For the first time since November, I took a good, hard look at my Verizon bill and noticed that I wasn't getting charged for insurance, even though I had asked for it at the time (got the phone from Best Buy. They asked if I wanted "Geek Squad" insurance for $9.99/month, and I declined, saying the $4.99 Verizon insurance would do. They said no problem.)

So Verizon says, "Take it up with Best Buy."

I call Best buy, they tell me to pull up my contract and see if it's on there. Nope. Says "Declined insurance - $." They tell me since it's past the initial 30 days (or whatever), I have to take it up with Verizon.

Now, here's my question. I know when I bring it to Verizon they are gonna check the phone and make sure I'm not just trying to throw insurance on a busted phone. However, I'm running OS .86. So I should do a wipe and downgrade, correct? Also, doing that "loosening the screws" trick (which never worked for me, by the way. The felt sticker works much better), I ripped the red sticker that covers one of screws. It's just a tiny piece missing. I'd say 75% of the sticker is still in tact. If they ask about it, I plan on saying something like, "Do you know how hard it is to remove that memory card?"

Anyone have any suggestions? Do I need to bother downgrading? How intensely are they going to inspect my phone? Is the red sticker a dead giveaway?
    01-16-09 12:34 PM
    I think if you take it to a Verizon corporate store...they will glance at your phone and make sure it works. I doubt the tech will go into an intense inspection of it.
    01-16-09 12:39 PM
    Verizon won't bother looking at your phone--they will NOT add insurance after 15 days.
    01-16-09 01:41 PM
    Verizon won't bother looking at your phone--they will NOT add insurance after 15 days.
    I agree they won't give you insurance after 15 days. I think that is the policy of the insurance carrier not Verizon and they have no control.
    01-16-09 01:57 PM
    I bought my phone on December 16, activated it on the 19, called 16 or 17 days after the 19 and still was able to purchase insurance. I don't know if it is 15 business days, though, because then I would have been within the time frame.
    01-16-09 02:01 PM
    When you get Storm insurance from Best Buy it will not show on your Verizon bill; it gets charged automatically monthly off a debit/credit card you gave them, possibly the one you used to pay for the phone with.
    01-16-09 02:02 PM
    When you get Storm insurance from Best Buy it will not show on your Verizon bill; it gets charged automatically monthly off a debit/credit card you gave them, possibly the one you used to pay for the phone with.
    As OP stated, he declined Best Buy's warranty and wanted Verizons. OP looked at his bill and noticed that the $4.99 VZ warranty was not charged to his account even though he wanted it

OP: Did you call VZ stating that you wanted it or did you assume that Best Buy would add it on for you.
    01-16-09 02:09 PM

Now, here's my question. I know when I bring it to Verizon they are gonna check the phone and make sure I'm not just trying to throw insurance on a busted phone. However, I'm running OS .86. So I should do a wipe and downgrade, correct? Also, doing that "loosening the screws" trick (which never worked for me, by the way. The felt sticker works much better), I ripped the red sticker that covers one of screws. It's just a tiny piece missing. I'd say 75% of the sticker is still in tact. If they ask about it, I plan on saying something like, "Do you know how hard it is to remove that memory card?"

Anyone have any suggestions? Do I need to bother downgrading? How intensely are they going to inspect my phone? Is the red sticker a dead giveaway?
    If you are doing an insurance claim, it doesn't matter if the warranty is voided or not. You could completely lose your phone and still file a claim.
    01-16-09 02:23 PM
    If you are doing an insurance claim, it doesn't matter if the warranty is voided or not. You could completely lose your phone and still file a claim.
    He'll have a tough time doing an insurance claim without insurance.
    01-16-09 02:29 PM
    Something told me to check my plan a few days after I received my phone to see if I had insurance and it wasn't added so I immediately called them and had it added.
    01-16-09 02:34 PM
    He'll have a tough time doing an insurance claim without insurance.
    Just answering the question he asked.
    01-16-09 02:35 PM
    Just answering the question he asked.
    He meant will voiding the warranty keep him from being able to add insurance. It's moot as he is past his 15 day window.

It can't hurt to see if they can add it, but the policy is clear that it has to be within 15 days.
    01-16-09 02:41 PM
    This is a tough one. When I had my Razr some years ago, the thing broke...didn't see that one coming but I was in the same boat as you, they had failed to charge me the $4.99 monthly fee (about six months). Needless to say I was peed. I finally worked it out by saying I would just pay the back insurance that they had failed to charge me and they let me replace the phone and put the insurance on the plan where it was supposed ot be...went through about six of those pieces of junk, might help might not...good luck
    01-16-09 02:49 PM
    OP: Did you call VZ stating that you wanted it or did you assume that Best Buy would add it on for you.
    I told the VZ Rep I had asked for insurance but they never processed it. She said to call Best Buy because she couldn't do anything about that.

Called the Best Buy rep, he said once it's past 30 days there's nothing they can do. It's in Verizon's hands.

Basically, I'm going to a Verizon Corporate. Just wondering what precautionary measures I should take.
    Last edited by clockvstrain; 01-16-09 at 03:41 PM. Reason: save room in thread
    01-16-09 03:27 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD