to count on it be demonstrably inoperable when I bring it in for a return!
    Wow, that's odd. But hey, at least your phone works again.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-27-08 12:32 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD