Well the only way to learn to do something is to try it...

I'm not good with computers but I decided to try to install Lyricidal's hybrid. I found a recent forum post with with the links and instructions. Its 11:50 here and i'm lost.
    So far...
    As per his instructions, I'm running .148 now so i downloaded .148 to my computer and also the all in one installer. I ran the installer and shink-a-OS afterward. I chose what i didn't want and hit launch loader. That did its thing and now i don't know what do now.

Any help is greatly aprecciated.

thanks!
    08-09-09 10:51 PM
    Now you insert the BB and your computer should recognize it.
    Press the next button, then it should prompt you for a few things.
    Will recognize it needs an upgrade and it should start.

Hope that helps.
    08-10-09 06:41 AM
    I don't understand why would start a new thread for this instead of going to lyrics thread where I'm sure you got the hybrid from?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-10-09 06:58 AM
    I don't understand why would start a new thread for this instead of going to lyrics thread where I'm sure you got the hybrid from?

I'm sorry to inconvenience everyone. I checked out all the instructions I could find but could never seem to make sense of them. I just needed someone asap to help me understand what I'm doing. But again I appologise.

08-10-09 07:14 AM
    Ok there's a couple things here...First of all if you are installing his latest hybrid it's based off of .151. So if you want the best experience I would uninstall all other OS's off of your computer through Add/Remove computers. They show up as "Blackberry Device Software". Then find .151 on here, download the .exe file, and install to your computer. Connect blackberry to your computer. Now install the hybrid to the computer by downloading Lyric's .exe file and running it. At the end of the hybrid install Shrink-A-OS automatically opens. Go ahead and shrink the OS. I thought Loader.exe automatically opens as well at the end of hybrid install, but if it does not, from the Shrink-A-OS screen click "Launch Loader.exe". Now Loader.exe will take you through installing the new OS onto your Blackberry.
    Last edited by jlawler4; 08-11-09 at 07:29 AM.
    08-10-09 07:52 AM
    I'm gonna move this on over to Storm OS Discussions. Please continue to help my fellow Philadelphian.
    08-10-09 08:06 AM
    I'm sorry to inconvenience everyone. I checked out all the instructions I could find but could never seem to make sense of them. I just needed someone asap to help me understand what I'm doing. But again I appologise.

It's not an inconvenience, it would just make more sense that if you're having trouble with Lyric's hybrid you should post in his thread lol. But no worries, we're always willing to help
    08-10-09 08:10 AM
    [QUOTE=amavit;3300617]It's not an inconvenience, it would just make more sense that if you're having trouble with Lyric's hybrid you should post in his thread lol. But no worries, we're always willing to help [/QUOTE

Haha. That does make a lot more sense huh? I guess I figured more people would see my post that late at night in the storm forums. but thanks for the tip. I'll definitely remember that next time. Thanks!

08-10-09 10:04 AM
    Ok there's a couple things here...First of all if you are installing his latest hybrid it's based off of .151. So if you want the best experience I would uninstall all other OS's off of your computer through Add/Remove computers. They show up as "Blackberry Device Software". Then find .151 on here and download and install. Connect blackberry before next installing the hybrid, so that when AppLoader gets launched we will be sure it will find the device. Shrink, and then follow the prompts in AppLoader.

Ok I so I need to remove .148 from my computer and install .151. now you said to download and install it, do you mean just on the computer and not the phone? I had my phone plugged in but did not see any prompts after the app loader finished. I don't have to uninstall .148 from my phone right?
    This stuff is so confusing. Haha.

08-10-09 10:47 AM
    Now you insert the BB and your computer should recognize it.
    Press the next button, then it should prompt you for a few things.
    Will recognize it needs an upgrade and it should start.

Hope that helps.
    Any time I plug my phone in the computer reads it as a removable disk. Is that what you mean by it will recognize it? And are you saying that just by having a newer OS on my computer it should prompt me to install it?
    Thanks.

08-10-09 10:50 AM
    Joe, I edited my post above and answered all of your questions I believe. Sorry for the late response...I'll subscribe by instant email so now when you post I'll immediately see it.
    08-11-09 07:27 AM
    Joe, I edited my post above and answered all of your questions I believe. Sorry for the late response...I'll subscribe by instant email so now when you post I'll immediately see it.
    No need to appologise, your helping me out. I think I have the process right... I save .151 and the all in one installer on my computer. I run the installer and afterwards shrink-a-os comes up and I choose my preferences. I wasn't sure what it was asking at the top so I checked the box instead of hitting browse. (I'm sorry I'm at work and can't remember what it said) so I plug in my phone and hit launch loader and I go through a few prompts and says it was successfull. But it did nothing to my phone. I have to be missing something.
    Thanks again.

08-11-09 08:01 AM
    No need to appologise, your helping me out. I think I have the process right... I save .151 and the all in one installer on my computer. I run the installer and afterwards shrink-a-os comes up and I choose my preferences. I wasn't sure what it was asking at the top so I checked the box instead of hitting browse. (I'm sorry I'm at work and can't remember what it said) so I plug in my phone and hit launch loader and I go through a few prompts and says it was successfull. But it did nothing to my phone. I have to be missing something.
    Thanks again.
    Hmm that all sounds right except the part where it did nothing to your phone haha. Yes check the box on top, no need to browse. The only thing I can think of is to make sure your computer has recognized your phone as a drive(s), like you said. If it's still not working we can wipe your phone and then install the OS. It's like starting off with a clean slate, but you're definitely going to want to backup everything first. You can find out how to backup with the stickied thread at the top of this forum. There might also be links in there on how to wipe your phone. Don't be scared about wiping the phone if you've backed everything up (including 3rd party apps).
    08-11-09 09:35 AM
    From the First Page of Lyricidal's hybrid Page..

"PLEASE Keep all questions/issues pertaining to this hybrid in it's rightful topic.
    Don't make a new topic with questions/issues - We'll gladly help you here and you will anger less people!
    Thanks and Enjoy! "

http://forums.crackberry.com/f95/953...hybrid-263404/
    08-11-09 09:47 AM
    Hmm that all sounds right except the part where it did nothing to your phone haha. Yes check the box on top, no need to browse. The only thing I can think of is to make sure your computer has recognized your phone as a drive(s), like you said. If it's still not working we can wipe your phone and then install the OS. It's like starting off with a clean slate, but you're definitely going to want to backup everything first. You can find out how to backup with the stickied thread at the top of this forum. There might also be links in there on how to wipe your phone. Don't be scared about wiping the phone if you've backed everything up (including 3rd party apps).
    Thank you I really appreciate your help. Being that I may have to wipe my phone I may just try to find a local bb addict to help. I need my phone for work and it would not be good to not have it for a day or 2 if it does not go well. Maybe I can trade my carpentry skills for some one else bb skills.
    But again thank you, you've a great help!

08-11-09 11:41 AM
    I have a question. I don't understand why I install .151 and the all in one installer to my computer but I only run the installer. I never touch .151. Am I missing a step here? I think i'm following the instructions. Haha. I'm having a hard time admitting defeat. Haha.

08-11-09 04:21 PM
    You must have the OS on the computer in order for Installer to install it to the phone.

Basically, Installer grabs the files and pushes them onto the phone.

Don't forget to RUN the .151 exe. Make sure it's on your computer, not just downloaded, by going into Add/Remove programs and double-checking there that .151 is actually INSTALLED to the computer.

Downloading it isn't enough, you must have RUN/INSTALLED it in order for loader to actually see it.

Also, don't forget to remove the vendor.xml file (C:Programs/Common Files/Research in Motion) after installing .151 before running Loader.

I never use Shrink-an-OS, but that may remover the vendor file for you?
    08-11-09 08:45 PM
    You must have the OS on the computer in order for Installer to install it to the phone.

Basically, Installer grabs the files and pushes them onto the phone.

Don't forget to RUN the .151 exe. Make sure it's on your computer, not just downloaded, by going into Add/Remove programs and double-checking there that .151 is actually INSTALLED to the computer.

Downloading it isn't enough, you must have RUN/INSTALLED it in order for loader to actually see it.

Also, don't forget to remove the vendor.xml file (C:Programs/Common Files/Research in Motion) after installing .151 before running Loader.

I never use Shrink-an-OS, but that may remover the vendor file for you?

i have 151 on my computer, i double clicked and hit run. install shield came up and and after hitting next and another 1 or 2 prompts, it asked if i want to remove blackberry device software 4.7.0 or if want to repair it. it also does this when i run the hybrid installer. i have ran the installer a few times thinking i did something wrong, so i dont know if that has any effect on anything. I've been hitting repair when that prompt comes up, is that correct?
    08-11-09 09:11 PM
    ok, i'm not sure how i did this but i just installed .151... just .151. its not shrunk, nor is it the hybrid. I guess i'm on the right track. haha
    08-11-09 10:01 PM
    so did you get it to work buddy? what hybrid are you running? does slacker and youtube and mms work?
    08-18-09 01:06 PM
    your on track from what i know so far, now you do the hybrid part! gj man, bigger cajones than I! I want to do this so bad, i heard txting/typing in browser is amazingly better/faster! but i dont wanna lose streaming!
    08-18-09 01:08 PM
    and if im not mistaken, shrink does remove the vendor, but you should check to make sure its gone. (i dont know where its at, but ive seen the location a million times) go to another tabbed browser, and search for 'CrackBurglars' Easy Custom OS Install.. it gives you everything you need to know! Sicne you already have .151, your probably very close to being finished!
    08-18-09 01:10 PM
    08-18-09 01:13 PM
    So far it works great! Props to Lyricidal. My storm seems so much more solid. I don't expect lags like I did with .148. Its almost like my old curve. Typing on the web and stuff is great. So far moms works just as well as well. I havn't been on you tube much since I switched but hasn't had any problems yet. I have problems with pandora and slacker though. You have to pull your batt to solve it. So if you listen often keep your charger with you. You lose 10-15% batt life every time. Haha. Despite the streaming issues I love it. They'll get sorted out at some point.
    I have the .151 6v 7 hybrid. As bad as I am with computers I was still able to do it, although it took like 6 or 7 tries. Haha. Well worth the agrevation. Good luck!

08-18-09 03:22 PM
    My basic formula for loading any OS/hybrid:

1. Delete any other OS from you PC (Not just the OS folder in Shared, delete it under Add/Remove Programs)
    2. Download and install the basic OS. (in your case .151)
    3. Copy the lyric hybrid java files into the OS folder under shared files.
    4. Run Shrink-A-OS (optional)
    5. Delete vendor.xml in the AppLoader folder if it's not already gone
    6. Disconnect from the internet
    7. Run AppLoader

I know you may have gotten it done but that's hopefully for future reference.
    08-19-09 06:09 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD