A few days ago, my VZW rep and I were exchanging emails. Among the items we discussed were the soon-to-be released (hopefully) new Storm OS and the Niagara.

Here's part of what I wrote. I guess you could call it a brief history of the Storm.

"I�ve done a lot of research and talked to a lot of people about the Storm on my own these past few months. I�ve uncovered a few interesting things I want to share, though you may know all this already. Maybe you can confirm a few things

When the Storm was launched on 11/21, it was released with the 4.7.0.65 operating system. 4.7.0.65 was so horrible that Verizon approved and released 4.7.0.75, less than a month later, on December 5th. The .75 OS, which is installed on every Storm here at XXXX, is stable. However, it�s slow, laggy and prone to memory leaks. No offense but even the most current versions of VZ Navigator and Visual Voicemail are a little hoggish and don�t exactly help with the memory issue.

So far, .75 is only software enhancement officially approved and released by Verizon. Unofficial enhancements are another story. There are plenty on the Internet, the most prominent of which are the beta Storm OS�s. These test OS�s, not meant for public consumption, have been leaked by someone at Verizon, RIM or at a RIM partner steadily since mid-January.

The most current beta available (that is any good) is v. 4.7.0.113. Let me tell you, the difference is night and day, even with VZ Navigator and Visual VM. Not only is the Accelerometer, which is responsible for the screen switching from portrait to landscape, much faster, the typing lag is completely gone and applications are a lot quicker. Other features in .113 include a full QWERTY keyboard in portrait mode, a much improved copy/paste feature and a slightly better battery life. The memory leak has improved as well but is nowhere near the minimum it should be."

All of that was basically regurgitated from CB and my own experiences. There's no new insight for anyone there. After that last email was sent, I didn't think too much of it.

Today, I got an email from my rep. She didn't say anything concrete, but said her data team would like to meet with me and "do a capabilities meeting with you to talk about our data, our future Blackberry line-up, etc." Before this meeting (which hasn't been set up yet), I have to sign an NDA.

Sooooo...what do you guys make of that sudden turn of events? Any thoughts?

I'll keep all of you posted. Well, as much as I can without breaking a legal agreement.
    03-30-09 01:39 PM
    yea, VZW reps usually are not famous for their knowledge..
    03-30-09 01:40 PM
    yea, VZW reps usually are not famous for their knowledge..
    I know..But I'm just wondering, what are they going to tell me or show me if I have to sign something
    03-30-09 01:43 PM
    Count, if you make .113 official i'll never share another smoke with you again. You understand me son?
    03-30-09 01:43 PM
    Count, if you make .113 official i'll never share another smoke with you again. You understand me son?
    LOL..NOOOO...I would not let that happen...
    03-30-09 01:44 PM
    Interesting to say the least but only time will tell .....

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-30-09 01:46 PM
    Engadget Mobile: "We've been able to confirm that Verizon currently plans to release version 4.7.0.113 as its next official Storm firmware build" as of 2:21 today...check it out
    03-30-09 01:50 PM
    sounds like they want to touch your storm... my first thought was that they havn't seen a beta o/s up that far... maybe the last one they have is the .8 series or .9 series. its just a thought. I find it highly unlikely. but i belive its pretty clear they want to see your device and see how it runs. Or they want your advice on whether or not their latest build is good enough for release. They probably want a real world opinion on their latest build, to see if its " worthy" enough to be released to the public. (are the downfalls of o/s.XXX lesser than the downfalls of .75 to have the public update their devices and be happier). well i wish you luck with your meeting. hopefully this lights a fire under their *** to get a new o/s out. (not that it helps me lol)

oh and if they do show you some thing please stick by the NDA and not leak it, cause their likely to **** can a early release if you leak it out. seeing is how they know where to look (crackberry)
    03-30-09 01:51 PM
    I would definitely like to be a "fly on the wall" for this meeting....
    03-30-09 01:52 PM
    They want to sell you a Hub.
    03-30-09 01:52 PM
    sounds like they want to touch your storm... my first thought was that they havn't seen a beta o/s up that far... maybe the last one they have is the .8 series or .9 series. its just a thought. I find it highly unlikely. but i belive its pretty clear they want to see your device and see how it runs. Or they want your advice on whether or not their latest build is good enough for release. They probably want a real world opinion on their latest build, to see if its " worthy" enough to be released to the public. (are the downfalls of o/s.XXX lesser than the downfalls of .75 to have the public update their devices and be happier). well i wish you luck with your meeting. hopefully this lights a fire under their *** to get a new o/s out. (not that it helps me lol)

oh and if they do show you some thing please stick by the NDA and not leak it, cause their likely to **** can a early release if you leak it out. seeing is how they know where to look (crackberry)
    I take NDAs very seriously so if they give me something you guys won't see it. Sorry.
    03-30-09 01:54 PM
    A "capabilities meeting" is usually code talk for somebody wanting to do a face-to-face corporate sales pitch. Write back asking why the need for NDA and if it pertains to just corporate plan rates that will be discussed and/or if it covers discussions about unreleased product details. My bet is the NDA is for just the pricing plans that will come up.
    03-30-09 01:55 PM
    he said future blackberry devices so its more than likely pertaining to the 9630, and did anyone check out the engadget site holy F*** thats a long list of fixes LOL

Verizon counting on build 113 for its next Storm firmware release, changelog leaked
    03-30-09 01:58 PM
    Please make sure they understand that .113 should not be the next official release. If it's not too late...

03-30-09 01:59 PM
    haha well now that you posted what you said to them VERBATIM you better hope they dont look at these boards. Also might want to NOT post any information under your current name you get from them if you do sign an NDA.

watch out for liquidated damages clauses in the NDA (e.g. if you breach this you will owe us $50k per breach, etc). If youre not comfortable agreeing to something, then don't.
    03-30-09 02:01 PM
    A "capabilities meeting" is usually code talk for somebody wanting to do a face-to-face corporate sales pitch. Write back asking why the need for NDA and if it pertains to just corporate plan rates that will be discussed and/or if it covers discussions about unreleased product details. My bet is the NDA is for just the pricing plans that will come up.
    Not too sure about that..she's bringing her "data team" with her.

Would be awesome if I got a Niagara hands-on.
    03-30-09 02:02 PM
    haha well now that you posted what you said to them VERBATIM you better hope they dont look at these boards. Also might want to NOT post any information under your current name you get from them if you do sign an NDA.

watch out for liquidated damages clauses in the NDA (e.g. if you breach this you will owe us $50k per breach, etc). If youre not comfortable agreeing to something, then don't.
    Anything I said in that email is common knowledge. If I start spewing details of the meeting afterwards, then I'm in trouble
    03-30-09 02:04 PM
    03-30-09 02:06 PM
    Maybe the .113 we got leaked wasn't the actual release? Is this possible??
    03-30-09 02:13 PM
    Dumb question what is NDA?

03-30-09 02:19 PM
    I'd bet you'll be shown specs and pics of unreleased handsets. **** if you're lucky they may just let you play around with one hands-on. I say go for it and check it out. NDA's are only scary if you plan on spilling your beans I say its worth it.

03-30-09 02:21 PM

Non-disclosure agreement. Basically a legal paper that binds you to keep inside info secret until they say its ok to talk about it. Breach of nda may result in stiff legal penalties like heavy fines

03-30-09 02:24 PM

No Discussy Atall
    03-30-09 02:38 PM
    Had a similar thing a few months back... they called it a Roadmap, but basically we looked at projects I had up and coming and they told me what they had in the pipeline to facilitate those projects. I had my normal Rep but also the Regional Manager and a Rep from the Data side. They talked about the next gen of the network (which in knowledge now) new hardware and at the time the Storm.. This was late November, but to be honest these guys don't no many specifics only high level, big picture stuff. The only things they told me that there were questions about was Pricing on the Storm and unlocked GPS this was the only info they had that was "useful".

Hopefully you get a lot juicy titbits for the Crackberry Nation

Good luck..!!!
    03-30-09 03:10 PM

Non Disclosure Agreement
    03-30-09 03:12 PM
31 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD