i only have vibandring, quickpull, and captureit
    01-06-09 12:13 AM
    i only have vibandring, quickpull, and captureit
    Booooriiiiing.....

I have about 15 (maybe more) or so 3rd party apps installed and about the same in launchers. Some of my apps are trials that will be deleted, some I plan on keeping. Sure, I've had a few incidences of eating up all my memory, but that is more rare than the norm. Not sure what ate it up. My suspicion is that using it as a "phone" is what did it. Most of the time I avg around 28-32MB free. I've also seen my memory go up and down in between resets.

I don't pride myself on how much free memory I have. What's the point in having it if not to use it? (not meant to be a knock on you Don) My phone is my mini PC on the go; something for me to experiment and play with. I guess I should try to think of it as a communication device, which it is, but it is also fulfills my techie needs to keep me happy. If this phone worked flawlessly I don't think I would be as happy with it. (I'm an IT Sys Admin and I get bored easily without something to fix or new technology to keep me going in this crazy field.)

Next app on the lookout for: a good (cheap?) RDP client

/offmysoapbox
    01-06-09 12:28 PM
    i get bored with stuff and thats all i have on my phone at the moment...

i didn't like the myspace or facebook interfaces...so i deleted them.

2 days use, at 54.7 mb now...up from last time
    01-06-09 01:26 PM
    hahah 39-44 ???? i have 60 after fresh pull and by end of day its 52 mb , not bad , not bad at all.. and yes i did same as OP besides a little more cleaning lol, but after doing 911 only you get a pretty significant battery boost .
    What is 911? I have 9500 here in the uk. How can I get the battery boost?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-06-09 06:35 PM
    How about "Windows Live Messenger"? What is this app for? Anyone remove it?

01-06-09 06:46 PM
    WOW, I don't have any 3rd party apps, and fresh battery pull nets me about 35-39mb's. This is after doing a mem clean and deleting all my email. I just don't get how some are getting 45-50mb. Can you all that have the high memory available let us know how you are getting it??
    Last edited by gordohigh; 01-11-09 at 06:52 PM.
    01-11-09 06:31 PM
    Windows live messenger is MSN.

01-11-09 06:48 PM
    running Myspace..Yahoo...50-100 sms a day,5-10mms a day...youtube,an hour of wordmole a day,running .75 havent pulled battery or turned off in over a week and im sitting at 47.6mb guess i got a good one?!?!?!?!
    01-11-09 06:58 PM
    so i signed up for vzn nav. to use for a trip and didn't care for it at all compared to a garmin i used last year... i'm deleting it!
    01-11-09 07:14 PM
    16.1 before deleting facebook, myspace and vzn nav and now i have 34.5... woooo hooooo!
    01-11-09 07:19 PM
    i went on a deleting spree! i also deleted rhapsody and password keeper and the voicemail thing that i will never use.. up to 39.0mb
    01-11-09 07:55 PM
    When i had .65 and .75 my memory would consitantly be around 8 or 9mb, and a lot of the time i checked it, it was 0kb...wtf????

I was always checking my apps running and nothing more than the 5 or 6 apps that constantly run like phone and messages. What is the deal with that?

I did upgrade to .85 and now it hovers around 20mb but usually drops after 4 or 5 days without a battery pull. So verizon is sending me a new phone, and i am having problems with the screen so its not just the memory.
    im running .75 and it was down to like 4 today so i did a bat pull and now im at 34 so ill see how long it stays up there, my screen is fine, should i talk to verizon though about the memory leak??
    01-11-09 08:00 PM
    It's been three days since a batt pull and at 46.1mb but then again I only have Weatherbug, Youtube, and Quick Pull.

01-11-09 08:36 PM
    Best way to avoid memory leaks is to
    1.backup
    2.wipe
    3. restore

This should be done at least every 8 weeks.
    Blackberry's have a lot of advanced functions associated with their operating systems, and they require maintainence, just like a server or a DAW. Fragmented memory from installed applications cause freezes and and memeory leaks.
    01-11-09 08:51 PM
    While I agree with everyone that the memory leaks are a real pain, I have solved the problem by using a memory manager program (I prefer MemoryUp). It allows you to set the amount of memory before it cleans the crap out. I have been using this for over a year (on my other BB), and I moved it to the Storm with no problems. It is a very good app. The company provides great support. What more can you ask for? 73
    01-11-09 09:55 PM
    I want to share a tweak with you guys.. Before this tweak I would get 14 hours from my battery and at least 2 batt pulls a day because of the memory leaks. The memory leaks that would force me into the 5-6 minute restart, hoping not to get the Verizon splash of death, was going to lead me to return this phone. Anyway, this tweak has gotten rid of the memory leaks for me and the battery has 5 bars after 10 hours of uptime. Amazing!

Here�s what I did: First, I deleted Verizon�s rhapsody and navigator using app loader. Second I set the GPS to 911 only. I have all my other app running normally and this baby hasn�t gone under 30mb yet, which by now I would have pulled the battery at least once.

This is working for me, and I hope that it works for a lot of other people because the forced batt pulls because of the memory leaks was making me hate the phone. Especially when you may have to do 3 pulls to get past the splash screen of death, this would be almost 20 minutes lost just waiting for a phone to reboot, ridiculous.. Hope this tweak works for you guys in the same boat as me, I am loving this phone again!!!
    what app loader are you using to deleate these programs
    01-12-09 10:11 PM
    Old news, but all those configs are key to maximizing battery life. Try also decreasing the backlight timeout to 10 or 20 seconds.
    01-12-09 10:44 PM
    How exactly do you set GPS for 911 only and will you have to un-do that in order to take advantage of Google Maps location finder?
    01-13-09 03:30 AM
    Old news, but all those configs are key to maximizing battery life. Try also decreasing the backlight timeout to 10 or 20 seconds.
    And reducing the backlight brightness. Even reducing it to 50 will bring about a marked increase in battery life. I have mine running at 30.
    01-13-09 05:54 AM
    This is all well and good but I use the Navigator program... I did however remove Raphsody cause I sync with my playlists on iTunes.... Now that the phone has been in use for several weeks it seems to be giving me regular results.... memory stays around 30M and battery lasts at least all day depending on use of course...
    01-13-09 06:36 AM
    thanks for the tip!
    01-13-09 06:59 AM
    Dealing with app memory, I've recently got the storm and updated it to the storm 2 software. I dont know much about blackberrys in general however i see everyone has around 25-40mb of application memory available. I hardly have any applications on mine, ive pulled the battery multiple times and i cant get my app memory to over 15mb ever. Can somebody shoot me some advice? thanks!
    02-15-10 06:50 PM
    Dealing with app memory, I've recently got the storm and updated it to the storm 2 software. I dont know much about blackberrys in general however i see everyone has around 25-40mb of application memory available. I hardly have any applications on mine, ive pulled the battery multiple times and i cant get my app memory to over 15mb ever. Can somebody shoot me some advice? thanks!
    I would suggest looking at the 9500/9530 hybrids, they are usually quite good and OOAK's hybrids usually come with tools such as BBSAK to back up your apps and Shrink OS to take out other junk that you dont need to increase more app mem. Im running .484 hybrid by OOAK and its the fastest software i've used on my storm with 42mb at boot.
    02-15-10 07:13 PM
    Same story here, I use Aerize optimizer and Quick Pull. My memory never ever goes above 15MB.
    02-15-10 07:40 PM
74 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD