Whats everyones opinion about this?

I never buy insurance for anything electronic since im only keeping it for 2 years max but this phones expensive

thoughts?
    11-13-08 08:32 AM
    I've never bought insurance for a phone, but I'm thinking this will be a good time to start.
    11-13-08 08:34 AM
    What's the insurance cost ike 5-7 bucks? Then the price you pay to get a replacement is like 50? I think it's cheaper than your alternative if you lose/break the phone and need to buy a brand new one.
    11-13-08 08:35 AM
    I have insurance on my Curve and will definately keep it for the Storm. It comes in handy if you loose the phone or break it. You only pay like $50 to get it repaced instead of having to pay full retail for a new one if you are not eligible for an upgrade.
    11-13-08 08:36 AM
    I normally don't either but I do with smart phones. They tend to be abused more than my TV or computer (daily usage) and if I drop it one time, it could be the end. The monthly insurance amount along with the deductible gives me piece-of-mind in case my wife decides to run over her BRAND NEW BB�AGAIN!!
    11-13-08 08:37 AM
    I ALWAYS get insurance on my smartphones! 5 bucks a month, then 50 bucks to replace a 500-700 dollar device! U do the math!!!!!!!!!

I never buy insurance for anything electronic since im only keeping it for 2 years max but this phones expensive

thoughts?
    My pearl was the first phone I ever got it for, warranty normally covers the year I actually own it, but it doesn't cover water, or theft. I realized when I got my pearl that all the information it held was not only stuff I needed to live, but stuff I needed to function at work... so i'll be picking it up for the storm also, it's some cheap piece of mind...
    i always get insurence on my smartphones, for what the 4 bucks a month? its very much so worth it to have a 50 dollar deductible than pay 500+ for a replacement. I've known people who after a year or so, file their insurence claim on it and then sell the old one for parts, since it can't be activated anymore. Can't say whether or not I agree with the but hey it's an option i guess
    11-13-08 08:42 AM
    heres a good reason i had a verizon type v g zone i lost it last month had insurance called in reported it lost paid my 50.00 they said they where sending my a replacement a boulder there newest model i was shock so yes its worth it
    ps nice icon fonebrkr lol
    My pearl was the first phone I ever got it for, warranty normally covers the year I actually own it, but it doesn't cover water, or theft. I realized when I got my pearl that all the information it held was not only stuff I needed to live, but stuff I needed to function at work... so i'll be picking it up for the storm also, it's some cheap piece of mind...
    HA! Not only that, your CB member name leads us to believe you have butter fingers!!
    Ins always; never leave home without.
    Especially with a smart phone.
    A nooooooo brainer.
    11-13-08 08:49 AM

thoughts?
    DO IT! $5.99 a month & $50 deductible is a no-brainer, especially for the Storm! The manufacturer's warranty only covers mechanical defects, not damage, water, or accidents. The storm is about $520 full-retail; imagine coughing that up because of a cracked screen or some water...
    11-13-08 08:53 AM
    So... You get insurance... Pay every month... and then you have to pay again to get a replacement? I would feel so f....d!!
    I pay a few bucks every month and if I break my phone it will be send in for repairs and I get a temp. replacement for the time being, if it can't be fixed I'll get a new one, no questions asked.
    Same with if it get's stolen or it gets lost or something.
    What's the point of having insurance when you still have to pay to get a new one? Sounds strange to me...
    11-13-08 08:54 AM
    no offense but do you not understand how insurance works??
    11-13-08 08:56 AM
    how is it strange benjie, you pay homeowners insurance and car insurance every month and if something happens you pay a deductible
    11-13-08 09:01 AM
    I think insurance is different out here in the Netherlands then... No deductables of any kind. For example, my bike was stolen a few years ago, had an insurance. Reported the theft to the police, sent the report to the insurance company, got money to buy a new bike, sent them a copy of the receipt, done!

I guess it works different in the US
    11-13-08 09:20 AM
    Phone Insurance in the UK is a complete rip-off. You pay �8/mth = �96 per annum! The phone is probably already covered under your personal items cover on your household insurance, and if not you simply add it as a specified item for a lot less than �96 extra. Also I tried to claim once for a phone I failed to pick up from the x-ray machine at the airport and the insurance company refused to pay up as they didn't classify this as 'lost' - they said I had 'left it unattended in a public place'. I am still not sure how else you 'lose' something?!
    11-13-08 10:00 AM
    So... You get insurance... Pay every month... and then you have to pay again to get a replacement? I would feel so f....d!!
    I pay a few bucks every month and if I break my phone it will be send in for repairs and I get a temp. replacement for the time being, if it can't be fixed I'll get a new one, no questions asked.
    Same with if it get's stolen or it gets lost or something.
    What's the point of having insurance when you still have to pay to get a new one? Sounds strange to me...
    like I said, manufacturer warranty rocks out for defects for a year, BUT if you drop your phone in the toilet, it gets stolen, you run it over with your car, or have any other self inflicted wound, your SOL. Retail on these will probably run in the $500 range, or for $6 a month and a $50 deductable you can get one 2nd day aired to you no questions asked.
    If it was a razr, then no it's not worth it, you can get a vzw dumbphone off of craigslist cheap, but BB's tend to become pretty important to staying organized after you have them for a very short time.
    11-13-08 10:01 AM
    I dont buy extended warrantees, BUT, this covers breakage/lost. So for me its worth it

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-13-08 10:04 AM
    2 years of insurance = $120 plus any deductible.

Break your phone once and you just payed for a brand new phone 2 years from now. So your paying nearly $200 for a refirb.
    Never break or lose your phone and you just spent $120 for peace of mind.

What I would think about doing is paying for insurance for the first few months or perhaps half a year while the device is still very expensive and then cancel it. I'd only do this if I really needed the peace of mind.

I think the main thing to remember is that if you can't take care of your gadgets you lose either way.
    11-13-08 10:27 AM
    forget how insurance works, do you know how the phone company works?!?

once you get the phone, if you drop it and it breaks or lose it, etc., then you pay FULL RETAIL on a replacement phone.

So if you got whichever phone on a NE2 or 1yr or 2yr upgrade, and paid $50-$200 for it, check out what a replacement costs!

A simple flip phone is $100+! Unless you have a simple flip phone for your regular phone, and you have kept your last one in case you lose this one, expect to pay $500+ for a PDA (treo, blackberry, htc) replacement phone.

The $50 cost is cheap! If you are getting a Storm, curve, pearl, etc., spend the $5/mo!
    11-13-08 10:44 AM
    If you have an American Express card (I can only speak to Gold and higher, but this is probably true for others) and you buy something with the card, they double the manufacturer's warranty for up to 1 additional year worth up to $1,000. They also have a 90-day policy where, no questions asked, if it is lost, stolen, or you break it, they replace it. Finally, you can return anything you buy on the card for up to 90 days. If the store will not take it back, AmEx refunds your money and you keep the product. It's all free as part of being an AmEx customer.

Does anyone have any experience with this and a phone? I think I will use that as my 'insurance' and plan on not losing it.
    11-13-08 11:24 AM
    Does anyone know the EXACT price insurance will be on the storm?

I seem to recall in recent years hearing that smart phone insurance plans were increasing to a $9/month+$100 deductable rate but i can't recall the carrier they were referring to.
    11-13-08 12:13 PM
    Does anyone know the EXACT price insurance will be on the storm?

I seem to recall in recent years hearing that smart phone insurance plans were increasing to a $9/month+$100 deductable rate but i can't recall the carrier they were referring to.
    That's AT$T's rate.
    VZW is $5.99 and a $50 deductable..
    11-13-08 12:29 PM
55 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD